• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing Stranded Boat Tips

rockinthesuburbs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hello-

Within the past month I’ve come across 3 boats stranded on the lake and towed 2 in (3rd was able to start back up and get back to the marina). I hooked up to the tower but after reading a few posts about the tow point breaking pulling tubers, I’m thinking that’s probably not the best place to tow another boat from.

So question is: what is the best point to attach while towing another boat? Most tow lines are too big for the rear attach point- would one of the cleats be better off?

Also what speed should I shoot for? In both cases I held at around 5 mph- is faster or slower better or just personal preference? It didn’t seem to stress the motor in either instance but want to make sure I don’t negatively impact my own boat in some way.

What else should I consider or be aware of when towing another boat? I’m glad to be helpful as I would want someone to help me- just want to make sure I cover all my bases. Thanks!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I tow from the lower attach point where I connect ski ropes. This is plenty strong in my experience.

I tow about 5 mph. Even if your boat can go faster, I wouldn’t for safety reasons. The tow boat is very slow to react to course changes.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should tow from your side rear cleat. It is substantially stronger than the rear tow point, and those can rip out much easier then the side cleat. If you ever get a chance to watch a commercial tow, or talk to them, that is what they recommend.

Also if you have a concern then use both the Port and Starboard rear side cleats and hook them in a "Y". Additionally if you are in heavy seas and nasty chop towing a boat alongside via the mid cleat could be better, I have seen that as well.

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
In non choppy waters, I personally have used the two U bolts on the very bottom of the boat. Obviously this is harder to do if you're in rough waters.

I also carry a few very strong carabiners. This allows me to make a self equalizing tow point. It's a trick I learned in whitewater paddling whereby you need to ensure to equalize the load at times to pull on a pinned kayak/canoe. Very simple to do as you can see in the picture. If the boat goes to one side or the other, it will still pull equally on both U bolts/cleats. I make one with some rope.

1658662151120.png

four_the_kids

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
From what I've gathered, towing should be been at the boats strongest points (from which manufacturers claim), the tie downs (at the bow, and at the two rear points).
I also understand that the tow vessel also takes on the responsibility of excepting any damaged occurred during the tow of the towed vessel (while enroute, and/or during docking to tow point).
Something to check with your insurer, or state where your boat is registered.
We'll always lend a hand to a fellow boater stranded on the water (or at the dock), as they are always happy just to get back safe and sound.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After reading the thread about tow services here; https://jetboaters.net/threads/towing-services-lake-michigan-winnebago-chain.43149/ I was reminded of a Capt Steve video on bridling but I can’t find that video so I went looking at U tube university and found the video below.

This is an easy way to tow another boat on center while splitting the load between your two stern cleats.

Bringing the disabled boat into dock.

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The below picture shows Mike at https://www.burlingtonharborlaunchandtow.com/ side tied to a big Junneau, in calm conditions, as they enter our marina. You can see the USCG bringing up the aft. They had been clearing traffic from a busy harbor prior to the picture. I took this pic from our boat, shared it with Mike and he uses it for advertising now.

20240113_092403.jpg

Last edited: