• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vehicle wax recommendations

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I usually pay for car/truck details. Now that I have temporarily moved to my eastern shore house where there have been a total of about 300 rona cases since the start of this mess, I have too much time on my hands. For my boat, I have been using the 3M light cutting polish/wax. Squirt it on, buff it off with a $25 orbital polisher. Very easy, very effective, looks great. But damn those 3M bottles are expensive. What is a good quality yet cheap product I can snag on amazon or the auto parts store, for a wax or polish on my new and newer cars and truck, where the paint is still in great shape and doesn't need any compounding? I used to hate applying a paste wax, letting it dry and then hand buffing it off. Very tiresome. The 3M boat product is so very easy on the boat, albeit expensive and I'm too cheap to use it on my vehicles. Is there something you all like out there that works on vehicles and will really make that water "bead up?" (Which is a great sign that the product is working.) Thank you, experts!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@OCMD you got a link for the 3m product for yer boat?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With your boat @mark_m medium is what I would get. The light won't make a dent. And even with the medium, you may see some chalking come back so you will have to go over it a second time in some spots. But once done, almost good as new. They say to use a wool pad, but I just stick a microfiber cloth over the polisher and go with that. Just as effective IMO.

Not too bad for a 12 year old boat. BTW how is your 13 year old boat doing? Everything I said years ago?20200718_143141.jpg20200718_143121.jpg

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Griot's Poly Wax (synthetic paint sealant) applied with a RO buffer using a waxing/soft pad. It can last up to a year. It is easy to apply, and one bottle will probably do 10 cars (using a buffer to apply). It cures in about 15 minutes, and it wipes off easily with almost no dust.

Although it and other spray-on waxes claiming ceramic content are engaged in some marketing hype, Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic Spray On Wax is: wipe on /wipe off, highly durable (up to 6 months) and it beads water like crazy. I have started using it as a topper/refresh to a base of Poly Wax - think of it a the most durable detailer you can buy.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Elliott how does this compare to Griots "Best of Show wax? I used Griots leather preserver products on my old convertible and loved it.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Best in Show wax is a true carnauba wax (real wax from the palm). It will give you the best luster and warmest shine, but it also offers the least protection. It is perfect for your seldom driven treasured car, but it is a poor choice (unless you just like waxing your car) for a daily driver. At best it will last 2-3 months, but a few days in the hot sun will cause it to break down.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With your boat @mark_m medium is what I would get. The light won't make a dent. And even with the medium, you may see some chalking come back so you will have to go over it a second time in some spots. But once done, almost good as new. They say to use a wool pad, but I just stick a microfiber cloth over the polisher and go with that. Just as effective IMO.

Not too bad for a 12 year old boat. BTW how is your 13 year old boat doing? Everything I said years ago?View attachment 126361View attachment 126362
Ordered from amazon just now 👍🏻

Jilly Ruby Jane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Easy, peasy. Our boat hasn't been waxed in seasons. We cleaned it up with the meguiars 1 step compunction and then used this wax with a micro cloth bonnet on a polishing wheel. It looked and felt terrific.
Work in 2-3ft square sections. Polish, use 1 rag to remove excess (the" wet rag"), then 1 rag to buff the haze (the "dry rag). This worked really well.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Best in Show wax is a true carnauba wax (real wax from the palm). It will give you the best luster and warmest shine, but it also offers the least protection. It is perfect for your seldom driven treasured car, but it is a poor choice (unless you just like waxing your car) for a daily driver. At best it will last 2-3 months, but a few days in the hot sun will cause it to break down.
@Elliot.....modified carnuba - Meguair's Gold Yacht Marine Wax. Used it on a 2011 226XL all black hull, a 2013 EC310 all black hull, a 2014 EC 360 all black hull, a 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser all black and now a 2020 Yamaha SX195 with Yacht Blue hull. Either it works for me or I'm dumb as a stick! LOL :cool:

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Elliot.....modified carnuba - Meguair's Gold Yacht Marine Wax. Used it on a 2011 226XL all black hull, a 2013 EC310 all black hull, a 2014 EC 360 all black hull, a 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser all black and now a 2020 Yamaha SX195 with Yacht Blue hull. Either it works for me or I'm dumb as a stick! LOL :cool:
You are correct - a carnuba blend works well (you sacrifice some longevity for a warmer gloss, which many regard as a good bargain).
I personally like the cold glass look of synthetic wax, but that is just my choice.

I was trying to answer the question about Griot's Best of Show wax, which is unmodified (will have the warmest gloss with the shortest life).

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
You are correct - a carnuba blend works well (you sacrifice some longevity for a warmer gloss, which many regard as a good bargain).
I personally like the cold glass look of synthetic wax, but that is just my choice.

I was trying to answer the question about Griot's Best of Show wax, which is unmodified (will have the warmest gloss with the shortest life).
@Elliot....always appreciate your thoughtful and informative responses! :cool:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just an update...remember, I was talking about car wax, not boat wax. As for the Griot's Poly Wax, I tried it. It does go on very easy and looked good. But 2 months later, it is not really beading the water anymore, if this means anytning. The paste wax I used in the past that I got from my detailer, I can't locate anymore. But it looks like the same old song and dance. If it goes on easy, it is coming off easy. If it is work putting it on, it takes timefor it to wear off. Maybe I should periodically apply the spray on ceramic stuff?

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do not know why the Poly Wax is not performing well. I have use it on my cars and boat for years, and it typically lasts about a year. FWIW, I do apply it with a RO Buffer, which improves the bond to the surface. Is it possible that you applied the Poly Wax over some existing wax, and that caused it not to bond?

Also FWIW, I have been applying Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic Spray wax as a topper to the Poly Wax on cars and the boat. I did it more as a test than anything else. It has been on the boat for 4+ months, and water still beads like crazy. It is performing well on the cars too, but the boat and cars were still beading water well prior to the Ceramic Wax.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Elliott Brand new truck, first waxing. I applied it by hand, let it dry and then buffed with a polisher. Maybe I should have applied with a buffer? I just followed the directions, and as thinking would go, applying by hand gets it on well, then it dries and you buff it out. As opposed to applying it with a buffer which thins it out? Just thinking out loud. Your comment "improves bond" might be the difference so next car I will do it this way and see how it works. Thanks for the tips. I bet that was the key. BUt why do they give you an applicator lol! The stuff did go on easy and looked good for awhile. Thanks!

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You should definitely not use a buffer/polisher to remove the cured wax. You will remove a fair amount of the wax, especially if you use a cotton or even a microfiber bonnet; the worst choice would be to use a rotary buffer versus a random orbital buffer with a cotton bonnet.

You can apply Poly Wax by hand with the red sponge applicator, but it will not bond as well and you will use more product.

Using a random orbital buffer (not a rotary) with a soft waxing pad (same type of material as the red applicator) on a low speed (usually 2) and a hand wipe off with high quality (plush) microfiber towels will produce the best results. The application with the RO buffer and the soft waxing pad works the wax into the paint's surface while slightly warming it. Essentially to do it by hand, you would have to rub the wax in spending 30 seconds per square inch.

You did not say what kind of buffer you have. If you do not have an automotive grade RO Buffer, you will want to buy one. The Griot's G9 for ~$150 is a great starter buffer that you can use for many years even if you later buy a more powerful buffer for other reasons.

Or - you could just use the Griot's Spray On Ceramic or similar product with the basic wipe on wipe off, and you will just need to do it a little more often.

Best of luck.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Elliott I mis-spoke. I use a weak polisher, cost maybe 25 bucks years ago and don't use a pad but rather, hold a microfiber cloth to it and spin it. It is not strong at all, and saves my muscles. I have used this on my boat for years with spectacular results.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been really impressed with the Rejex I used on my boat, no idea how it'd last on a car. I really am terrible in taking care of my car. It gets a wash when I've got the boat hooked up to it, but I have yet to give either of my cars any special attention like a good waxing.