• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer locks

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have that Reese one :(

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use the Smith & Wesson system.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even worse than that is the Reese lock can be taken off with a strip if aluminum can just like using a credit card on old door locks. Getting something new soon. I have a bulldog lock on the sled trailer.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do you use? I saw this video and might weld up something similar.
I purchased one of these for my 20 ft box trailer I keep down at my shop. It's heavy duty! I'm not sure how it'd work on my boats shorlander trailer...? but I've got it parked behind a locked gate with a pin lock that'll prevent anyone from putting the tongue back in line.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Looks like it would work great.

But.....would be quite a drain on the wallet.

I do like the fact that if I were to replace all my current trailer tongue locks and disc style locks on doors that they could all be keyed the same.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Locks keep honest people honest. If someone wants your stuff they can figure a way.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed but, the harder you make it, the more they look elsewhere. Any and every inconvenience increase the chance of them giving up and leaving your stuff where it was.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use the Reese one...eek. But I also lock the coupler down with a padlock, remove the tongue sway pin and put a lock in one of the pin holes. As said above, locks only keep honest people honest and thus my strategy is to make my rig the harder one to steal so they move on to the next.

If they do decide to steal my rig, that's what insurance is for and I guess it's time to go boat shopping...

Reactions: Gym

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks pretty effective but $225? I'll stick with my padlock and insurance.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
the harder you make it, the more they look elsewhere. Any and every inconvenience increase the chance of them giving up and leaving your stuff where it was.
My favorite Home Security Device is a sign that says: “MY NEIGHBOR DOESN’T HAVE A SECURITY SYSTEM” >>>>
Thieves are inherently lazy, otherwise they would have a real job.

My first set of Boat Buckles were removed and stolen while boating at the lake. Someone was just going down the line of trailers and removing what ever came off easily. The new Boat Buckles are installed with the same bolts but I welded the threads. Good luck getting them off now.

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It looks like a good product but the one technique he didn’t try on his own that I think would bust it off is to take that same sledge hammer and smash that orange aluminum lock in the front. I think a few good hard swings straight into that orange target would bust that aluminum and then the rest would just disassemble. I just got my boat last weekend so I’m worried about this to, especially how he just showed how easy the first yellow Reese one came off (the one I have). But I also take the folding tonque pin out. Kind of hard to tow the trailer away with that swing tongue loose. Most people don’t have one of those pins just lying around ready to use to steal a boat trailer. Good info though.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As soon as he pulled out his "death race" lock, I knew it was going to be expensive. So, I'll fold the tongue and use a bar lock around it along with my insurance and my Rugers (because I'm not a S&W guy). Side note, @swatski, since I joined this forum, I can't get away from it, I'm all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. So much info, so much reading, I'm sending you a bill for my internet usage and bifocals.

Crlos16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For the boat trailer I use the Reese lock as well, but boat is also stored inside a inclosed unit. On my utility trailer that is parked outside I use the Reese lock plus I wrap the safety chains around the tongue and lock them in place with a padlock, and also wrap the trailer wheel around the leaf spring and frame with a master lock Python steel locking cable, so far it has worked.

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As soon as he pulled out his "death race" lock, I knew it was going to be expensive. So, I'll fold the tongue and use a bar lock around it along with my insurance and my Rugers (because I'm not a S&W guy). Side note, @swatski, since I joined this forum, I can't get away from it, I'm all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. So much info, so much reading, I'm sending you a bill for my internet usage and bifocals.
LMBO!!! Yeah I have DEFINITELY lost several hours in the past few weeks to this forum, but have come out of it far from empty handed. You guys have saved me a lot of woes from YOUR lessons learned, lol.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ANY lock can be defeated with the proper tool and time. In a past career, I thought puck locks were the best, until someone broke into all the trailers that we were using them on. I'm guessing something along these lines are what they did: Hockey Puck Locks

Check out this link: https://ftknoxlocks.com/competitor-lock-fails

Really, it all comes down to how determined a thief is, how much time they have to work on it, and what tools they bring to the problem. My plan is to have a lock on the garage, a lock on the tongue, and at least one wheel chock lock. If someone can defeat all of that without being spotted and the cops called, then my last line of defense against theft is my boat insurance.

It's a lot like a fire at your house, you simply can't prepare for everything that could happen, so you do what you think is the most acceptable cost ratio, and back it all up with insurance. That Ft Knox link I posted shows that any lock is really nothing more than a deterrent to the lazy criminals. The determined criminal is gonna get your stuff, but really, if they're THAT determined, I'd think they'd be looking for easy money in some other fashion.