• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I watched the videos last night. It looks pretty awesome. I don't think I'm a buyer at $112. Supposedly other models will come down the line that will start at $80k. They were saying 2023-2024 on those models.

The removable roof panels are cool. The 4 wheel street and crab walk capability is cool. I'm not sure the practicality... but it's cool. I agree it looks better than the Cyberwedge.
I was wildly disappointed with the price, and the time table to get an $80k version.

I was ready to plunk down my $100 deposit to get in line until I saw that.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was wildly disappointed with the price, and the time table to get an $80k version.

I was ready to plunk down my $100 deposit to get in line until I saw that.
I have not watched the videos (stupid work!) but the timeline for the cheaper version puts them in line w/ the CT release. So at this point they aren't losing anything. People who "gotta have it now" will plunk down the big bucks for the Hummer and then as the CT, Rivian, Ford, etc are coming out they will have a cost-parity version. They do run the risk that Tesla ran into w/ the Model S in that the media will review the first, top of the line, ones and even in the future, people will view them as "too expensive" even once there is a cheaper one. But they could always slap a GMC badge on it.

Both Tesla and GM have different advantages/areas of strength coming into the field. GM knows trucks, Tesla knows batteries and EV drive train (you all know my views on self-driving so I'll leave that there). I for one am super excited by all of the competition in the space. It will make everyone better.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, curiosity got the best of me and I had to look. I think it is a good first volley into the EV truck realm. I really want to see power ports in the bed. Part of this truck's job will be hauling my Alta dirtbike and I don't want to have to keep dragging the generator along. They already have an AC/DC inverter in the form of the onboard charger. It shouldn't be that hard to run it in reverse.

Range seems low but I feel that it's realistic and conservative. The CTs range numbers are dependent on Tesla proving out their new battery cell design, which is still in the lab stage. Performance is in line w/ the CT with the same 3-motor design. I'm excited to see what Rivian can do with 4. I've heard good things about SuperCruise in the Cadillac and I think it was a good idea to include it the Hummer.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
More data from the family towing with the ModelX. This time putting the ModelX against a Ford Explorer ST. Both experience a range loss while towing, however the ModelX loses less range than the Explorer. More proof that EV's are significantly more efficient at transferring stored energy into motion, but are still hamstrung with a smaller reservoir of energy to pull from.

I just put new tires on my GMC.....Doubt I'll get an electric truck in 2021, even if they do get production going. Boss has an early bird deposit on a Rivian. Hopefully I can get a ride to lunch in that thing once the pandemic breaks and we can do that sort of thing again.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
More data from the family towing with the ModelX. This time putting the ModelX against a Ford Explorer ST. Both experience a range loss while towing, however the ModelX loses less range than the Explorer. More proof that EV's are significantly more efficient at transferring stored energy into motion, but are still hamstrung with a smaller reservoir of energy to pull from.

I just put new tires on my GMC.....Doubt I'll get an electric truck in 2021, even if they do get production going. Boss has an early bird deposit on a Rivian. Hopefully I can get a ride to lunch in that thing once the pandemic breaks and we can do that sort of thing again.
If he's like minded and you both wear a mask, I think you'd be fine. Or, depending on how far to lunch, you might be able to hold your breath!!! :winkingthumbsup"

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If he's like minded and you both wear a mask, I think you'd be fine. Or, depending on how far to lunch, you might be able to hold your breath!!! :winkingthumbsup"
I'm not worried about being in the car with him. We can roll the windows down and wear masks.

We have nowhere to go to lunch. All the restaurants are carry out only currently.

I'm sure if this mess hasn't settled down by then we'll find a way to get a test drive in!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
tesla update...

I was active in here earlier.... but Been away from the forum...we decided to stick with the little boat-kids are moving on, big boat will sit more soon...but thats more time for motorcycles. :)

Anyways, the time has come. Our pathfinder is long in the tooth at 160k. still fine but time isnt on its side to be a daily driver AND a tow rig. SO we went and looked at a new Toyota four runner. Well.. very nice ride, but similar to what we have. And, cant get spec'd out like I want. 2 month wait. 49k was the price.

so I said screw it. For 2 grand more, we can go ev and charge at home. we went over to Bloomington yesterday, and Test drove the tesla Y, performance. Mind blown. Dont need the performance which is 3.5 0-60, 4.6 seconds 0-60 is fine thanks, still gonna snap your noggin back. lol

plunked down the hundy, got it blue with white interior, and hitch(just in case) were keeping the pathfinder for MY vehicle and tow rig. I only put like 3k on a car in a year, since i'm on the bike 9/10 times. Tesla for the Mrs' daily. (expect 1000 fuel savings home charging, but iowa hits you with a hefty reg fee, so Ill only see half that)

Wiring the garage outlet this weekend, cant wait. Really was a yardstick moving moment for me. It was seriously hard to get back in the regular car and drive home lol

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
tesla update...

I was active in here earlier.... but Been away from the forum...we decided to stick with the little boat-kids are moving on, big boat will sit more soon...but thats more time for motorcycles. :)

Anyways, the time has come. Our pathfinder is long in the tooth at 160k. still fine but time isnt on its side to be a daily driver AND a tow rig. SO we went and looked at a new Toyota four runner. Well.. very nice ride, but similar to what we have. And, cant get spec'd out like I want. 2 month wait. 49k was the price.

so I said screw it. For 2 grand more, we can go ev and charge at home. we went over to Bloomington yesterday, and Test drove the tesla Y, performance. Mind blown. Dont need the performance which is 3.5 0-60, 4.6 seconds 0-60 is fine thanks, still gonna snap your noggin back. lol

plunked down the hundy, got it blue with white interior, and hitch(just in case) were keeping the pathfinder for MY vehicle and tow rig. I only put like 3k on a car in a year, since i'm on the bike 9/10 times. Tesla for the Mrs' daily. (expect 1000 fuel savings home charging, but iowa hits you with a hefty reg fee, so Ill only see half that)

Wiring the garage outlet this weekend, cant wait. Really was a yardstick moving moment for me. It was seriously hard to get back in the regular car and drive home lol
I agree, don’t have a Tesla but I’ve rented on and it truly is amazing what these cars can do! The hummer EV is very tempting for me, I wish Tesla had a larger suv in the works and I just cannot bring myself to like the truck no matter how many times I look at it. Hope it looks better in person.

Congrats on the purchase!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree, don’t have a Tesla but I’ve rented on and it truly is amazing what these cars can do! The hummer EV is very tempting for me, I wish Tesla had a larger suv in the works and I just cannot bring myself to like the truck no matter how many times I look at it. Hope it looks better in person.

Congrats on the purchase!
same I so badly want to love the cyber truck. but I cant. IM not the demographic. lol

Thanks! well see in a few weeks when it gets here! Most expensive car Ive ever bought by 15k. and I havent even seen it. LOLOLOLOL!

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
tesla update...

Congrats.

The rated towing capacity on the Y is 3500#.

Not sure what your Glastron weighs wet on the trailer, but you're probably ok towing it.

I've towed 3500# across town with our 3 (accidentally, didn't know it until we weighed the trailer full of busted up concrete) and it didn't feel anywhere near the limit - although I wouldn't go on the highway with it as the 3 is only rated for 2500#.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats.

The rated towing capacity on the Y is 3500#.

Not sure what your Glastron weighs wet on the trailer, but you're probably ok towing it.

I've towed 3500# across town with our 3 (accidentally, didn't know it until we weighed the trailer full of busted up concrete) and it didn't feel anywhere near the limit - although I wouldn't go on the highway with it as the 3 is only rated for 2500#.
I think were right around 3k. Prob wont use it for our usual launch which is 50 miles. but, the river launch we might. Just not til I get some practice- need to get used to the shifting.

Im sure Ill go out and try just to see the range towing.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think were right around 3k. Prob wont use it for our usual launch which is 50 miles. but, the river launch we might. Just not til I get some practice- need to get used to the shifting.

Im sure Ill go out and try just to see the range towing.
I'm assuming this (the shifting) is a joke?

If you are 3000# then 50 miles (100 miles round trip) will be a piece of cake.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I predict you are going to LOVE it. We've had our Model S for a year and 20K miles so far. Just a phenomenal vehicle all the way around. If we are driving somewhere that doesn't truly require the use of a truck (our Ram 2500) or off road (Wrangler Unlimited), we always take the Tesla. It is just so much more enjoyable to drive - wicked quick, super quiet, smoooooth, comfortable, and as close to "free" to drive as I can get. In 20K miles, we've used superchargers just a handful of times on longer trips. Other than that, it charges overnight in our garage or on a destination charger wherever we go (if away overnight far from home). Obviously it helps that we live in CA, but there are charging stations everywhere. Range anxiety simply isn't a thing for us. and again, the performance. Just wow.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm assuming this (the shifting) is a joke?

If you are 3000# then 50 miles (100 miles round trip) will be a piece of cake.
I had a serious hard time getting used to how Mercedes does the shifting on the stalk. We rented a small Merc for a trip in CA a few years ago (was cheaper than the Impalla we had reserved initially). The shifter was complete non-sense to me at first, and honestly over our 7 day trip it never once "felt right". Tesla uses the same stalk shifter concept if I remember right.

I can see where getting used to the shifting would be something I would want to have well under control at the boat ramp!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@thefortunes

heres what I mean.

there's no feedback and Ive used the same vehicle to launch for 7 yrs. LOL. I usually drive automatics with two feet. I ALWAYS do on the ramp. I noticed the screen yells at you when you do it. Just a learning curve.

I predict you are going to LOVE it. We've had our Model S for a year and 20K miles so far. Just a phenomenal vehicle all the way around. If we are driving somewhere that doesn't truly require the use of a truck (our Ram 2500) or off road (Wrangler Unlimited), we always take the Tesla. It is just so much more enjoyable to drive - wicked quick, super quiet, smoooooth, comfortable, and as close to "free" to drive as I can get. In 20K miles, we've used superchargers just a handful of times on longer trips. Other than that, it charges overnight in our garage or on a destination charger wherever we go (if away overnight far from home). Obviously it helps that we live in CA, but there are charging stations everywhere. Range anxiety simply isn't a thing for us. and again, the performance. Just wow.

I feel that way too. we were already planning on the white interior and were already sold on the car after just opening the door upon arriving. The test drive was just the cement. Its REALLY been a LONG time since wife and I have looked at each other and said: "I have to have this car!" Its usually more of a "well, what do you think. should we get it?, i dunno whatchu think?"

I had zero pokerface upon returning the tester. Was ready to order.

Decided against the auto pilot. It was WAAAAY cool but not necessary for our use. The lane change specifically enjoyed. And, i let it do its thing through a couple interchanges, it worked fine, but Id rather be in control, deciding when to exit.

Regular autopilot is a game changer on its own really.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@thefortunes

heres what I mean.

there's no feedback and Ive used the same vehicle to launch for 7 yrs. LOL. I usually drive automatics with two feet. I ALWAYS do on the ramp. I noticed the screen yells at you when you do it. Just a learning curve.

I feel that way too. we were already planning on the white interior and were already sold on the car after just opening the door upon arriving. The test drive was just the cement. Its REALLY been a LONG time since wife and I have looked at each other and said: "I have to have this car!" Its usually more of a "well, what do you think. should we get it?, i dunno whatchu think?"

I had zero pokerface upon returning the tester. Was ready to order.

Decided against the auto pilot. It was WAAAAY cool but not necessary for our use. The lane change specifically enjoyed. And, i let it do its thing through a couple interchanges, it worked fine, but Id rather be in control, deciding when to exit.

Regular autopilot is a game changer on its own really.
Yeah, it yells at you and ignores the accelerator input if you press both pedals.

I had Full Self Driving for a weekend where I drove Florida-Maryland-Wisconsin by myself.

I actually ended up using regular Autopilot more because the automatic lane changes were too slow (something that has since been improved).

I "returned" FSD after the weekend, lol.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have "Full Self Driving" on our Model S but very rarely use it. It is definitely "cool" but regular autopilot is excellent and what I typically use.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a Cybertruck on order, should get number 3600 off the line if they sell them based off order number. I know a lot of people don’t like the design but the mid dual motor is $50k! For a truck that can tow 10,000lbs, 0-60 in 4.5, ramp for the bed and it’s electric? That’s a deal! Plus the looks of it grew on me after a few months. The hummer could’ve been a real competitor but I think they’re overpriced.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a Cybertruck on order, should get number 3600 off the line if they sell them based off order number. I know a lot of people don’t like the design but the mid dual motor is $50k! For a truck that can tow 10,000lbs, 0-60 in 4.5, ramp for the bed and it’s electric? That’s a deal! Plus the looks of it grew on me after a few months. The hummer could’ve been a real competitor but I think they’re overpriced.
Unfortunately, none of the production releases to date have followed the order of reservations.

I wouldn't expect this one to either.