• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

txav8r's new barn construction (RV but could be boat)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It would be under the sections. Except for having to be at least a couple feet outside, so you can lift the arch and set its lip on top of the previous arches lip, and install all the bolts two feet over the top of that arch on the previous arch. Leaning while standing 15' over concrete isn't appealing, so I want to make sure that I have adequate surface and stability to do this job without incident or accident. The manufacturer uses and recommends the use of scaffolding and extra hands vs lifts. Because more hands are needed to position and set, as well as put them together I guess. But they say they too have used both. The lift can be a real asset, but I'm guessing I will still need some scaffolding. Under a 20' wide building, room may be a bigger issue. Ideas?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And don't forget that it has a slide out on one side as well giving you a bit more room if needed. That way you can stay on the level comcrete. Don't be loading it up weight wise though!
Hmm, I see those on the bigger lifts but I didn't see it on the small one I saw at the rental yard. Good idea however!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't be loading it up weight wise though!
Are you suggesting it was wrong to load it full of bricks then have people pushing up to get it moving up with more assistance at each level of scaffolding?

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@txav8r
Use a 14 ft Life Line!!!:winkingthumbsup"

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My biggest fear, would be a shimmed surface giving way, and the lift toppling.

I think @Speedling was saying not to load all weight on the slideout extension overhanging the end. Or can you do that safely? I certainly do to is the warnings and cautionso_O...I wonder...I bet it is loaded with all kinds of warning stickers, but I bet it doesn't have the very cool anal and vaginal warnings like our boats :eek::winkingthumbsup"

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at your pictures I do not see a slope that would be a problem.

The scissor lift has a sensor to measure its angle uses that combined with height to determine what is safe. If you exceed the safety tolerances an alarm goes off and it will only allow you to go down.

After you are down level it with whatever strong shims you have. We used pieces of 2x12.

Depending on the size of the unit you should be able to support a section of the arch on the slide out. We certainly had 600+ pounds of people and stuff on the slide out of mine at times.

I had more unfounded concerns about narrow side stability than the slide out. When installing the windows I would move the lift to the hole then the crew inside would pass me an up to 400 window and one of them would climb out onto the lift while I held the window. Then we would attach suction cups, lift the window over the rail and install it into the house. That involved 450+ pounds of people and 400 pounds of window at the edge of a lift that was elevated more than 20 feet.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I gave your above post an informative...because I couldn't find a..."you have got to be F'ing kidding me! rating...let me check the emoji's...I guess were missing that emoji too! This will have to do:cold::eek::jawdrop: That is kinda how I felt on an 9' little giant yesterday, unfolded as an extension ladder, and standing on the 14' rung against a tree, with a 9' extension chain saw extended over my head, cutting interfering limbs from over the slab.:nailbiting: I repositioned the ladder twice as I had two guys helping to hold the limb back when you fell and I just knew it was going to hit me or the ladder. Well, a lot of good the rope and those guys did, that limb, some 8" in diameter at the cut end, kind of did a pit and the pendulum between that other tree and the ladder, missing me by only a few feet and landing on the base of the ladder. All I can say is I was STUPID! Trees are cleared now, but I won't be doing that again. Same with hanging over a lift! :winkingthumbsup"

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel, I may have made that sound a little more exciting than it was. The lift was less than 2' from the house so the worst case scenario would have been the lift leaning into the wall.

But rest assured that my legs took their revenge that evening. Somehow between installing 30 windows in 6 hours on a June day I forgot to stay hydrated. As I remember it they cramped up for ten minutes while Emma and Gavin were trying to figure out what was wrong with daddy.

I am happy to cut trees down but I let the pros take care of large limbs. Unless they are straight it is really difficult to guess how they will fall. A climber secured to the tree above the limb is in a much safer position.

Please be careful, saving a few thousand on this project is not worth losing your life or livelihood.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh, I forgot the most exciting part of that day. My Dad was recently retired and helped with almost every part of building the house. The two contractors who had the most involvement were Lee and Sharon who are a husband and wife crew. Lee and I were on the lift outside the master bedroom installing 6'x4' picture windows at the third floor level when one of the tires deflated. Lee and I are focused on prepping the window when we see my Dad and Sharon's arms come out is the window and start tugging on the lift. As the tire had deflated they had watched the lift basket start leaning away from the house and wete very worried that we were going to tip over onto the rocky 30 degree slope below. Lee and I were not concerned but everyone inside was. Eventually they agreed to inflate the tire if we would promise to hold the lift near the house.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah, we all have those moments. And no, saving anything isn't worth risking life or limb...pun intended. I was really careful but it just didn't come down like I expected. But if I hadn't moved the ladder the second time, it would have hit me dead on. And those things happen quick when they finally start to fall. It was a good reminder.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, we all have those moments. And no, saving anything isn't worth risking life or limb...pun intended. I was really careful but it just didn't come down like I expected. But if I hadn't moved the ladder the second time, it would have hit me dead on. And those things happen quick when they finally start to fall. It was a good reminder.
Amen to that.

The last time I did some tree limb removal by my house... I had a very large limb fall -- along the most unusual and twisted trajectory -- and knock the gas meter off the gas main :banghead:. Lets just say, it was the only time I had fire trucks parked in front of my house.

Few years back but still hurts to think about it. And I swear it all happened in slow-mo.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have rented a genie s40 boom lift several times in the construction and painting of a 42 ft. high barn we built 5 years ago. Only a 500 lb basket load allowed. Great for installing purlins and cables as well as painting, but bows were assembled and a crane used to erect.0830110942a.jpg 1112111016#1.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks for that @zipper . It is good to see all the different ways that these are constructed.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Slow progress. This is a tough build. It is big and flimsy to get the first few arches completed. But will move faster now. I will describe the issues later but here is the progress.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Looking good Mel.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks @DCB-270 . @Big Shasta , nuts and bolts. Over 90 in each arch just to assemble arch. Then a number I haven't counted to connect each arch to the next. It's a bunch. My hands hurts as well as feet and legs today.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow....talk about getting screwed!! That sure is a lot of screws!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you make that watertight?