• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

User error, could've been worse!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I have the morning off and go out with the plan of finally installing my JBP TVs. Well, it didn't work out but I ended up cleaning up the boat, organizing it and what not. I also asked the marina to pull out my trailer from storage to give it some TLC. So I lug it around the marina after cleaning it and airing up the tires. Practiced some backing up. I have never trailered the boat out of the marina, mind you, only use it to take the boat out for maintenance.

Anyyyyways. I'm driving back to return the trailer to the drop off location and I hear a metallic sound of something dropping. Huh. I wonder what that was? Oh well... I get to the other side of the marina, go to unhook the trailer... and the hitch pin ain't there! Today I used a hitch pin / lock combo and I guess the lock didn't engage and the pin just fell off. I normally use a pin with a safety pin on the other side but didn't have with me today. I can't stop thinking, what if I had the boat on and that trailer just fell off my truck, hitch ball and all... lessoned learned.

Did the trailor fall off or just hanging there on the safety chains?

Did the trailor fall off or just hanging there on the safety chains?
None of the above. the shaft of the ball hitch (that just sounds wrong) just didn't fall off, it remained inside the hitch receiver. I was driving slow.

Good deal, but man it could have been really F$%king bad ?

Wow...good thing you weren't launching.

You could have ended up something like this Custer Fluck if your jack was down...substitute your truck for the forklift.

Wow...good thing you weren't launching.
And I was planning on retrieving but a series of events changed my plans. The gods of boating were watching out for me.

I think I will stop trusting this lock pin and go back to the good old security pin

The gods of boating were with me last Saturday also. Had a buddy down from Michigan so was going to take him out and enjoy the beautiful Georgia weather. Well during my launch routine my buddy was helping (which messes me up) right before I dip the boat in the water, the gods of boating alarm goes off in my head "WARNING DUMN ASS THE PLUGS NOT IN"

Funny, this happened to me a few weeks ago. The trailer had been hooked up for 2-3 days and had done 2-3 launches/retrieves. On the day it happened, I launched the boat, then went and parked the truck. Came back to the truck to drive off, about a 1/4 mile later I heard it happen. I pulled into the first parking lot to examine. Ball was attached to hitch, hitch was under the truck. Luckily where I pulled in was a home improvement store and they sold trailer locks. I keep a floor jack in the truck so I jacked up the trailer and re-attached everything in about 5 minutes. Rear bumper is damaged, still need to go get a quote for that.

I am more dumbfounded on how it happened. I had been driving with the trailer/boat for 2 days. 100% didn't forget to put the pin in. I assume lock wasn't latched. Also at the launch before it happened some guys where bitching at me because I couldn't get the truck out of the ramp fast enough (had to launch then idle around the corner to a ramp - no place to tie up. I ran over to park the truck and then went back to finish with the boat and we had some words in the mean time. Not sure if they messed with something. I don't think so but I'll never know.

Funny, this happened to me a few weeks ago. The trailer had been hooked up for 2-3 days and had done 2-3 launches/retrieves. On the day it happened, I launched the boat, then went and parked the truck. Came back to the truck to drive off, about a 1/4 mile later I heard it happen. I pulled into the first parking lot to examine. Ball was attached to hitch, hitch was under the truck. Luckily where I pulled in was a home improvement store and they sold trailer locks. I keep a floor jack in the truck so I jacked up the trailer and re-attached everything in about 5 minutes. Rear bumper is damaged, still need to go get a quote for that.

I am more dumbfounded on how it happened. I had been driving with the trailer/boat for 2 days. 100% didn't forget to put the pin in. I assume lock wasn't latched. Also at the launch before it happened some guys where bitching at me because I couldn't get the truck out of the ramp fast enough (had to launch then idle around the corner to a ramp - no place to tie up. I ran over to park the truck and then went back to finish with the boat and we had some words in the mean time. Not sure if they messed with something. I don't think so but I'll never know.
so it also was a lock type pin? I wonder if they jiggle free or something. Really worries me. I could've sworn the lock had engaged with the pin.

this is what i have

And I was planning on retrieving but a series of events changed my plans. The gods of boating were watching out for me.

I think I will stop trusting this lock pin and go back to the good old security pin
I hope you counted your blessings and played the lottery that day.

Way back in 2013 I Installed the hitch pin behind the draw bar instead of through the hole in the draw bar (another way to say this is I put my pin in the correct exterior hole but missed the hole on the shaft). The draw bar (part the ball is mounted to) didn’t come out of the receiver until 30 miles down the freeway while I was doing 60 mph plus with my whole family in the car. Luckily the safety chains and what I call the surge brake emergency/brake away cable did their jobs and I was able to safely drag the entire rig to the side of the freeway. I called tow boat us who brought out a floor Jack and got me on the road to Kmart where I bought a new draw bar, tow ball and safety chain which allowed me to continue on my boating weekend.

i think I went to a church I’ve never been to before or since that Sunday (even left a few more bills in the collection plate than I normally would) and am sure I bought a bunch of lottery tickets that day.

things could have been a lot worse for both of ua, I am glad they weren’t especially with all the “what if” scenarios to consider.
5BB2E635-2D9A-4C4E-861B-64A6499BD448.png661D3850-B373-4F6B-B6A2-318180343E58.png

I think it could happen with the locking pin or standard safety pin, the locking pin just provides extra security against theft of the draw bar and ball and possibly the bait and trailer but it doesn’t sound like you need a locking pin in your situation.
5BB2E635-2D9A-4C4E-861B-64A6499BD448.png661D3850-B373-4F6B-B6A2-318180343E58.png

The gods of boating were with me last Saturday also. Had a buddy down from Michigan so was going to take him out and enjoy the beautiful Georgia weather. Well during my launch routine my buddy was helping (which messes me up) right before I dip the boat in the water, the gods of boating alarm goes off in my head "WARNING DUMN ASS THE PLUGS NOT IN"

This right here. I always do all ths rear business all together. When my wife takes the transom straps off, that messes with the whole process. Straps, plugs while I'm down there and then clean out port.

so it also was a lock type pin? I wonder if they jiggle free or something. Really worries me. I could've sworn the lock had engaged with the pin.

this is what i have

I have never had a problem with this one I bought two years ago. And all I do is trailer.

Amazon.com: Connor Trailer Hitch Lock - 5/8" Black Nickel Hitch Pin for Class III, IV, V Hitches, 1615190 Receiver Lock : Automotive

I hope you counted your blessings and played the lottery that day.

Way back in 2013 I Installed the hitch pin behind the draw bar instead of through the hole in the draw bar (another way to say this is I put my pin in the correct exterior hole but missed the hole on the shaft). The draw bar (part the ball is mounted to) didn’t come out of the receiver until 30 miles down the freeway while I was doing 60 mph plus with my whole family in the car. Luckily the safety chains and what I call the surge brake emergency/brake away cable did their jobs and I was able to safely drag the entire rig to the side of the freeway. I called tow boat us who brought out a floor Jack and got me on the road to Kmart where I bought a new draw bar, tow ball and safety chain which allowed me to continue on my boating weekend.

i think I went to a church I’ve never been to before or since that Sunday (even left a few more bills in the collection plate than I normally would) and am sure I bought a bunch of lottery tickets that day.

things could have been a lot worse for both of ua, I am glad they weren’t especially with all the “what if” scenarios to consider.
View attachment 176657View attachment 176658

I think it could happen with the locking pin or standard safety pin, the locking pin just provides extra security against theft of the draw bar and ball and possibly the bait and trailer but it doesn’t sound like you need a locking pin in your situation.
View attachment 176657View attachment 176658
oh my

I like it. I think the lock would block the plugin receptacle for the trailer cables.

Maybe. Works on mine, i Have the lock on the driver side and my plug is on the passenger side and there is plenty of room. I guess it depends. Good Point.

this is what i have

It was this one:

There is a chance I didn't push the lock on all the way and the ping wiggled out slowly.

I now keep my hitch on 100% of the time and have a lock similar to the one you posted. I also need to get my front/rear dashcam working again.

So I have the morning off and go out with the plan of finally installing my JBP TVs. Well, it didn't work out but I ended up cleaning up the boat, organizing it and what not. I also asked the marina to pull out my trailer from storage to give it some TLC. So I lug it around the marina after cleaning it and airing up the tires. Practiced some backing up. I have never trailered the boat out of the marina, mind you, only use it to take the boat out for maintenance.

Anyyyyways. I'm driving back to return the trailer to the drop off location and I hear a metallic sound of something dropping. Huh. I wonder what that was? Oh well... I get to the other side of the marina, go to unhook the trailer... and the hitch pin ain't there! Today I used a hitch pin / lock combo and I guess the lock didn't engage and the pin just fell off. I normally use a pin with a safety pin on the other side but didn't have with me today. I can't stop thinking, what if I had the boat on and that trailer just fell off my truck, hitch ball and all... lessoned learned.

I forgot the swing away pin one time. Pulled out of the driveway and turned, trailer pivoted, and ran into the liftgate of my Tahoe. Dented the crap out of it. Luckily the Tahoe was near the end of its useful life and I just never fixed it. Lesson learned.

I forgot the swing away pin one time. Pulled out of the driveway and turned, trailer pivoted, and ran into the liftgate of my Tahoe. Dented the crap out of it. Luckily the Tahoe was near the end of its useful life and I just never fixed it. Lesson learned.
swing away?

Back