• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR210 transducer failed, under warranty, but due to supply chain issues the boat is not usable at the moment...What to do?

sirmorton23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,

Just joined the forum and new here, so sorry if I may not post this in the proper way.

Looking for any advice on what to do with our 3 year old boat that is still under warranty.
In March 2021 the transducer failed on our 2019 AR210, meaning ever since we don't have speed or depth readings. Our dealer in Jacksonville, FL, said they have to get an approval from Yamaha, that this indeed falls under the warranty. It did, so they ordered the replacement transducer, which was/is - due to the supply chain issues - on backorder. Long story short, a year and 1 month later we still don't have a transducer installed.
As I was really getting annoyed, I called Yamaha to check on the order, and they said they still don't have it, but may (or may not) get one in later next month, but the guy on the phone highly encouraged me not to use the boat in the meantime.
Then I tried to file a claim at my insurance provider (Progressive), but they said that "sorry, this is between you and Yamaha", but mentioned as well not to use the boat, as very likely and incident won't be covered if I use - knowingly faulty - boat.

At this point, technically all I have is an unusable object in an RV storage place, that I am paying insurance, monthly payments, etc. and not even able to use it...and at this point I am not even sure if I could sell it as is right now.
And I have even signed up for the Yamaha Extended Services warranty for another 2 years for $1,500 (so it is covered when I sell it).

I know there is no quote on quote Lemon law that covers boats in Florida...and have limited knowledge on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but is there anything I could do in this case? Ideally I just want to sell the boat/back out from this deal, without major losses.

Any advice is highly appreciated!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi,

Just joined the forum and new here, so sorry if I may not post this in the proper way.

Looking for any advice on what to do with our 3 year old boat that is still under warranty.
In March 2021 the transducer failed on our 2019 AR210, meaning ever since we don't have speed or depth readings. Our dealer in Jacksonville, FL, said they have to get an approval from Yamaha, that this indeed falls under the warranty. It did, so they ordered the replacement transducer, which was/is - due to the supply chain issues - on backorder. Long story short, a year and 1 month later we still don't have a transducer installed.
As I was really getting annoyed, I called Yamaha to check on the order, and they said they still don't have it, but may (or may not) get one in later next month, but the guy on the phone highly encouraged me not to use the boat in the meantime.
Then I tried to file a claim at my insurance provider (Progressive), but they said that "sorry, this is between you and Yamaha", but mentioned as well not to use the boat, as very likely and incident won't be covered if I use - knowingly faulty - boat.

At this point, technically all I have is an unusable object in an RV storage place, that I am paying insurance, monthly payments, etc. and not even able to use it...and at this point I am not even sure if I could sell it as is right now.
And I have even signed up for the Yamaha Extended Services warranty for another 2 years for $1,500 (so it is covered when I sell it).

I know there is no quote on quote Lemon law that covers boats in Florida...and have limited knowledge on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but is there anything I could do in this case? Ideally I just want to sell the boat/back out from this deal, without major losses.

Any advice is highly appreciated!
Why not install a GPS with depth transducer at Yamaha's expense?

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
What claim would you file with your insurance? It wasn't' stolen off your boat. Your deductible would be more then a transducer, and now they can deny a claim because you told them.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Why are you not able to use the boat? The transducer isn’t stopping the boat from operating. Yea you’ll not have speed, depth and likely water temp readings but you can still use the boat while the dealer waits for your replacement to come in.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go install another stand-alone product that is available and then sell the 'ducer Yamaha gives you when its available.

sirmorton23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why are you not able to use the boat? The transducer isn’t stopping the boat from operating. Yea you’ll not have speed, depth and likely water temp readings but you can still use the boat while the dealer waits for your replacement to come in.
Well...can you, yes...should you? NO. It is not safe to operate it...and as I said, Yamaha and Insurance company said not to use it either.
Can you drive a car without speedometer? Sure thing. Should you? I don't think so....

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
Well...can you, yes...should you? NO. It is not safe to operate it...and as I said, Yamaha and Insurance company said not to use it either.
Can you drive a car without speedometer? Sure thing. Should you? I don't think so....
LOL Keep making those payments and not using it then. I'm not sure what your looking for here with this thread. We don't own yamaha or a transducer company.

sirmorton23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LOL Keep making those payments and not using it then. I'm not sure what your looking for here with this thread. We don't own yamaha or a transducer company.
Was looking for some useful "legal advice" what my options are in such situation...
To me installing any standalone products is just simply not the way to resolve it.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What safety does the speedometer provide? The depth I can sort of understand but it’s not like a depth gauge would prevent hitting a log or anything. The car analogy doesn’t apply since there are speed limits on the road. On the waters there is no wake unless you boat in some private lake with crazy regulations. Nobody rides around staring at their speedo so unless you’re using the speedo for features like GPS cruise I don’t see it as a huge issue and certainly not unusable boat level.

In regards to your insurance company saying not to use the boat I’m not sure where they are pulling that from. For starters your insurance shouldn’t even be involved but you contacted them so now you’ve added that to the mix. Secondly plenty of skip boats and Jon boats don’t have speedometers or fancy electronics yet are insured so I’m not getting the BS they’re throwing out.

Ultimately it’s your call but I’d be damned if I’m just going to let a boat of mine sit while waiting for something like a transducer plus make payments for storage and the boat.

sirmorton23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for that.
Just to be clear, speedometer analogy was for the car...not for the boat.
Where we use it, the Inter Coastal can be very shallow some times (unexpectedly), and due to the color of the water, you likely won't see the bottom of it, so depth reading comes handy before hitting something.

I guess I was just looking if someone already had similar experience and wanted to see how they resolved it.
Apparently this is actually getting a much broader issue, than I thought...at least based on what yamaha said

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The insurance company is advising not to use the boat as an "out" for if something super crazy happens, then they have an excuse to potentially deny a claim, if they can reasonably determine a transducer *could* have prevented or helped prevent said crazy thing from happening. Yamaha is advising not to use the boat to absolve themselves of legal ramifications should you injure yourself in a situation that *could* have potentially been prevented/avoided with a functioning transducer. Basically it comes down to 1: you can assume the risk, be cautious, and understand your situation, and use the boat. 2: let it sit and look pretty while making payments. 3: install an aftermarket transducer, or some kind of device with a transducer, at which point, I'd say you've addressed the concerns for both parties recommending you not use the boat. Ultimately, it's your call, and your risk. Shitty position to be in, but it could be a helluva lot worse.

FWIW, I'd install an aftermarket transducer. I've got two on my boat, simply because my chart plotter has one, plus the factory one. You do you...

sirmorton23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The insurance company is advising not to use the boat as an "out" for if something super crazy happens, then they have an excuse to potentially deny a claim, if they can reasonably determine a transducer *could* have prevented or helped prevent said crazy thing from happening. Yamaha is advising not to use the boat to absolve themselves of legal ramifications should you injure yourself in a situation that *could* have potentially been prevented/avoided with a functioning transducer. Basically it comes down to 1: you can assume the risk, be cautious, and understand your situation, and use the boat. 2: let it sit and look pretty while making payments. 3: install an aftermarket transducer, or some kind of device with a transducer, at which point, I'd say you've addressed the concerns for both parties recommending you not use the boat. Ultimately, it's your call, and your risk. Shitty position to be in, but it could be a helluva lot worse.

FWIW, I'd install an aftermarket transducer. I've got two on my boat, simply because my chart plotter has one, plus the factory one. You do you...
Thanks for that!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my 2020 AR210, I have a Garmin 93sv chart plotter and also use Navionics on my phone as a backup. I don't ever look at the speedometer or depth gauge on the screen. My alarms are setup on my chart plotter. Far more accurate. Also your depth guage on your boat tells you what depth you are at. Which can come up real quick. With a chart plotter you know what is coming up as well as where you are at location and depth wise.

As others have said. Add one on and use your boat. TBH after using one, not sure I would ever go without one again.

Last edited:

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Your phone can provide gps, so you can get speed and maps (Navionics map $20 yr), but only depths on charts). Personally I would be looking for an aftermarket transducer.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please...
Do you own a smartphone? $14 in navionics, and you have yourself situated.

EDIT: don't forget to install one of the trillion free speed apps, lol

Sowie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Airmar makes the transducers. Dt800 with 20 degree angle. There is a thread on here for how to solder the old plug onto new transducer as the plugs are different. You could be fixed for less than $300. I also say BS with them telling you not to use the boat. There are many boats that dont come with depth or speedo. Follow the channel markers.

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2020 242x. My transducer went out this year. Same thing “back ordered”. Never Thought for one second to leave it parked. Why Would you? Speedo means nothing and when I look at the depth it’s because I already know its likely shallow so I’m already cautious. I won’t miss a minute. If you feel you need it then install an aftermarket until it’s resolved.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with those that say put an aftermarket transducer or depth finder in place and boat on. It’s either an expensive lawn ornament or the source of some great times on the water with family and friends.

however I was in a similar situation and chose not to use the boat instead. My boat was having its leaking oil coolers replaced under warranty at the local yamaha dealer at the end of the season. It had been there a week but they hadn’t touched it so I wanted to pick it up, use it and drop it back off. Their response, “if you take it out of here before we fix it, it won’t be covered.” I missed out on one of the hottest weekends of the summer but because of the warranty my out of pocket costs were only about $250 so 10% of the total cost including labor.

all this to say, “Your F’d”, just kidding. It’s really easy to take the risk when it’s not yours to take. There is a member here with a 27’ yamaha, something was wrong with One of his pumps he didn’t wait for the repair/replacement under warranty, took his boat out, o think out of the shop, the pump and shaft failed damaging the motor which he ended up replacing out of pocket to get back on the water quickly, $20k as I recall. I don’t remember if he ever got reimbursed by yamaha but so remember that they were not going to cover it under warranty, at least not initially, since he took the boat out knowing it had a problem.

the more I think about it the more I think boat warranties and insurance as bS compared to the auto industry. No lemon laws and no loaners.

anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is not a misaligned impeller shaft or engine issue. It’s a transducer. These things go out ALL THE TIME, even while out on the water. Even if Yamaha doesn’t cover the replacement because he used his boat it would still be cheaper to buy aftermarket transducer and even fancy fish finder combo (or not) to use the boat than it would be to let it sit and make payments doing nothing. I’d either cut my losses or get on the water. YMMV

If Yamaha acts like this over a transducer imagine if they let the cat out of the bag about the timing chain issue on pre-2016 engines LOL? I guess there would be a lot of boats just sitting on land never to see the water again.

Last edited: