• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Transducer

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in the business for 1/2 my life. Airmar makes 75% of the transducers for all makes. Do yourself a favor and solder the wire connections using Epoxy Lined marine shrink tube over each splice after soldering , then cover the entire splice with said shrink tube. (you can stagger the splices to keep the overall diameter of the splice smaller)
You buy expensive Marine shrink tube at West Marine or you buy the same a lot cheaper at Harbor Freight.

I noticed the power and ground wires on the stock “Yamaha Airmar” transducer were very small, my wire strippers only go down to 22 gauge, and they were smaller that that, while the NMEA pig tail I made had 20 gauge, any thoughts on if the cheaper quality wire has anything to do with the failure?

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I noticed the power and ground wires on the stock “Yamaha Airmar” transducer were very small, my wire strippers only go down to 22 gauge, and they were smaller that that, while the NMEA pig tail I made had 20 gauge, any thoughts on if the cheaper quality wire has anything to do with the failure?
The smaller wires are more flexible and less like to break from bending ,routing and fatique