• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow Vehicle Down Again

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok I just think you may want to try the battery charger and if it sits all night with no issues when you start the engine you have the cause.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its at the Dealer right now.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its at the Dealer right now.
I wish you were closer to Tennessee, I would hook you up. There nothing wrong with the acm. And I don't want to get your hopes up but the service advisor is blowing smoke. We never, ever, have 2 techs in that kind of job. I've been in service for over 20 years and been running my Ford service department for 10. I order a new sync module on everything that's 17-19. I don't care if there's updates or not. You bought a warranty and let them pay. I get so frustrating hearing about people not getting good results from service departments. I'm sorry you don't have it back yet. If you feel like talking s vacation this way PM me and I'll get stuff done for you.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Fordman I really appreciate the advice and offer. If they can't resolve it I would definitely considering coming down your way. It drives fine, just blows hot defrost air and I don't have gauges or sync. Will see what they say tomorrow. I can't afford to lose it or have it sit, it is my every day driver.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Fordman I really appreciate the advice and offer. If they can't resolve it I would definitely considering coming down your way. It drives fine, just blows hot defrost air and I don't have gauges or sync. Will see what they say tomorrow. I can't afford to lose it or have it sit, it is my every day driver.
Do you have Ford premium care warranty or is it a aftermarket warranty?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ford Premium Care. The vehicle was a CPO that I bought in April of 2020 so it came with a 1 year warranty. I purchased a 5 year 150,000 mile extension at time of purchase. The vehicle had 72k miles on it and now it has 86k on it. The Premium Care just kicked in May of this year.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ford Premium Care. The vehicle was a CPO that I bought in April of 2020 so it came with a 1 year warranty. I purchased a 5 year 150,000 mile extension at time of purchase. The vehicle had 72k miles on it and now it has 86k on it. The Premium Care just kicked in May of this year.
That irks me so much, it just makes me so mad at some service departments. I'll give you a perfect example, I've been fixing one for four days just cause I've been fighting a hack that worked on it before. Bad electrical connections, then bad vacuum connections, it's just so frustrating to follow behind someone who doesn't care. If there's anything I can help with I will try hardest, as long as it's at a Ford dealership. I know ford is not perfect

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That irks me so much, it just makes me so mad at some service departments. I'll give you a perfect example, I've been fixing one for four days just cause I've been fighting a hack that worked on it before. Bad electrical connections, then bad vacuum connections, it's just so frustrating to follow behind someone who doesn't care. If there's anything I can help with I will try hardest, as long as it's at a Ford dealership. I know ford is not perfect but I try to help everyone the best I can.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't like to get to into on here but as I said pm me if you need some dealership help, I will do what I can, just remember hunny works better than salt.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That irks me so much, it just makes me so mad at some service departments. I'll give you a perfect example, I've been fixing one for four days just cause I've been fighting a hack that worked on it before. Bad electrical connections, then bad vacuum connections, it's just so frustrating to follow behind someone who doesn't care. If there's anything I can help with I will try hardest, as long as it's at a Ford dealership. I know ford is not perfect
Again Thanks. Yes it is a Ford Dealership. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, since they did get me in right away when everyone else told to pound dirt. Will see what they say tomorrow.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors , sorry to read about your Ford Expedition problems. I had a 2010 limited and loved it. Never had any problems with the sync system in it but for a scare when the self leaving rear suspension system started acting up.

Now I have a 2012 xlt and the sync system sucks, no blue tooth so I connect with a cable that the head unit does not always recognize. The xlt is also missing a lot of other bells and whistles that the limited has.

Covid shortages have driven the prices of new and used expeditions through the roof. I looked at a few el limiteds (predecessor to the max) but even those are over priced. for comparison I bought the 2010 four years ago for $16k, the same model year with comparable miles about 130k would cost me $21k today. How the F?

Anyway, I hope you are able to clear your issues soon, if it were me I’d be tempted to pull the climate control fuse to get on the water for a day or so before the season is over.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Again Thanks. Yes it is a Ford Dealership. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, since they did get me in right away when everyone else told to pound dirt. Will see what they say tomorrow.
I hear ya, it's busy as could be. I can tell you that we have been 2-3 weeks behind the past month or so. Just been super busy.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors , sorry to read about your Ford Expedition problems. I had a 2010 limited and loved it. Never had any problems with the sync system in it but for a scare when the self leaving rear suspension system started acting up.

Now I have a 2012 xlt and the sync system sucks, no blue tooth so I connect with a cable that the head unit does not always recognize. The xlt is also missing a lot of other bells and whistles that the limited has.

Covid shortages have driven the prices of new and used expeditions through the roof. I looked at a few el limiteds (predecessor to the max) but even those are over priced. for comparison I bought the 2010 four years ago for $16k, the same model year with comparable miles about 130k would cost me $21k today. How the F?

Anyway, I hope you are able to clear your issues soon, if it were me I’d be tempted to pull the climate control fuse to get on the water for a day or so before the season is over.
Yeah Ronnie. I was looking at new ones over the past week or recent used ones. They lost their minds on those prices. When i had my last 2017 F150, never had a problem Thing was rock solid. Turned it in and got this, starting to regret that decision, but i have hope. Really like this one, just getting tired of the issues. Tows like a frieght train. Maybe i just got unlucky with this one

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, SUV is still at dealership. They now have ordered an APIM module, on will try that tomorrow.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update where this stands today.

Just spoke with the Service Guy. He said they replaced the APIM and it is working great now. The Tech said he has never seen these issues related to the APIM failing, ever......... Probably because I suggested it based on the info from Forum members here... W/E. At least it looks like it is resolved. They are going to test it for a bit more and then if everything is ok, let me know when I can come pick it up today.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Update. Got a call from the Dealer, they are having issues now and think it may be something else besides ACM. They said they have two Tech's on it with meters and a lot of stuff pulled apart and they cannot figure out why the problem is happening. They are not sure what to do and not sure when I would get the vehicle back. :(

Hopefully I get a better call tomorrow.
Intermittent electrical problems are the absolute worst. Early in my electronics career, I had to repair an old piece of high priority classified communications equipment that would regularly fail at unpredicable times. I'd quickly visually check the buss glass fuse of course and move on through the power system. After about 15min, it would magically start functioning again for no apparent reason. After hours of this troubleshooting game, I finally went in with the power hot and found the problem - it was the glass fuse all along. The fuse would eventually get a little warm, and the internal wire would sag enough on one end to very slightly break contact but still look good. When it would cool, it would resume it's connected position as resume functioning. Grrr.....

Sorry about it being an expensive fix and hope it was the root cause.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update where this stands today.

Just spoke with the Service Guy. He said they replaced the APIM and it is working great now. The Tech said he has never seen these issues related to the APIM failing, ever......... Probably because I suggested it based on the info from Forum members here... W/E. At least it looks like it is resolved. They are going to test it for a bit more and then if everything is ok, let me know when I can come pick it up today.
I would bet the update crashed it. That is not the brain but it is a driver for the brain.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Warranty covered it all. All I paid was $145.00. Picked it up. On the work order it indicates that they drove it around for 1 hour as well and did Heat Soak tests to verify.

Drove nice home, everything worked. Pretty happy at the moment.

20210909_140252.jpg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Love when warranty’s pay off.

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Are you still going to the boat show or fishing instead? Since you got the tow vehicle back.