• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Transom - Videos - Slingshot Wakesurfers Behind My AR240

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
is the XR version being carbon anymore durable than a regular?

I'm very nervous about buying a new board knowing it's going to get dinged and scratched fairly quickly,

I would gladly pay a little extra if I knew I'd gain some durability,
The answer in terms of simple bumps dings and chips is probably not... the board itself is lighter weight and more ridged which enhances the ride, but both have similar epoxy coatings on the exterior.

The hands down best protection for your board is one of these surf sleeves.
inCollage_20190813_082626677.jpg
We've got 6 if these in stock at a steep discount $77 off using the code "Sleeve" when checking out.
Or if we bundle it with a board we can do even better.
There are a few brands out there that carry socks you can slip over the board.

I don't have an XR Coaster in my current inventory but they are still available.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The answer in terms of simple bumps dings and chips is probably not... the board itself is lighter weight and more ridged which enhances the ride, but both have similar epoxy coatings on the exterior.

The hands down best protection for your board is one of these surf sleeves.
View attachment 103290
We've got 6 if these in stock at a steep discount $77 off using the code "Sleeve" when checking out.
Or if we bundle it with a board we can do even better.
There are a few brands out there that carry socks you can slip over the board.

I don't have an XR Coaster in my current inventory but they are still available.
These cover bags are awesome!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @J-RAD what board do u recommend for novices, a board with good maneuverability?🤙🏽

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @J-RAD what board do u recommend for novices, a board with good maneuverability?🤙🏽
Aloha! The answer is a little bit dependent on the wave you're generating and the size of the rider(s).

It is genuinely hard to beat the versatility of the ride the Coaster provides. It's very controllable and has a lot of speed. As far as maneuverabilityis not bad either, I can throw it around pretty well, but it's not the most agile board. I recommend the 5'3" for larger than 200lbs depending on the wake size, but the 5'0" is the more manageable for anyone smaller. Once you exceed 250+lbs I could make other suggestions, but again that be dependent on the wave.

My recommendation for a more agile board would be the Cobra Cat. I found the 5'0" Cobra Cat was every bit as easy for me to keep on my wave with. There is no 5'3" available, just the 5'0" and smaller 4'8". With a little skill and exceptional wake the 4'8" is a blast! The 5'0" seemed to rival the Coaster in speed but was definitely harder carving. We have also found it to be very manageable for beginners as well.

Videos of both products in action can be found on the first page of this thread. 🤙

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

tahoelocal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread but we took our 2018 AR240 out for the first time today and are looking into surfing boards. A couple questions:

Does a Wakebooster on a stock AR240 create a large enough wave to have fun on? At what point in our progression will we need a ballast?

Which board do you recommend we buy? I'm assuming there's a better option than the Yamaha Slingshot that comes with the package. We'll probably get comfortable fast so ideally something that's geared toward advanced riding but not impossible to learn on.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread but we took our 2018 AR240 out for the first time today and are looking into surfing boards. A couple questions:

Does a Wakebooster on a stock AR240 create a large enough wave to have fun on? At what point in our progression will we need a ballast?

Which board do you recommend we buy? I'm assuming there's a better option than the Yamaha Slingshot that comes with the package. We'll probably get comfortable fast so ideally something that's geared toward advanced riding but not impossible to learn on.
Old is gold! Glad to respond.

The best results with either device is going to we with ballast added. The job these products have is to deflect the jetwash and shape the wave not necessarily to make the wave bigger. They are not a substitute for ballast and displacement. Truly it is the displacement of the hull traveling thru the water and the water rushing in to fill that void that generates the wave. Ballast helps to sink the hull further and using it to lean the boat manipulates the wave to favor the surf side more. I would actually place ballast above any shaper on the list of priorities for surfing. I had the dealer install a 3 bag 3 pump ballast system in my boat prior to taking delivery. The amount of ballast is similar to the X model with 500lb bag under each rear under seat compartment and a 900lb bag in the ski locker. So we've always had the ability to use some ballast while surfing.

Yamaha's are designed to be lightweight and the amount of stock ballast is the very minimum for creating a surf wave. Although it may not be adequate for many. Using just our "stock" ballast we were only able to go ropeless for short stints of time. Below is a video showing how I was able to go ropeless using the Slingshot Coaster 5'0" and just 500lbs off ballast, but the pocket was very small and it took some trickery to optimize it. The board itself is great! The objective of the video was to show its capability with a minimal setup. Here is a video. Conditions we not ideal as I would eventually encounter some waves head on.

Full disclosure, I have never run the WakeBooster. My opinions on it are solely based the observation of others and those individuals reviews. Personally we run the Wake Wedge from Gantlin Products on our AR240 and are very satisfied with it. Here is how I would compare the 2:

The WakeBooster works by redirecting water moving along the side of the boat and channeling it into the wake. Whereas the Wake Wedge acts as an extension off the bottom of the swim platform that skims the surface of the wave and sculpts it as it knocks down the jetwash.

With a stock AR240 with no ballast or even a stock 242X with ballast the WakeBooster will have a slightly better wave because it will still be down in the water redirecting some of it into the wave. Though the wave will be rather modest, perhaps not surfable for many with a stock boat.

The issue I have heard with WakeBooster is that when running extra ballast like the custom swim deck bag from Gantlin Products the Wake booster actually aerates the wave what softens it and gives it less push.

For the Wake wedge, with stock ballast or a stock ar240, wake wedge will have a minimal effect on the wave. It is when the extra ballast like the custom bag on the swim deck is added that it really does its job well, producing a wave that is both clean and solid. The other benefit of the Wake Wedge is in its adjustability. I think it, in combination with the swim deck bag really is the best formula for surfing these boats.

Bottom line is, ballast is a critical part of the equation to surfing ropeless behind your boat. Without it, you can still have a good time playing around on the wave.

tahoelocal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really appreciate the detailed response! So to confirm, you recommend getting the Wake Wedge and swim deck bag. What size bag, and is just 1 bag sufficient? Also, is the bag placed on the same side that the wedge is on?

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome information. We are just starting out with a 2016 ar240 a WakeBooster, two 800 lb and one 400 lb ballast bags and the slingshot that came with the WakeBooster. All this was included with the boat. Had a chance to try it out in Havasu last week. We only had the 400 lb ballast filled on the port side and the WakeBooster installed and my 6' 200lb son was able to get off rope for some pretty long rides if I kept at about 5200rpm and turned in a slight left circle. I can see what you are saying about the Wake Booster. The wave does not shape like what you are showing in the vids, but I want to try it with much more ballast and see where we go.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really appreciate the detailed response! So to confirm, you recommend getting the Wake Wedge and swim deck bag. What size bag, and is just 1 bag sufficient? Also, is the bag placed on the same side that the wedge is on?
Those 2 things I definitely recommend. The swim deck bag is about 850lbs on its own I believe, which it's a lot to have in one location. It does work best with either a 2nd bag in the ski locker or weight up in the bow. It will act to help the boat plane and also lengthen the wave. I'm pretty certain Gantlin sells other bags besides the swin deck bags. Perhaps start a conversation with @jcyamaharider (Gantlin owner) about ballast options.

Slingshot is a great brand and their boards are very well designed and built. The Coaster is a rad board, it was co-developed with Yamaha and they nailed it! It's been our best selling wakesurfer among Yamaha owners.

My rep offered me the chance to buy up a group of last year's model Coasters being clearanced from their European Union warehouse. We're expecting them to arrive somewhere around the April 8th-12th. We have had a lot of interest in them so I've gone a head and listed them for folks to reserve. They are clearance priced at 30% off. The listings are below. Simply add your board of choice to your cart and checkout and we will begin shipping as soon as they land.

I have one 2019 5'0" left that's incoming

2020 models
4 of the 5'0" size left
5 of the 5'3" left

I have 8 of the 2020 5'0" Coaster XR models left
The XR are a lightweight construction with carbon fiber reinforcement in key areas.

I also have a couple 2021 Coasters in the 5'0". All the 2021 Slingshot boards are the XR construction. Message me if you'd like a discount code on one of these.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

We make a 24ft transom bag that is made just for your boat. You will also need a 750 pound locker bag. This is the minimum ballast that you can run to have a surfable wave ( Rider skill, and board play a role also ) The transom bag is placed on the side that you surf on. The Wake Wedge also goes on the side that you surf on. For an even better wave use another 750 bag on or under the surf side rear cabin seat. DM me if you need further info.