• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

TR1 vs TR2

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here's the skinny. Looking at a 2019 AR210, has the TR1's of course. Good engines. However, not sure (long term) how they will be pulling skiers, tubes, wakeboard... etc. Thinking it might be a bit stressful on the 1.0L over time (weight of boat, cargo and then throw in drag from a tube). Before you say "just get the limited or the 212x", I'm already stretching the budget for the 210... Am I over thinking this? Thoughts?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's a TR2?

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think you are over thinking it. These motors have been in side by sides and snowmobiles for many years. They are a proven motor.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Overthinking it. They are new at least in boats so long term concerns in reliability aren't unfounded, but not because they are too small for boats. If you are a speed demon, get a jet ski.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The boat prices have gone up a lot
This is my 2015 sx 210 and there were no adds for my mods of hydrophase, fins and radio. I might sell mine at the end of the season 70 hours or so. MR-1 motors and 3 years of YES left

Total Price
$38,999 suggested list (dreaming)
$29,210 (low retail) realistic price without the hydrophase
$33,125 (avg retail)

Hell I might look for a leftover new '17 or '18 ar240 They will negotiate on leftovers. I paid 33 otd for mine new
https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2018-yamaha-ar240-103229288/?refSource=standard listing

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The TR1 is a cost cutting engine to sell boats and skis at a lower price point.

The 1.8 (there is no TR2) is reliable with known issues of oil cooler bolts in 2010s and timing chains in 2015s.

If you want the most reliability and performance for your money buy a 2007 or newer used Yamaha with MR1 HO engines. They have gone for thousands of hours without rebuilds in rental skis and at 160 HP massively outpace the 115 HP TR1.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want the most reliability and performance for your money buy a 2007 or newer used Yamaha with MR1 HO engines. They have gone for thousands of hours without rebuilds in rental skis and at 160 HP massively outpace the 115 HP TR1.
That's what I did... I hope it continues to be as reliable as it has been so far. Third season... Pretty impressed. I liked this post!

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
+1 to that, a friend of mine sold his 2003 230 with twin MR-1's and the thing was still going strong after 500+ hours. That being said, if you want even more power and reliability go for the 1.8 and try to find a good 2011-2016 212LS/X, If you look hard enough you will find ones in the 210 price range and you will be saving money by not paying dealer prep and all that.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to be clear, the rentals are/were mostly the VX platform which is the 8000 rpm non-HO 110hp version of the MR1s.

-Greg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JBehrens, 2015 1.8s have the timing chain issue. 2011 to 2014 and 2016+ 1.8s are the most reliable however the timing chain issue sometime occurs with other years.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JBehrens, 2015 1.8s have the timing chain issue. 2011 to 2014 and 2016+ 1.8s are the most reliable however the timing chain issue sometime occurs with other years.
True, I still would like to see what Yamaha's internal statistics are on the number that have failed due to the timing chain issue. As an owner of a 2015 with a weaker timing chain, I try not to worry to much about it. *Knock on wood* so far so good. When I asked the service manager at my dealer he said that as long as the engine is bone stock and has service records they would be able to warranty replace the engine if the chain fails but they can not preventatively repair the chain.

That being said if you don’t want to even have to worry about something like that possibly going wrong then @Bruce makes a good point to avoid the 2015’s

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JBehrens, you are correct that Yamaha has often replaced engines with timing chain failures at their cost. That cost is typically more than a used 190 or a ski's total purchase price. Yamaha has handled these timing chain failures better than the oil cooler bolt failures. I hope that Yamaha will continue to pay for the timing chain failures.

The percentage of 2015 boats suffering timing chain failures is low but when an owner is presented with a $15K+ repair bill that provides little comfort.

Often boating alone for long distances in the Bahamas and crossing the Gulf Stream alone I desire a higher level of reliability than most.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You do have to wonder how long Yamaha is going to continue to cover out of warranty.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
until @swatski files a claim
Oh - I wish I had those kinds of powers!!! But look, they're still cranking out (same ol' ) AR towers, tower after tower, lol. Not even a new sticker!!!
:D

--