• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

txav8r's new barn construction (RV but could be boat)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Murf'n'surf It's a siken product. A specific anchor intent. Comes with two mixer tubes and caulk gun cartridge. I'll post a pic later of it. Best stuff I could find for the application and used in commercial application for the same purpose. It's a two part epoxy slurry in two separated compartments inside the caulk tube. It has a grainy texture, like it has cement dust in it too.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Meant to say a sika product...
image.jpeg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I finished the rest of the holes without issue. I had one hole I did yesterday that I hit the rebar on, and as a result, it was only 3" deep instead of the 4.4" spec'ed by Hilti for their fastener. But the engineer said just cut the bolt 1.5" and bury it in the epoxy and that has worked and held torque no problem. I removed the second set of base plates after I finished installing them, cleaned under and wiped them, installed a rope caulk under where spec'ed, replaced the base plates, caulked a ring around each of the bolt holes, installed the square washers, washers, nuts, and realigned the plates. Then I torqued them all back down. I still have the first side to pull up and do the same to in the morning, and then I am ready to rock and roll on getting that building up. If I had 3 guys to help me tomorrow, I would get a start. If I end up working by myself, I will rent a Genie 34/20 for 750 per week. Rain coming this weekend however...
ucm03_034009.jpg ucm03_032951.jpg
But using this would be slower than 3 or 4 guys and a scaffolding building and setting the 200 lb. arches one at a time. By myself, I can use this lift and set them alone...I think:confused:I'm wondering why we don't seem to have a praying hands imoje?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What about that fork lift for lifting the arches in place? Should be easy!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think a for lift like that genie telehandler would be great. But I would still need scaffolding as the forklift wouldn't have a basket to lift personnel. So either scaffolding or sissor lift, or boom lift with basket. Not sure what other options I might have?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I rented a lift like that for a weekend a few years ago to trim some trees, made me wish I owned one!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think a for lift like that genie telehandler would be great. But I would still need scaffolding as the forklift wouldn't have a basket to lift personnel. So either scaffolding or sissor lift, or boom lift with basket. Not sure what other options I might have?
Mel, I am not 100% familiar with your materials but I think a scissor lift could be an excellent option. You can lift both the people and materials and drive it around while elevated. I bought one for $5,500 when building my house and sold it a year later for $4,500. We used to it to move lots of materials. It saved us so much time. If your arches are in sections you could assemble them on the ground then use a rope from the scissor lift to stand them up.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel, I am not 100% familiar with your materials but I think a scissor lift could be an excellent option. You can lift both the people and materials and drive it around while elevated. I bought one for $5,500 when building my house and sold it a year later for $4,500. We used to it to move lots of materials. It saved us so much time. If your arches are in sections you could assemble them on the ground then use a rope from the scissor lift to stand them up.

Did you forget his occupation? This is more likely the tool Mel would use....

Ahhh hell.....insert pic of a chinook heli here! Can't get my link to post.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The scissor lift is a definite option. The pics you posted @Bruce give me a little more faith on its stability. I had a little concern about lateral stability when pulling the arches up. But again, I have to have at least two guys on the ground lifting while I pull, as each arch weighs about 200 pounds. I have several to help, just not at the same time. So I may go the boom lift from the standpoint to can lift and set by myself. It's slow by yourself however.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r, my scissor lift weighed 7,000 pounds and that weight was low in the base. It was very stable. The controls are on the base as well as in the basket so you can operate it without being in the lift. If the lift tilts beyond a certain angle it refuses to go higher only allowing you to go down.

Mine had 4 wheel drive and mud tires but I believe you will always be on concrete so the small wheeled variety will work for you. I believe they are even more stable.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In the picture with the SIP wall section on top of the lift that is an 8'x9' wall section at around 325 pounds. We often had the next 3 or 4 wall sections on the lift. My Dad and I would find the next sections and use long forks on the tractor to stack them on the lift. After we sent them up the third floor crew would slide them off and erect then. We used the lift for everything. We did not build stairs between the three floors until weeks after the house was dry.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That's a way bigger lift then I've seen in the rental yards. That live probably cost me 2500 a week. Was it gas or electric? I wouldn't mind buying one for five or $6000, and selling it a few weeks later and taking a loss it be certainly cheaper than paying the rental .

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a way bigger lift then I've seen in the rental yards. That live probably cost me 2500 a week. Was it gas or electric? I wouldn't mind buying one for five or $6000, and selling it a few weeks later and taking a loss it be certainly cheaper than paying the rental .
It ran on gas and propane. Rental was $1,000 a month. I purchased from National Lift where it was posted for $7,500. I offered $5,500 and they said yes within minutes so I should have offered less. Rental business sales guys get commission on the difference in the sales price and the depreciated value. Units that have been in the rental fleet have been deprecated to very low values.

You would not need such a large lift. It was capable of lifting 27' which was perfect for my 32' top plates. Using the lift we installed the 30 windows in less than 6 hours.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Were they local to you @Bruce ? I've been working so much I haven't had a chance to look around. That is a huge discount to price st $7500 and take $5500!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce , how do these lifts operate on a surface that isn't level? As I get to the end of my building, I will be off the foundation slab and on the connecting drive. It's not level.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce , how do these lifts operate on a surface that isn't level? As I get to the end of my building, I will be off the foundation slab and on the connecting drive. It's not level.
They have maximum slope ratings which are not very high. We sometimes put shims under tires to level it out. Some have outriggers and may be self leveling.

But I would think the lift would be under the sections instead of outside of them.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
And don't forget that it has a slide out on one side as well giving you a bit more room if needed. That way you can stay on the level comcrete. Don't be loading it up weight wise though!