• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow Vehicle Down Again

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn....I've got the expedition on my short list of a new tow vehicle this winter.
I have read the Expedition Forums and hunted around pretty good on the two issues I had, the trans line and this one and it is very rare to have these issues. Otherwise the Vehicle is fantastic for towing and the family. Walked through the dealership looking at the new ones this morning when I dropped off mine. Since I don't have any Ford Discounts, the leases on them are around $660-$700 for me, and I just don't want to pay that. This is for a Limited 4x4 with HD Tow package which is rated at 9,200 lbs towing.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly, if this is going to take a long time, or not be covered under warranty, I would switch out the radio to aftermarket. Pretty easy DIY job, and can probably get the parts in 1-2 days. Ford radio's are some of the worst in the industry.
@adrianp89 Unfortunately everything is tied into my Sync.... Climate, GPS, Apps, Health, and guage display controls. He said he would let me know today. They charge a $125 diagnosis fee, and if it is covered under warranty then that is waived. If I have the do the non warranty work that is waived. If I pick it up and do the work myself I just pay the $125.

scbruet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
OK cool. I'm looking at used ones, while still high, the cost for a new lease is crazy.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, Mine is a 2017. The used jump in price starting in 2018 with the change in body style. Recommend you find one with the HD Tow Package installed if you plan on towing long distances, although without would work fine.. I went with Bench seat for second row that way I get can a total of 8 in the truck on way to lake including me. I would of also liked the MAX for extra trunk room but couldn't find one with the tow package.

Maybe someday when there is too much Inventory and demand is down, they will be more reasonable and give offers.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This happened to me on a couple vehicles. I believe it's a software issue. It usually happens after a update. If it was a head unit, there is a place you buy a new head unit on exchange.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm, I had auto update on the Sync. Wonder if it was that. Although I did a master reset on the sync when everything started working again on Sunday. Perhaps it updated again. I should of checked the Sync version before I turned it.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmm, I had auto update on the Sync. Wonder if it was that. Although I did a master reset on the sync when everything started working again on Sunday. Perhaps it updated again. I should of checked the Sync version before I turned it.
Yep that is what I do. A master reset

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@adrianp89 Unfortunately everything is tied into my Sync.... Climate, GPS, Apps, Health, and guage display controls. He said he would let me know today. They charge a $125 diagnosis fee, and if it is covered under warranty then that is waived. If I have the do the non warranty work that is waived. If I pick it up and do the work myself I just pay the $125.
Come on lol its 2021... You can retain all factory options and gain more options going aftermarket.

Obviously not a great route if its just an update, but at $800+ it's a great choice.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Come on lol its 2021... You can retain all factory options and gain more options going aftermarket.

Obviously not a great route if its just an update, but at $800+ it's a great choice.
Ok, will keep that in mind. Don't know much about new head units for vehicles. Just got notified the Tech just started working on it.

And I thought I was going Fishing this afternoon...... Prepping gear yesterday.

1630421374880.jpeg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Ok, will keep that in mind. Don't know much about new head units for vehicles. Just got notified the Tech just started working on it.
Hopefully just a manual software push fixes it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well they said it wasn't throwing any codes, and they just did a master reset again and everything is working. I had automatic updates on for the Sync. I now turned that off. Perhaps bad download or something. We will see how it runs. Basically cost me $144 for them to tell me they did what I did on Sunday when it was working again and that there are no other codes.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update. Got a call from the Dealer, they are having issues now and think it may be something else besides ACM. They said they have two Tech's on it with meters and a lot of stuff pulled apart and they cannot figure out why the problem is happening. They are not sure what to do and not sure when I would get the vehicle back. :(

Hopefully I get a better call tomorrow.

Last edited:

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Update. Got a call from the Dealer, they are having issues now and think it may be something else besides ACM. They said they have two Tech's on it with meters and a lot of stuff pulled apart and they cannot figure out way the problem is happening. They are not sure what to do and not sure when I would get the vehicle back. :(

I wish you luck 🍀 on this,

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update. Got a call from the Dealer, they are having issues now and think it may be something else besides ACM. They said they have two Tech's on it with meters and a lot of stuff pulled apart and they cannot figure out why the problem is happening. They are not sure what to do and not sure when I would get the vehicle back. :(

Every time I have brought my 2017 F150 which has the same platinum 100k mile warranty as you, they provide a rental truck for me to drive until they are done, you might get a free tow vehicle in the meantime if you ask nice :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Every time I have brought my 2017 F150 which has the same platinum 100k mile warranty as you, they provide a rental truck for me to drive until they are done, you might get a free tow vehicle in the meantime if you ask nice :)
They don't have any, everyone is bitching about it when they bring their vehicles in the service guy said. Basically they have sold all of their rental / demo vehicles. Nothing to give out. It is an issue for a lot of dealers. If you go to a rental company like hertz or enterprise, they want $125 to $150 per day and most don't have one available.

The Caveat though is this is the only Dealership who could get me in this week. Others where 2-4 weeks out for an appointment.

I sent an email to my AAA agent to see what if anything will they cover. Going to see what the dealer tells me tomorrow when he calls. If no tow vehicle, looks like it could be Wineries and Wine Tasting on Saturday and a Cabela's run for some shopping...

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They don't have any, everyone is bitching about it when they bring their vehicles in the service guy said. Basically they have sold all of their rental / demo vehicles. Nothing to give out. It is an issue for a lot of dealers. If you go to a rental company like hertz or enterprise, they want $125 to $150 per day and most don't have one available.

I sent an email to my AAA agent to see what if anything will they cover. Going to see what the dealer tells me tomorrow when he calls. If no tow vehicle, looks like it could be Wineries and Wine Tasting on Saturday and a Cabela's run for some shopping...
Sorry to hear that, that totally sucks. Might have to do some negotiations since they can’t provide the full warranty service you paid for…

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that, that totally sucks. Might have to do some negotiations since they can’t provide the full warranty service you paid for…
TBH, at this point, I just want my truck fixed and fixed right. I can do other things with the Admiral this weekend that we haven't done in a while. Wineries, shopping, the Fair, etc. Come next week if it isn't resolved I will be getting annoyed.

Have a few mods on the boat I still haven't done, so this forces me to get them done. :)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not a Ford fan but I did have a 1960 ford Galaxy 500 with a 292-v8 tower quad that I raced in stock car races on the ice back in 1970 to 1972. Just wondering if you did a load test on the battery , if you have a weak cell and the battery drops power while it is sitting not in use and you crank the starter it could be drawing the voltage so low during the start up that it is triggering the electrical malfunction, but only after it site overnight and drops it's voltage.
Or you have an electrical draw bringing down the battery, or perhaps a bad starter that is drawing more amps than it should.
My Ford had an AM radio so it did not have those issued.
If you have a sealed battery open the cover and see if any of the cells are low if so add distilled water to them.
If one is really low it is probably going bad.
A volt meter hooked to the battery when you start the car can reveal the voltage drop during that process .
A poor mans load tester can show you if you have a bad cell.
Hook up a volt meter and some jumper cables ,position the volt meter so you can stand away from the battery and see the volt meter while you short the jumper cables to put a load on the battery, do it several feet away from the battery, also stand where you can see in the cells of the battery and look for bubbles in a cell if you see them in a cell as you put the load on the battery the cell is going bad . It really sounds like the voltage is dropping and messing things up. I use an old dodge high top van as a beach wagon and I keep a small float charger on it as it may sit for weeks without being used this keeps the battery charged up so it starts when I do get to go out on the water .

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not a Ford fan but I did have a 1960 ford Galaxy 500 with a 292-v8 tower quad that I raced in stock car races on the ice back in 1970 to 1972. Just wondering if you did a load test on the battery , if you have a weak cell and the battery drops power while it is sitting not in use and you crank the starter it could be drawing the voltage so low during the start up that it is triggering the electrical malfunction, but only after it site overnight and drops it's voltage.
Or you have an electrical draw bringing down the battery, or perhaps a bad starter that is drawing more amps than it should.
My Ford had an AM radio so it did not have those issued.
If you have a sealed battery open the cover and see if any of the cells are low if so add distilled water to them.
If one is really low it is probably going bad.
A volt meter hooked to the battery when you start the car can reveal the voltage drop during that process .
A poor mans load tester can show you if you have a bad cell.
Hook up a volt meter and some jumper cables ,position the volt meter so you can stand away from the battery and see the volt meter while you short the jumper cables to put a load on the battery, do it several feet away from the battery, also stand where you can see in the cells of the battery and look for bubbles in a cell if you see them in a cell as you put the load on the battery the cell is going bad . It really sounds like the voltage is dropping and messing things up. I use an old dodge high top van as a beach wagon and I keep a small float charger on it as it may sit for weeks without being used this keeps the battery charged up so it starts when I do get to go out on the water .
Great Advice.

I have a new tested Battery in it that I put it on Saturday. Also did Drop Tests on the wires both positive and negative, as least the ones I could get access to coming from the battery.

Totally think you are on the right track. I have a funny feeling one of the cables, maybe a negative that is tied way down where I can't easily get to it is lifting or corroded of the connection. Or a corroded positive or where it was rubbing against something and wore through. I mentioned this to the Tech, but basically got an eye roll that he doesn't think so, etc.

Put this battery in from Auto Zone, one of my staff at the office mentioned is not that good, but W/E.

Duralast Gold Battery 65-DLG Group Size 65 850 CCA (autozone.com)

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It'd sync I betcha. Happened twice. You could always look at forscan and look at the option values compared to values that you can compare on a foreman forum