• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yeah I misunderstood, but had since learned that! For sure, really loving it.

If I had to put checks in the flaw section... It gets a bad rap for hard suspension. I guess I can see that. If you're coming from a luxury vehicle. It is harsh, but no harsher than our pathfinder we have. So Its Noticeable but not a big issue here. I suppose it highlights a juxtaposition to how nice and futuristic the interior is, ad the buttery smooth drivetrain, putting a microscope on the harshness....

The weak metal on the front trunk. feels quite flimsy when closing it. Even using their technique, I Feel like paint could crack at some point maybe on a cold day. Have to be careful.... maybe add an autocloser...I suppose Ill get used to it.
Yep, the hood is very thin to save weight.

We store stuff that we almost never use (mobile charging cable, jack "pucks") in the frunks, otherwise we only use them on trips.

If you want to soften the ride, dial down your tire pressures. It also depends if you have a performance model and what size tires you are running.

Edited to add... My brother has over 300k miles on his S and uses his frunk daily (he stores work tools in there). Use the two palm method and you'll be fine.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep, the hood is very thin to save weight.

We store stuff that we almost never use (mobile charging cable, jack "pucks") in the frunks, otherwise we only use them on trips.

If you want to soften the ride, dial down your tire pressures. It also depends if you have a performance model and what size tires you are running.

Edited to add... My brother has over 300k miles on his S and uses his frunk daily (he stores work tools in there). Use the two palm method and you'll be fine.
300k wow. thanks for the replies-really good to hear on the high mileage car. im curious to his history with it. issues... etc.

tires, interesting thought on the pressures... I noticed mine are all at 46psi. that seems oddly high. May try that. Again-not a super issue for me. Just noticeable. We went with the 19" partially for the ride. partially for cheaper replacement.

LR not performance.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
300k wow. thanks for the replies-really good to hear on the high mileage car. im curious to his history with it. issues... etc.

tires, interesting thought on the pressures... I noticed mine are all at 46psi. that seems oddly high. May try that. Again-not a super issue for me. Just noticeable. We went with the 19" partially for the ride. partially for cheaper replacement.

LR not performance.
In addition to the high miles, he drives HARD.

He has a 2014 P85. The early S handles were problematic both he and we (on our 2013 S85) have had multiple repaired or replaced. They have finally come up with a better version.

Outside of that, I've done brakes on mine (150k miles) once, he's done them a couple times and his air suspension has had a few fittings replaced.

That's about it for both of our cars.

With the exception of tires. Depending how you drive, all that torque and Regen eat tires quickly.

My M3P with about 30k miles hasn't had any service in it's first 2 years other than tire rotations.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In addition to the high miles, he drives HARD.

He has a 2014 P85. The early S handles were problematic both he and we (on our 2013 S85) have had multiple repaired or replaced. They have finally come up with a better version.

Outside of that, I've done brakes on mine (150k miles) once, he's done them a couple times and his air suspension has had a few fittings replaced.

That's about it for both of our cars.

With the exception of tires. Depending how you drive, all that torque and Regen eat tires quickly.

My M3P with about 30k miles hasn't had any service in it's first 2 years other than tire rotations.
fantastic. I hope it stays that way. For me too. :)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Of course I'm partial to Audis, but this looks effing amazing for an EV. Range isn't great by current standards, and tow rating is marginal at 4k (enough for my 190 though), but it makes up for it in appearance. Such a sharp looking ride. Would be an excellent around town family hauler!

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Of course I'm partial to Audis, but this looks effing amazing for an EV. Range isn't great by current standards, and tow rating is marginal at 4k (enough for my 190 though), but it makes up for it in appearance. Such a sharp looking ride. Would be an excellent around town family hauler!

I like Audis too, but LOL at the totally unnecessary (and range defeating) huge grill.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like Audis too, but LOL at the totally unnecessary (and range defeating) huge grill.
Funny I do the same LOL at the snub nosed Tesla's. Might be superior aero, but it looks terrible.

Different strokes for different folks eh?

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Funny I do the same LOL at the snub nosed Tesla's. Might be superior aero, but it looks terrible.

Different strokes for different folks eh?
Maybe Audi can include enough unnecessary "features" like the grill to keep internal combustion fans happy. Chrome exhaust tips? V12 sounds? Pretend oil changes?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe Audi can include enough unnecessary "features" like the grill to keep internal combustion fans happy. Chrome exhaust tips? V12 sounds? Pretend oil changes?
Maybe Tesla can iron out manufacturing and design issues to get car guy think they're worth the money. Tighter panel gaps? Decent quality interior panels? Aesthetic designs that don't scream "I'm a tech company trying to build a car?"

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice they used a Yamaha there.

Shew they're hard to watch though. I had to push through the typical "youtube intro" to get into the meat of the video. Would've like to have seen a close up of the hitch mods. Looks like it held OK for the initial tests though.

No doubt it has the power and suspension. Just need to work out that loaded range.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Maybe Tesla can iron out manufacturing and design issues to get car guy think they're worth the money. Tighter panel gaps? Decent quality interior panels? Aesthetic designs that don't scream "I'm a tech company trying to build a car?"
Maybe a the 1970s Charger styling cue will do it for you:

They need some sound to go with it though. The distinct whistle of a HellCat is just amazing.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe a the 1970s Charger styling cue will do it for you:

They need some sound to go with it though. The distinct whistle of a HellCat is just amazing.
Wish they had some better images of that thing. All I saw was a bunch of smoke, and one guy peaking a cover over the front.

I've been considering an intake on the Q7 to get the whistle/whine of the supercharger more prominent. I've heard a few A6's that have opened up the intake a bunch and they sound very similar (minus the big V8 exhaust behind it). Not sure how much I would like that whine while towing though. Spends a lot of time in boost with the boat attached :D

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Wish they had some better images of that thing. All I saw was a bunch of smoke, and one guy peaking a cover over the front.

I've been considering an intake on the Q7 to get the whistle/whine of the supercharger more prominent. I've heard a few A6's that have opened up the intake a bunch and they sound very similar (minus the big V8 exhaust behind it). Not sure how much I would like that whine while towing though. Spends a lot of time in boost with the boat attached :D
I think we all wish for more photos lol. The way they launched the Demon - I wouldn't expect anything for a while. But give me a modern 1970s Charger that will smoke a Model S Plaid...... where do I sign up?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's some interesting analysis, and power usage figures in this article that just came across me feed this morning.

Here's an interesting article linked in the CleanTechnica article, originally from C&D

I'm glad to see the discussion about loaded range start to appear in some mainstream vehicle outlets. It's often just lightly glossed over when talking about ICE powered vehicles, as nothing buy a footnote, or maybe a number quoted in parenthesis. EV's have the current disadvantage of lower power storage density to fight with.

Had this discussion this weekend with someone this weekend. You can get an F150 with a 36gal tank right now. Assuming 33.7 kWhr/gal that's a whopping 1,213 kWhr of storage. Almost 10x the amount of energy that largest battery pack can store in the new lightning. I dunno about you guys, but I'm ready for new battery tech to appear to help with this particular problem.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's some interesting analysis, and power usage figures in this article that just came across me feed this morning.

Here's an interesting article linked in the CleanTechnica article, originally from C&D

I'm glad to see the discussion about loaded range start to appear in some mainstream vehicle outlets. It's often just lightly glossed over when talking about ICE powered vehicles, as nothing buy a footnote, or maybe a number quoted in parenthesis. EV's have the current disadvantage of lower power storage density to fight with.

Had this discussion this weekend with someone this weekend. You can get an F150 with a 36gal tank right now. Assuming 33.7 kWhr/gal that's a whopping 1,213 kWhr of storage. Almost 10x the amount of energy that largest battery pack can store in the new lightning. I dunno about you guys, but I'm ready for new battery tech to appear to help with this particular problem.
very much.

two months with the Y now. and a cross country trip under its belt. 2100 miles across interstate 80 cost $140 in charging. $388 is the estimate for the Patfhinder. For regular driving, EV is the way for us....

But towing.... definitely not sure.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
very much.

two months with the Y now. and a cross country trip under its belt. 2100 miles across interstate 80 cost $140 in charging. $388 is the estimate for the Patfhinder. For regular driving, EV is the way for us....

But towing.... definitely not sure.
Yea, I think wifes next car will be an EV. She doesn't have to tow anything.

Mine might or might not be an EV. Depends on a whole slew of things including potential for new boat, maybe a camper, Job changes (potential for a sales position that would have the company buying me a car and paying fuel)......So many things.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yea, I think wifes next car will be an EV. She doesn't have to tow anything.

Mine might or might not be an EV. Depends on a whole slew of things including potential for new boat, maybe a camper, Job changes (potential for a sales position that would have the company buying me a car and paying fuel)......So many things.
Yeah, I dont drive much, I spend most of my time on the bike, so the EV for ME, doesnt exactly make sense, UNLESS my car breaks down and could used replaced. Until then, Ill just be a little jelly of the mrs. getting to drive it every day lol Its REAL hard gettin back into the car and driving. So loud, so slow... LOL!

We didnt buy the FSD, but the sub became active the day before we left on vaca so tried it. I dont think I want to keep it but it will be hard to give up. Lane change assist, summon... AND I didnt even realize this, but it parallel parks. lol Downtown breckenridge, just stoppin for some ice cream, i set up to park, wife notices a new button, pushes it, car parks itself. Weird but amazing.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I dont drive much, I spend most of my time on the bike, so the EV for ME, doesnt exactly make sense, UNLESS my car breaks down and could used replaced. Until then, Ill just be a little jelly of the mrs. getting to drive it every day lol Its REAL hard gettin back into the car and driving. So loud, so slow... LOL!

We didnt buy the FSD, but the sub became active the day before we left on vaca so tried it. I dont think I want to keep it but it will be hard to give up. Lane change assist, summon... AND I didnt even realize this, but it parallel parks. lol Downtown breckenridge, just stoppin for some ice cream, i set up to park, wife notices a new button, pushes it, car parks itself. Weird but amazing.
I cross the I64 bridge over the Ohio River between KY and IN every day on my commute. They're doing construction on it now, and it's not bad until one yaywho tries to be too aggressive, or heaven forbid there's a crash. Then it's full on gridlock. Turns my 30min commute into 75min pretty quick.

I've been enjoying the crap out of the pseudo self driving features on the Q7. Active Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, and Traffic Jam Assist make it where all I HAVE to do is sit there with a hand on the wheel. No input needed, just have to touch it so it knows I'm there. I totally get the benefits of some of the self-drive tech when you have to spend absurd amounts of time in the car. Not sure I'm prepared for a subscription model at this point (hell I just got Spotify this year), but having these features baked in is certainly the wave of the future, and I'm glad to see them working well in these common/non edge cases. Still have some concerns over not being in control, but I suspect they'll fade over time.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I cross the I64 bridge over the Ohio River between KY and IN every day on my commute. They're doing construction on it now, and it's not bad until one yaywho tries to be too aggressive, or heaven forbid there's a crash. Then it's full on gridlock. Turns my 30min commute into 75min pretty quick.

I've been enjoying the crap out of the pseudo self driving features on the Q7. Active Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, and Traffic Jam Assist make it where all I HAVE to do is sit there with a hand on the wheel. No input needed, just have to touch it so it knows I'm there. I totally get the benefits of some of the self-drive tech when you have to spend absurd amounts of time in the car. Not sure I'm prepared for a subscription model at this point (hell I just got Spotify this year), but having these features baked in is certainly the wave of the future, and I'm glad to see them working well in these common/non edge cases. Still have some concerns over not being in control, but I suspect they'll fade over time.
Yep. If im on the inside of right turn, and someone is coming at me on the outside in the opposite lane, I simply cant do it. I override every time. feels like im going to tbone them! :) :)

The standard autopilot is fine on tesla. Takes the edge off just as you say. It just keeps you in your lane. I dont think paying for the extraneous stuff is worth it.