• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Setup Yamaha or Dealer

FlyingTigger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you guys have to change the angle of the bunks as they sit on the brackets? Or was the angle that they are at good, even though they move up further on the hull? If you had to move them how did you find the new angel to set them at?

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tightened the bolts enough so the bunks would move with some effort. I set the angle close to what I expected. Then I trailered the boat and tightened the bolts fully.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tightened the bolts enough so the bunks would move with some effort. I set the angle close to what I expected. Then I trailered the boat and tightened the bolts fully.
Did the same

Houston

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this post is a little old but I have the EXACT same problem! 2019 AR195 purchased October 2018. The bunks are up against the strakes that there is ZERO room for error when loading the boat! I always have to pull up, check the alignment, back up again to let the boat float and reset itself, and pull up again. It has been really irritating so I am glad I found this post! I take the boat in for service next month so I will ask them to fix it. My bunks are so short they never come close to my speedometer wheel.

Houston

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So did any of y’all have to adjust the winch post after adjusting the bunks? My dealer fixed the bunks (although they are still about 4-5” too short), but now the bow of my boat seems to point in the air because the new bunks lower the back of the boat on the trailer. I told the dealer they’d probably have to adjust the winch post but they ignored me. I asked them to double check the tongue weight, which they ignored. I checked my tongue weight today and it is 225lbs (about 6%). ShoreLand’r recommends 5-7% but I just don’t like how the boat sits on the trailer with the winch post in its position. On newer boats, the winch post is in a different position.

Attachments

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven't yet but I plan to this spring. I am using a tongue scale and adjust both horizontal and vertical position. 225 - 250lbs would be good.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went to the dealer today to pick up bow filler cushions and looked at how the 2020 boats are configured. The winch post arm is definitely on a different hole causing it to be lower and further back. Also, the bunk boards look a good 6 inches longer than mine. @Houston, @Maccam26 figured out a work around to get the bunks about 3 inches further back by filpping the brackets front to back. Ultimately we need longer bunks. I checked my tongue weight using a digital bathroom scale and it was 340lbs. I had a full tank and some stuff stored on the boat, but I do want to reduce that number. First time I drop in the water this year I will adjust the winch post to move it back a couple of inches which will not help my short bunk boards. I plan on making some new longer boards and installing them or I could trailer with a full fat sac on the swim platform :D I still can't believe the factory made these mistakes.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Went to the dealer today to pick up bow filler cushions and looked at how the 2020 boats are configured. The winch post arm is definitely on a different hole causing it to be lower and further back. Also, the bunk boards look a good 6 inches longer than mine.
Big corporate is more left doesn't know right stuff - so I can see the issue with longer hull not being communicated right away. You should be able to get new bunks installed if you have a 2019, that's when the hull changed and Yamaha appears to be interested in customer approval. Give them a call and see what they say. You shouldn't have to pay to fix a change on their end.
:winkingthumbsup"

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I checked my tongue weight using a digital bathroom scale and it was 340lbs. I had a full tank and some stuff stored on the boat, but I do want to reduce that number.
I agree with your assessment of the tongue weight, I got mine down to about ~300lbs by moving the winch post a bit. If we are hauling a boat and trailer that's about 3,500lbs ish... then 300 pounds is about 8.5% of weight being hauled. Mine feels good at this tongue weight.

Last edited:

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So did any of y’all have to adjust the winch post after adjusting the bunks? My dealer fixed the bunks (although they are still about 4-5” too short), but now the bow of my boat seems to point in the air because the new bunks lower the back of the boat on the trailer. I told the dealer they’d probably have to adjust the winch post but they ignored me. I asked them to double check the tongue weight, which they ignored. I checked my tongue weight today and it is 225lbs (about 6%). ShoreLand’r recommends 5-7% but I just don’t like how the boat sits on the trailer with the winch post in its position. On newer boats, the winch post is in a different position.
In my opinion and based on most manufacturer trailer and boat recommendations, the bunks should be as close to flush as possible to the stern. Some say you will get a wave or indent in your fiberglass in the long term if the stern is not directly supported by the bunks.

When I adjusted my bunks, I did move my roller back about 2 inches.

rneuf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I recently purchased a 190 FSH. the trailer bunks were as described by many on this thread. I went to the Yamaha dealer nearby and they had 3 later model AR190’s. One was a 2020 and it appears Yamaha either removed the strake where the bunk is or the 190 runabouts are different hulls than the FSH. I moved my bunks out between the under and outer strakes and it appears to be perfect. But if these boats don’t have stringers, I do wonder if Yamaha holds them inward more so to add support where the engine is mounted. The bunks being inward and relatively close together gives me pause for concern when it comes to lateral stability when making turns at higher speeds while trailering. The bunks being more outward is much more stable and should allow for easier loading of the boat. Maybe I will add a second set of bunks in the old location.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rneuf Hulls are different.