• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing 2016 242 without cover. Is it safe?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I’m towing about 175 miles tomorrow at highway speed. Can the wet storage doors open while towing? I usually tow with a cover but I kind of want to try without it. I just don’t want my stuff going everywhere.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At highway speeds, you will learn very quickly if there is an issue. I have blown the rear center cushion out of my boat at WOT (43 mph) so hitting 65+ can tear anything loose loose. If you want to be sure you don’t have to buy any replacement parts, throw the cover on. Unfortunately I don’t have your model boat so i cant speak from experience.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We tow locally without a cover, including a short highway jaunt. The cover on the connext screen got loose once, so we stow that now. 175 miles and I'd probably put the cover on, to keep bugs and dirt out more than anything.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Cover it is then. Kinda what I was leaning towards anyways. Thanks.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good call @Pinhacker71 .

Here is some additional food for thought.
1. The least expensive cushion is the rear filler cushion and it’s over a $100 new.
2. You cannot buy individual pieces of the carpet kit, not new anyway. A complete set New is over $500. There is an option to upgrade to hydro turf or seadek for the same or a premium, respectively.
3. If you want to show of your boat/trailer queen off while on the road, consider a large bungee based cargo net with plastic hooks. I have tan one for use as an emergency spare (you never know when your cover will fail or when someone will slash it open) it works great and is inexpensive (under $35) but can be challenging to untangle before use.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now I always trailer with the cover on. Back when I had carpet (ah, the bad old days), I trailered without on the highway (filler cushion stowed). But the carpeting snap on the aft port side came lose. Before I could notice/stop, it flapped around in the wind and destroyed that corner of the carpet and the snap.

So, yes, you can lose cushions. But the wind can also destroy stuff at 65+ mph.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tow locally without a cover, I stow filler cushion, actually I hard use anyway
Recline your captain chairs all the way back and will prevent back seats from lifting up
I am thinking about coming up with some kind of bungee for the bow seats to prevent from lifting up / maybe eye hook on floor and one under seat?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do a 5 mile trek to the river w/o cover if the weather is nice.
If you tow at night, get a lot of bugs. I think @Julian uses painter's tape to protect the tower? I may try that for my next long haul.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes I'm going to painters tape my tower from now on. Wished it came in black lol. The bugs are a PITA! I may try Saran Wrap instead just to blend it a little better than blue or green painters tape.

98% of the time I tow with my cover on. Yesterday being so nice and going out solo I just didn't want to deal with it at the ramp so I didn't tow with mine on and took it slow on the interstate (60-65 mph tops) during the 45 minute trip to the lake. I would always tow with the cover in if you are doing any sort of lengthy trek. Just too many things on the road that could fly up and ruin your gel coat or windshield to take the chance.

Definitely tow with it on just to be safe and protect your toy.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I generally tow with my cover on...I figure it serves two purposes: keeps expensive stuff from flying out, and keeps prying eyes out. As my dad always said, 'out of sight is out of mind."

That being said, I do tow locally about 15 miles round trip each year when going over to the muscle inspection station and back. In that short distance where about 10 of those miles are at 55, I managed to loose the dog water bowl. It doesn't take much...

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Cover on. Great day on lake. Bugs all over tower. Even my 12 yo commented on how nasty it looks. Painters tape next time.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score