• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You reminded me to check. The Gt350 has Voodoo, the Gt500 is Predator. Not sure I'd want that for an engine name, haha.
doh, yep

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mid 4s' in a truck is pretty fast. I test drove a roush Nitemare (5.0 with a supercharger at 650 HO) 0-60 in 3.9. Love the power, the gas gauge move almost as quick as the speedometer, except down. I like the lightning , and might look at it for a purchase. I really want to drive a Rivian though.
Sure, it does 0 to 60 quick. But I don't want that in something 5 feet off the ground. I want something that's lowered, with a low center of gravity, that can do turns and twisters too. To me, tall and ground clearance look slow. If they're not slow, doesn't matter, still looks it. I wouldn't be happy with a jacked up truck regardless of how fast it is.

4s is pretty quick, but for that money, I'd buy a TRX. Actually, I wouldn't, because I don't like big lifted trucks. I'd buy the Hellcat Durango. But you get my point. The TRX is faster, you have no range anxiety, you don't have to remember to charge it nightly, will hold value better, and you can always build it to go even faster.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sure, it does 0 to 60 quick. But I don't want that in something 5 feet off the ground. I want something that's lowered, with a low center of gravity, that can do turns and twisters too. To me, tall and ground clearance look slow. If they're not slow, doesn't matter, still looks it. I wouldn't be happy with a jacked up truck regardless of how fast it is.

4s is pretty quick, but for that money, I'd buy a TRX. Actually, I wouldn't, because I don't like big lifted trucks. I'd buy the Hellcat Durango. But you get my point. The TRX is faster, you have no range anxiety, you don't have to remember to charge it nightly, will hold value better, and you can always build it to go even faster.
oh I hear you. That truck took turns at speed like a concrete truck. Which is why I opted for this20210317_090411.jpg
GT performance pack1 car. Its tuned , CAI, Borla S type exhaust. Then I supplemented my hauling capability with a 2002 Tundra with 89k miles.
20210520_125850.jpg
My plans are to drive this out until the Rivian is in at least year 2

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boss is an early release edition reservation holder for Rivian. he's been told he should have his in the next few months. I'm REALLY REALLY interested to see how it stacks up and works. He tows a trailer from time to time with his F150, but it's always around town. Said he's rarely ventured more than a hundred miles in a day with the trailer. Should work out really well for him I would think. Daily commute is around 30mi one way, so he's well covered there. His wife is already in a Model X, so he's full on board with ditching the gas stations.

Rivian is opening a store in Chicago I think. Might be able to get a test drive there by the end of the year.

In other thoughts. Did you guys see the estimated weight on the new Hummer? Over 9k lbs curb weight. HOLY CRAP!
The Rivians are hideous. They look like a fisher price designed truck. Truly, you couldn't pay me to drive one.

The new Hummer truck is interesting looking, but yeah... EVs are heavy. If they get popular, that's going to be a huge problem with infrastructure. Think of how many bridges aren't built to hold a bunch of 6000 plus pound EVs on them. There's no shortage of bridges that couldn't support 2 Hummer EVs on them.

There's a big underlying issue with BEVs. They don't make sense. They are too expensive for the big commuters that want something small and efficient to commute in a city. So instead they're building hella expensive gigantic and inefficient monsters that have absurd 0 to 60. Someone who can afford a 60 plus thousand dollar car doesn't need to be worried about fuel economy, unless they really can't afford it.

The whole way EVs have been rolled out has been flawed from the get go. It's been a taxpayer funded handout to rich people, vs something that actually makes sense. It'd have made more sense for the government to do no tax credits, but offer 15k towards any municipality that wanted to buy an EV bus. Convert your busses to EV, get money to help.

But of course, that doesn't make congress money, so they didn't do that.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Rivians are hideous. They look like a fisher price designed truck. Truly, you couldn't pay me to drive one.

The new Hummer truck is interesting looking, but yeah... EVs are heavy. If they get popular, that's going to be a huge problem with infrastructure. Think of how many bridges aren't built to hold a bunch of 6000 plus pound EVs on them. There's no shortage of bridges that couldn't support 2 Hummer EVs on them.

There's a big underlying issue with BEVs. They don't make sense. They are too expensive for the big commuters that want something small and efficient to commute in a city. So instead they're building hella expensive gigantic and inefficient monsters that have absurd 0 to 60. Someone who can afford a 60 plus thousand dollar car doesn't need to be worried about fuel economy, unless they really can't afford it.

The whole way EVs have been rolled out has been flawed from the get go. It's been a taxpayer funded handout to rich people, vs something that actually makes sense. It'd have made more sense for the government to do no tax credits, but offer 15k towards any municipality that wanted to buy an EV bus. Convert your busses to EV, get money to help.

No, they don't look like the typical truck. They absolutely are better looking than the Tesla truck. This is why I want to drive a Rivian R1t
R1T - Rivian
"Drive through 3 feet of water. Rock crawl at a 100% grade. Traverse just about any terrain with 14 inches of ground clearance. With a 0-60 mph time in as quick as 3 seconds depending on your tire selection, it also delivers the on-road handling of a sports car."

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, they don't look like the typical truck. They absolutely are better looking than the Tesla truck. This is why I want to drive a Rivian R1t
R1T - Rivian
"Drive through 3 feet of water. Rock crawl at a 100% grade. Traverse just about any terrain with 14 inches of ground clearance. With a 0-60 mph time in as quick as 3 seconds depending on your tire selection, it also delivers the on-road handling of a sports car."
The Tesla truck I assume won't look that way. It's hideous. I feel like it's just a placeholder.

I have a hard time believing the rivian does all the things as well as it claims. That's the deal with these start ups though, hyperbole everything. Nobody will fact check when you don't have anything actually produced.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's why god made cars.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm a mustang nut. I don't mind the Mach E. I was disappointed in the power of the mach e's they released first. Very slow, they should have released the GT version first. That would have increased the hype a lot.
thats what Im saying, basically. When I went to look at it.... I was expecting some testosterone. :)

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
oh I hear you. That truck took turns at speed like a concrete truck. Which is why I opted for thisView attachment 150841
GT performance pack1 car. Its tuned , CAI, Borla S type exhaust. Then I supplemented my hauling capability with a 2002 Tundra with 89k miles.
View attachment 150842
My plans are to drive this out until the Rivian is in at least year 2
gorgeous mustang. Always wanted a mustang Notch!! 89 5.0 5 speed. fun to drive. And old Tundras..... cannot go wrong. I remember a guy driving one into a dealership with 400k on it, just getting oil change and rear shocks beacue, "its a little bouncy" lol

I also have desire for a Rivian. But have massive doubts on the claims vs actual performance. I was enthralled by the long way up show but still....

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

If you want a good laugh, read the comments. Clearly a group of people who have never owned a truck, owned something that gets towed, or probably even towed anything before. Truly, a lot of out of touch people discussing things they know nothing about like they're experts.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Louisville has a fleet of EV busses......Really interesting overhead charging stations around town to go with them. Almost like a half assed light rail system.

Until the lightening, Rivian is the only EV that's looked appropriate. If the Rivian is a no on styling, I gotta think you agree the Cybertruk is a hard pass. The Hummer is decent in appearance, but the physical dimensions are completely absurd. Rivian is leaps and bounds ahead of the others in EV truck R&D. The first EV company built as a car company. GM and Ford and the others are car companies trying to get into tech, and Tesla is a tech company trying to get into cars. Rivian, IMO, has the best approach of developing both a vehicle and accompaning tech simultaneously.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

If you want a good laugh, read the comments. Clearly a group of people who have never owned a truck, owned something that gets towed, or probably even towed anything before. Truly, a lot of out of touch people discussing things they know nothing about like they're experts.
haha people on the internet pretending to know things? no way! Yeah if you think electric range isnt affected by towing.. you silly. Even regular gas car it takes a huge hit. Towing our boat, wifes nissan pathfinder goes down to 12-13 from 18-19 unladen. which is a 30% loss. BUT, you can get gas readily.

its comparable, spec wise BUT, the charging network is NOT ready for mass towing with EV's. it just isnt. YOure not gonna touch diesel for quite some time.

but for people like me who tow 15 times a year and not far... yeah. its CLOSE

Last edited:

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Louisville has a fleet of EV busses......Really interesting overhead charging stations around town to go with them. Almost like a half assed light rail system.

Until the lightening, Rivian is the only EV that's looked appropriate. If the Rivian is a no on styling, I gotta think you agree the Cybertruk is a hard pass. The Hummer is decent in appearance, but the physical dimensions are completely absurd. Rivian is leaps and bounds ahead of the others in EV truck R&D. The first EV company built as a car company. GM and Ford and the others are car companies trying to get into tech, and Tesla is a tech company trying to get into cars. Rivian, IMO, has the best approach of developing both a vehicle and accompaning tech simultaneously.
yah I wanted to like the cybertruck.. and I mean I applaud the complete wipe of design trend to blank slate but. blech

agree on rivian.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Tesla truck I assume won't look that way. It's hideous. I feel like it's just a placeholder.

I have a hard time believing the rivian does all the things as well as it claims. That's the deal with these start ups though, hyperbole everything. Nobody will fact check when you don't have anything actually produced.
Follow Rivian on Twitter or Instagram or anywhere else. They've got more real world testing than all the other EVs combined. From an R&D standpoint, they're miles ahead of any other E-Truck builder. They've competed and succeeded in several off road Talley's. They supported "The Long Way Up" production across two continents. If I was gonna pick a horse to win the E-Truck race Rivian is it. Everyone else is either a car company trying to fit in tech, or a tech company trying to make cars. Rivian has done the complete integration of both.

Also, Louisville has Electric Only Buses. They're an odd beast. Overhead chargers that look like a half complete light rail system.They appear to work well, but haven't replaced the Diesel Pushers on longer routes in the suburbs.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Follow Rivian on Twitter or Instagram or anywhere else. They've got more real world testing than all the other EVs combined. From an R&D standpoint, they're miles ahead of any other E-Truck builder. They've competed and succeeded in several off road Talley's. They supported "The Long Way Up" production across two continents. If I was gonna pick a horse to win the E-Truck race Rivian is it. Everyone else is either a car company trying to fit in tech, or a tech company trying to make cars. Rivian has done the complete integration of both.

Also, Louisville has Electric Only Buses. They're an odd beast. Overhead chargers that look like a half complete light rail system.They appear to work well, but haven't replaced the Diesel Pushers on longer routes in the suburbs.
for sure watch long way up on apple tv.

they put their money where their mouth is, and beat the crap out of it from the tip of south america up to CA.

It broke but was fixable and kept on keepin on.

If money wasnt an object Id have already ordered both the truck and SUV versions of the rivian.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whoops. Double posted. My bad.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, Ford owns a majority stake in Rovian. So it makes sense that they'd be ahead. They have an actual car maker showing them how to do stuff.

I don't think being a car maker is a disadvantage to making an EV. It's not like making an EV is fundamentally different, like making a refrigerator vs making a crayon. The power train is different, but that's a tiny part of what makes a vehicle.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3rd day with the Model Y. No regrets so far. Outside the wait for the car, the buying experience was phenomenal. 27 minutes from greeting to driving away. The silent roller-coaster-drop-style acceleration is addictive.

Charged in the garage overnight twice, 180 miles of joy riding, taking peeps on demos... estimated cost is right around $5-6. the same routes and driving habits would cost around $25 with the pathfinder.

I don't foresee A LOT of towing with it, as the range looks to be in the red round trip to the lake, but maybe to the river... I dont know, jurys out. Well be doing some testing.

My Mrs. is in love with the car. Im happy for her. She's earned it.

Funny story. You all hear of the "penalty box"? we hadnt, I thought she broke the car. I guess, IF you repeatedly stab the throttle and go over 90 in autosteer mode, it disables ituntil you park it. Like a "hey meathead, cool it down!" system LOL Pretty funny actually.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3rd day with the Model Y. No regrets so far. Outside the wait for the car, the buying experience was phenomenal. 27 minutes from greeting to driving away. The silent roller-coaster-drop-style acceleration is addictive.

Charged in the garage overnight twice, 180 miles of joy riding, taking peeps on demos... estimated cost is right around $5-6. the same routes and driving habits would cost around $25 with the pathfinder.

I don't foresee A LOT of towing with it, as the range looks to be in the red round trip to the lake, but maybe to the river... I dont know, jurys out. Well be doing some testing.

My Mrs. is in love with the car. Im happy for her. She's earned it.

Funny story. You all hear of the "penalty box"? we hadnt, I thought she broke the car. I guess, IF you repeatedly stab the throttle and go over 90 in autosteer mode, it disables ituntil you park it. Like a "hey meathead, cool it down!" system LOL Pretty funny actually.
Glad you and she are enjoying it.

The penalty box is strictly for exceeding 90 on AP.

Easy to do when you are cruising around 80 and go to pass. Just signal first - that will take it out of AP (but leave TACC on) so you can pass and resume AP when your pass is complete.

Another easy way to disengage AP is a tap up on the AP stalk. That kicks off TACC too.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you and she are enjoying it.

The penalty box is strictly for exceeding 90 on AP.

Easy to do when you are cruising around 80 and go to pass. Just signal first - that will take it out of AP (but leave TACC on) so you can pass and resume AP when your pass is complete.

Another easy way to disengage AP is a tap up on the AP stalk. That kicks off TACC too.
yeah I misunderstood, but had since learned that! For sure, really loving it.

If I had to put checks in the flaw section... It gets a bad rap for hard suspension. I guess I can see that. If you're coming from a luxury vehicle. It is harsh, but no harsher than our pathfinder we have. So Its Noticeable but not a big issue here. I suppose it highlights a juxtaposition to how nice and futuristic the interior is, ad the buttery smooth drivetrain, putting a microscope on the harshness....

The weak metal on the front trunk. feels quite flimsy when closing it. Even using their technique, I Feel like paint could crack at some point maybe on a cold day. Have to be careful.... maybe add an autocloser...I suppose Ill get used to it.