• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vehicle Bluetooth question

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This has happened a couple times and I dunno why so I hope someone can help me out here. I was driving our 2021 RAV-4 home and talking on the phone using BT, parked in the driveway , left the car running while I finished the phone call and my wife pulled into the drive with our 2017 GMC 2500 and my phone dropped BT connection to the RAV-4 and automatically hooked up to the GMC dropping the connection to my wife's phone. Why would this happen??

On other instances if we are taking the truck somewhere as a family and my wife starts the truck when I'm not within BT range her phone will stay connected to BT and my phone won't connect via BT even once I'm in the vehicle or get a call.

Any ideas??

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You probably need to select (or unselect) a favorite (priority) phone for each vehicle.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You probably need to select (or unselect) a favorite (priority) phone for each vehicle.
I understand the priority for each one but why won't my phone hook to my truck in the second example if my phone is the primary?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
#2 seems standard - Once connected to a phone it will not switch over to a favorite.

#1 seems like a phone setting of some sort. Maybe it favorites the GMC when in range? It is a bit odd - what type of phone is it?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
#2 seems standard - Once connected to a phone it will not switch over to a favorite.

#1 seems like a phone setting of some sort. Maybe it favorites the GMC when in range? It is a bit odd - what type of phone is it?
iPhone 12

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Many GM vehicles adjust settings based on which keyfob opened a door. Seats, mirrors pedal and steering wheel adjustments for those that have them. Could the bluetooth priority be changed based on the fob that opened the door or started the vehicle?

My wife's phone will BT connect to my sierra denali before mine as well. But ours is a 2018, that requires wired Apple Car play. I stopped using BT for my phone once I realized how much better everything was with car play. So even though her phone connects up, it drops as soon as I plug my iphone 12 mini into car play.

Lots of crazy priorities in the GM profiles. If you use car play, my guess is you are not wireless either since it is one year older.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many GM vehicles adjust settings based on which keyfob opened a door. Seats, mirrors pedal and steering wheel adjustments for those that have them. Could the bluetooth priority be changed based on the fob that opened the door or started the vehicle?

My wife's phone will BT connect to my sierra denali before mine as well. But ours is a 2018, that requires wired Apple Car play. I stopped using BT for my phone once I realized how much better everything was with car play. So even though her phone connects up, it drops as soon as I plug my iphone 12 mini into car play.

Lots of crazy priorities in the GM profiles. If you use car play, my guess is you are not wireless either since it is one year older.
The GMC is started with the same key no matter who drives and does not have individual driver settings.

The RAV-4 and GMC on initial startup always goes to either the last phone connected and if it's not present it connects to the phone that's in the car. Typical BT setup, but why would it switch just because the other vehicle gets within range especially after I had just drove the RAV-4 for over 30 minutes and was on an active call.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The GMC is started with the same key no matter who drives and does not have individual driver settings.

The RAV-4 and GMC on initial startup always goes to either the last phone connected and if it's not present it connects to the phone that's in the car. Typical BT setup, but why would it switch just because the other vehicle gets within range especially after I had just drove the RAV-4 for over 30 minutes and was on an active call.
ya, on GM's it's the fob, not the key that chooses the profile, even on the older trucks like ours without push button start.

Either way, I think the iphone has a bluetooth pecking order as well. For example, if I am in my shop with my iphone 12 mini BT connected to the stereo in there, all is well. Until I fire up the Polaris General, and the phone automatically switches over to the general. And when I shut it off, it will reconnect to the shop stereo, but will be paused, until I go over and start it up again. I would maybe search iphone BT priority device list.

good luck

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My iPhone and my wifes iPhone are both hooked up to her 2022 Yukon XL. Even if I start her car in the driveway with my phone in the car, and her phone in the house, it auto connects to her phone further away. If I remember right, when I hooked up her phone in the car, I selected hers to be the "primary" (as she drives it more that me, unless it needs gas) and have to disconnect hers to BT mine if we are both in the car.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know the "why", but it's iPhone related. I have an Android for personal use, and an iPhone for work. The Android does not do what you described, but the iPhone does, when paired with the same items, and additionally, boots the Android from any connections. I have to have the iPhone disconnect and forget the device, as simply disconnecting does not stop the behavior.

I don't know of a solution, since I don't usually pair both phones to the same things, except in certain circumstances, and I remove it from the iPhone right after I'm done (headset for iPhone calling).

I may end up being incorrect on this, but I can point to it being iPhone related for my situation at this point, which makes me think you may be able to narrow it down in a similar way. If that turns out to be the case for you as well, tinker with the phone settings.

If I get a chance to look at it tomorrow, I'll see if I can find out what might be going on

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My iPhone and my wifes iPhone are both hooked up to her 2022 Yukon XL. Even if I start her car in the driveway with my phone in the car, and her phone in the house, it auto connects to her phone further away. If I remember right, when I hooked up her phone in the car, I selected hers to be the "primary" (as she drives it more that me, unless it needs gas) and have to disconnect hers to BT mine if we are both in the car.
This response makes me even more convinced that the settings and the phone are responsible for the behavior you've experienced

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I’ll go through my phone settings and see if I can figure it out.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
LOL, I'm seeing a trend here (includes our 2020 RAM) with the wife's phone having priority over the husband's. :p

I usually plug my iPhone 8 so that it is always charged, but my wife's bluetooth iPhone 12 was pairing over my plugged in phone. We ended up unpairing her phone from the infotainment center.

Jim

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Jumping back on this, had to take the wife’s Yukon for gas (go figure) and when I went to connect my phone, I had to disconnect hers. Looks like there is an “auto” setting that detects a primary phone before searching for nearby phones. Hers is set to be the primary and even if she’s on her phone in the house, it will connect in the car if I go to move it from the driveway. I’m not sure if the previous generation GMs are like the new ones, but it would be nice to not have a “primary” phone that auto connects, but more a choose what device to connect.