• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Troubleshooting yamaha 232 limited S

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the starter turn the motor after you shut it down and the motor is hot?

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does the starter turn the motor after you shut it down and the motor is hot?
the engine doesn't seems to be hot. We made some test with the electronic thermometer. it's not hot. But restarting the boat is not possible. The engine does not restart.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the starter freely rotate the crankshaft.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe the port safety switch under clean out hatch needs to be adjusted.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
If it was the safety switch then the engine wouldnt crank.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the engine crank?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does it "crank" when it is hot?

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does it "crank" when it is hot?
when its hot, i can't start it. satuday i was able to do 30 minutes without any problem. but once i stoppped it (to swin 30 minutes), i was not able to start again this engine

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The service manual is indispensable for troubleshooting and maintenance.

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The service manual is indispensable for troubleshooting and maintenance.
can we find it online ? is it possible to download it ?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is readily available. eBay may be the least expensive.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sent you a direct message on where to find the service manual.

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello, somes news. We changed the spark plug, today we changed the oil pressure switch assy, we remove some oil to make sure that we never exceed the limit when the engine is hot... after some test, i still have the same problem. When the engine is "cold" is start very well. after 10 minutes, when i stop it and when i want to start it again, its impossible. if someone have some ideas - thanks

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Many times when you have a heat related issue like that it can be electrical. Poor connection or component going bad. Most commonly a coil. Works good cool then heats up and from expansion a connection breaks and the coil becomes dead. With it running poorly, one by one disconnect then reconnect each coil. Each time you disconnect a coil there should be a noticeable difference in the engine running. If you unplug one and there is no change then you found your bad coil. This can happen with injectors as well.
@JSWAGNER have you attempted this troubleshooting step? It seems most probable to me since you get a cold start.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In addition to the coils consider swapping the rectifiers (black, looks like a radiator about the size of a credit card but as thick as a deck of cards somewhere at or near the top of the engine) from port to starboard. It’s a long shot but I had a waverunner (140 hp mr1 engine) that had some the same symptoms that you are experiencing. That is, started easily when cold but hard to start or impossible to start when the engine was hot. The other thing that would happen is it sometimes just died while idling.

I’ve also had two coils go bad in my Yamaha jet boat. My engine always started but they ran rough and would sometimes die at idle. You lose a coil and you lose all power produced by the piston and cylinder it’s related to, this will be clearly reflected in the tach. When operating on three cylinders instead of four max rpm on Yamaha’s 1,812 cc engines is about 6k rom compared to7,600 on an engine running properly. Based on what you have stated/what I read id say you don’t have a coil or spark plug problem but a regulator and/or starting relay problem. Good luck chasing your bug and the solution to it down. Changing the spark plugs can only help.

Last edited:

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JSWAGNER have you attempted this troubleshooting step? It seems most probable to me since you get a cold start.
i gonna try this. I also gonna swap the coil between the 2 engines to see the differences

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In addition to the coils consider swapping the rectifiers (black, looks like a radiator about the size of a credit card but as thick as a deck of cards somewhere at or near the top of the engine) from port to starboard. It’s a long shot but I had a waverunner (140 hp mr1 engine) that had some the same symptoms that you are experiencing. That is, started easily when cold but hard to start or impossible to start when the engine was hot. The other thing that would happen is it sometimes just died while idling.

I’ve also had two coils go bad in my Yamaha jet boat. My engine always started but they ran rough and would sometimes die at idle. You lose a coil and you lose all power produced by the piston and cylinder it’s related to, this will be clearly reflected in the tach. When operating on three cylinders instead of four max rpm on Yamaha’s 1,812 cc engines is about 6k rom compared to7,600 on an engine running properly. Based on what you have stated/what I read id say you don’t have a coil or spark plug problem but a regulator and/or starting relay problem. Good luck chasing you big and the solution to it down. Changing the spark plugs can only help.
as i understand you think about the ignition coil ? is that correct ? or a relay ?