• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

trailer brake question

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you guys using a brake controller in you vehicle with the brakes on the factory trailers? If so what happens if you tow one with out the brake controller do the brakes on the trailer just not work?

Stock brakes are hydraulic and don't require a controller. They operate via a hydraulic piston. This is why there is a lockout mechanism for when you back up.
Now, a few, like myself, have converted to electric and need a controller. I did that because all my trailers are like that so no switching around.

How does the lock out work do you manually have to go back and set it each time you are backing up?

How does the lock out work do you manually have to go back and set it each time you are backing up?
There's a 5th wire on the trailer plug that is activated when the tow vehicle is placed in reverse. That allows a solenoid to activate and release the hydraulic pressure in the trailer brake lines and allow the trailer to go in reverse.

There's a 5th wire on the trailer plug that is activated when the tow vehicle is placed in reverse. That allows a solenoid to activate and release the hydraulic pressure in the trailer brake lines and allow the trailer to go in reverse.

Do I need a special wiring harness on the tow vehicle for that fifth wire? Currently just have a standard tow package set up. My current boat trailer doesn't have brakes so this is all new to me sorry if these questions seem silly. Below is what my factory harness looks like.

Attachments

• wiring harness.jpg
    wiring harness.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 16
Do you have a 4 pin or a 7 pin (round) connector on your tow vehicle?

The Yamaha trailer will have a 5 pin connector that looks like the one on your current boat with a fifth connector on it.

Most people use a 7 to 5 pin adapter between their toe vehicle and the trailer wiring. I believe that 4 to 5 pin adapters are available as well. I got tired of using the adapter and replaced the 5 pin connector on the trailer harness with a 7 pin.

If you do not have the fifth wire connected you will need to use the lockout key on the trailer tongue when backing up.

The fifth wire is simply the backup (reverse) lights signal. On our trailers it is used to disable the brakes. On some it is used for actual backup lights as well.

My current truck I think has a 4 pin connector. My last truck had the 7 pin round I had to add an adapter too I will double check tomorrow. So if it has the four pin I need to disable the brake correct?

My current truck I think has a 4 pin connector. My last truck had the 7 pin round I had to add an adapter too I will double check tomorrow. So if it has the four pin I need to disable the brake correct?
Yes, to backup you will have to prevent the surge mechanism from sliding, i.e. disable the trailer breaks.

Other options:

1. go to a Ford/Lincoln dealer and see if there is a factory tow wiring harness that is 7 pin (round adapter). This would be simple plug and play, with the toughest being to mount the 7 pin connector which wouldn't be all the tough.

2. buy a 5 pin wiring harness and tap into your reverse lights to provide power the blue wire (surge brake solenoid).

I *hate* hydraulic brakes. 3rd boat I've owned with brakes, all of them I have ripped out and replaced with electric. With hydraulic brakes it relies on the pressure generated from your boat pushing into your tow vehicle to engage. So going down a mountain, your trailer brakes over engage especially when you're just using your transmission to control your speed. Electric, sure you need a control box... but most all tow vehicles are coming with them built in and if they aren't, it's 100$ to have a good one installed professionally.

I *hate* hydraulic brakes. 3rd boat I've owned with brakes, all of them I have ripped out and replaced with electric. With hydraulic brakes it relies on the pressure generated from your boat pushing into your tow vehicle to engage. So going down a mountain, your trailer brakes over engage especially when you're just using your transmission to control your speed. Electric, sure you need a control box... but most all tow vehicles are coming with them built in and if they aren't, it's 100$ to have a good one installed professionally.

Electric trailer brakes are better and less expensive. I wish I could find an electric brake system that could withstand salt water usage. I would love to switch.

but most all tow vehicles are coming with them built in and if they aren't, it's 100$ to have a good one installed professionally.

I was sure to get my 2015 Sierra with a brake controller as the 2007-2013 Sierra and Silverados were not cheap to install. I have many times rented 4-place sled trailers from my local trailer dealer. He would rent a controller to the Ford/Dodge guys as it was a simple install he could do while they waited. But the GM's in the 2007-2013 range, like my previous 2012 sierra, were not the case and quite expensive. So they were the exception to that rule.

The question I would have to the original poster is what is the towing capacity of the vehicle he is using since it only has a 4-pin. I noticed back in the day when the towing capacity of the Chevy Colorado went up, they started adding the 7-pin connector as it now had the capacity to tow trailers equipped with such a connector.

It's not a rule or true indication, but just a clue as to the capacity of the vehicle. I would bet that many vehicles with only a 4-pin, probably are rated less than 4000lbs or so. It's just a guess though.

I was sure to get my 2015 Sierra with a brake controller as the 2007-2013 Sierra and Silverados were not cheap to install.
Just got a 15 Silverado LTZ that doesn't have the intergrated control , wish it did, but the connector cable is there. Simple plug and play, take the controller from my old 06 Silverado which was only about 100 bucks to install in that one. Cable came with that one as well, stashed in glove box

The question I would have to the original poster is what is the towing capacity of the vehicle he is using since it only has a 4-pin. I noticed back in the day when the towing capacity of the Chevy Colorado went up, they started adding the 7-pin connector as it now had the capacity to tow trailers equipped with such a connector.

The tow vehicles a 2012 Lincoln Navigator it is rated for 9000 pounds which is actually the highest in class at that date only vehicle that beats it now full-size SUV class the expedition is now rated for 9200 pounds. Well I think the 2500 suburban series might be rated a little higher than that as well like 9200 to 9400 pounds

Last edited:
But the GM's in the 2007-2013 range, like my previous 2012 sierra, were not the case and quite expensive. So they were the exception to that rule.

It took me perhaps 15 minutes to find the harness under the dash, install a fuse under the hood and install the controller in my 2007 Sierra. I spent perhaps $120 on the controller but that was because I chose a more expensive model.

What kit are you guys using to switch to electric brakes? I have the shore lander trailer.

What kit are you guys using to switch to electric brakes? I have the shore lander trailer.

Sadly I did not use a kit. My kit cost me about 350$ (I think... they are blurring together now... between 350 and 650, this one was 350 I think) and then gas to tow it to my local trailer shop (Metalcraft Trailers) in SLC, Utah.

The sounds of what is involved is:
  • set of drum electric brakes
  • wiring
  • waterproof battery box with mounting brackets
  • breakaway box with cable (wired through the battery box)
  • 7-pin plug
I have a shorlander trailer as well, and my guy at the trailer shop (who I think gave me a deal, since this was boat number 3 that I brought to him) told me that I had the right seats if I wanted to drum electric brake all 4 wheels (both axles), but I only did the rear axle. I think I made the right choice for me... if I had a much smaller tow vehicle, I would have braked both axles (I did this on my Cobalt because it was a really heavy pig - but an amazing boat) and at the time I was towing with a Silverado half ton.

Thanks for the reply. I may just take it to a local trailer place too. Are drums all that are possible?

It took me perhaps 15 minutes to find the harness under the dash, install a fuse under the hood and install the controller in my 2007 Sierra. I spent perhaps $120 on the controller but that was because I chose a more expensive model.

Then the trailer guys I were working with were on Crack then. Maybe it was just my 2012 Sierra. As he said he would sell me one, but said the labor was more than the controller. Hmmm. Maybe there was a difference in the later models before 2014?

I do like the integrated controller now. All information comes up on the display in the dash as well. Not that there is a lot to display other than the gain levels.

Back