• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

txav8r's new barn construction (RV but could be boat)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking good mel.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@txav8r This is a great thread, I am watching it like a hawk. Looking great coming up and together so fast!

--

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
All bolts have a watertight washer and panels of each arch waterfall over the lower panel by 12", and finally, each arch has an overlapping lip that seals over the next. No caulk is even necessary on the building seams, just the perimeter of the base plates and under them.

But based on experience so far, you need a big crew and be flexible in body as well as adapt to mounting challenges. But we are getting it up. I have found 4 panels with at least one hole not punched. 5 more arches up today.
Pics to follow.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@txav8r is there a common concrete practice for it stopping like this instead of going the little bit farther to meet the existing?

Great job!

IMG_1685.PNG

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Wayloncle , yes it is common practice. You don't want to run any concrete to a point as it will crack off. So they will always cut a point and square it.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Wayloncle , yes it is common practice. You don't want to run any concrete to a point as it will crack off. So they will always cut a point and square it.
Makes sense!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yesterday I hated this barn. But we have adapted and overcome, although I a a civilian. It's a tough build but it is far superior to a conventional metal barn. The manufacturer says wind loading of 130mph and 5 foot snow load. And...while slow progress has been made, we are beyond the lower curve and cured the ailments as well as learned the techniques to build it well. But I intend to hold the manufacturer accountable for miss drilled panels.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@txav8r
Mel,

You should set up a live streaming camera for us. Just like the ones we have been watching hatching the eagle eggs!:winkingthumbsup"

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If I wasn't in deep just trying to build on limited timeframe, and if I had some help on streaming, I would do it.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...the world's biggest Erector set...

Love the progress! Keep with the updates!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Only 5 arches to go!!!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You know, I have had a few days of regret and now seeing the finish line, satisfied that this is a good barn. But...would be nice to talk to someone you trusted to give you straight advice in the way to build this type of structure. Anyone that chooses to build one of these, talk to me. It's a great structure, hit the manufacturer will glaze over the actual work to build it. It has taken a team of 5 to 7, 3 full days to build to where we are, and another couple of days with only a few working. We are back to 3 or less workers. One half day was taken removing 2 full arches and rebuilding them, as our pace was faster than my supervision. And yesterday and today, I have spent a great deal of my time, drilling the panels that were shipped to me and not fully drilled. Regardless, I feel this is a quality building. But the issues caused by lack of quality control have yet to be shared with the manufacturer and not sure what that will result in.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have only done a small shed of that type of construction and had similar issues (undrilled holes, needed more people than anticipated to put up, etc.). I can only imagine this project. Well, except for the pictures. That helps the imagination some. :)

Quite an undertaking!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@tdonoughue , a much bigger project than I ever imagined. But all in all, my bro in law thinks it is a great barn and they have been here for the bulk of construction. He wants to get one to build a shop for my sister. They already have two barns on 7 acres in the Texas panhandle. It is actually an amazing structure free of other support but yet stronger than any other design.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My wife tells me out last push today to tighten up the last 4 arches and brace the next 4, had us complete 1 more arch than I thought...only 4 to go!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We are on the last arch. Our family helpers left yesterday and we ran into issues later that afternoon. Had to remove what we did all afternoon. Anyway, just about done with the shell.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great Mel. Keep up the great work and thanks for letting us follow your progress.