• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Foil (Poll on Group Buy Interest?)

Who's interested in a group buy on a Slingshot Hoverglide (wake foil)?

• My spouse said no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you tried it out yet, or just ordered it? We want to see you and it in action. :cool:
Just got shipping confirmation today. Will be a few weeks til the water is warm enough for this old guy. Ill see if i can post a vid once i get it going.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Word on the street is R7 is planning to cover 1/2 of Slingshot's $140 shipping charge. Meaning a additional discount of $70...

New cost of the Hoverglide shipped will now be $1270.

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Out of the 16 voters here is the anyone else still considering purchasing or what are your thoughts and apprehensions regarding the group buy?

The current tally is 5 committed buyers.

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update: Slingshot will drop ship the boards directly for a flat rate of $140 :greedy: to anywhere in the continental US. Which is logistically the best option, as each of these require 2 packages each to ship and judging from those who are interested they'd be shipping to NY, FL, and WA.

NEW SHIPPED PRICE $1,340

Also, due to demand, Slingshot is estimating mid May for shipping.

Consensus:
1) Shipping is not a bargain
2) At 25% discount is still $259 less than I can find elsewhere...

R7 should be posting the sale soon.

(Still trying to get answers on accessories)
Update: I was informed thru Slingshot will have these back in stock between May 18-21. Just in time to take orders from the group buy.

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am looking hard at the Wakefoil AK any thoughts?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking hard at the Wakefoil AK any thoughts?

@spatty99 is this the Liquid Force foil you had/have? Maybe you can comment?

I saw this one while I was researching foils. It seems comparable to the Slingshot system. Retail looks to be about $100 more but similar features.

I was sold on the versatility of the Slingshot foil with the variety of wings and board. Slingshot known for having some great boards. I'm not too impressed with the one Liquid Force wakesurf board I own, but I know I didn't buy a premium board anyway. I've heard Slingshot boards are pretty great though.

Are you aware of the current group buy going on for the Slingshot foil? I just placed my offical order last week. Tomorrow is the last day to get your order in.

Last edited:

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2016 Liquid Force Fish foil. From what I can tell, aside from the re-branding and graphics, it looks identical to the "Wakefoil Original" foil. It has a relatively low aspect flat front wing, so it is good for towing with stable slow carving. For a 200# rider a good boat speed is around 13mph. I was planning to sell the foil (perfect condition) if anyone wanted a great discount on getting into foiling.

Any foil will do the trick for towing behind the boat, since you can adjust speed as needed. Wing types will influence ride characteristics, and generally speaking, wings with an upside down U shape are faster turning but less stable, wings with a wider wingspan are more efficient and thus ride faster, wings that are deeper front to back have more lift and plane at lower speeds. Slingshot has a large variety of wings for their modular system.

Surfing the wake ropeless behind a stock Yamaha boat will be difficult with any foil because it doesn't have enough push. Most of the videos you see are lighter riders (and/or experts) with deeper wings "pumping" the foil. Slingshot is introducing a new wing next year intended for ropeless surfing of smaller wakes.

The boards really don't make a big difference aside from when first learning. When learning you want something with a lot of surface area and an upturned nose to keep you from pearling/submarining when you touch down. I think almost all of the foils/boards are using the same mounting pattern, a 90mm spread, some with 4 bolt holes and some with a track. Most boards intended for foiling aren't great for wakesurfing (particularly for the smaller Yamaha wake) since they are a little more robust for the application, whereas a good Yamaha wakesurf board is as fast and light as possible. Some boards include strap mounting holes, but it is best to try riding without them. They limit re-positioning when on the board, and more importantly when falling you want to fall away from your foil (so the half straps might be a good compromise), being attached can make the foil whip back at you like a sharp pendulum.

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got the Wakefoil Original unopened from ebay a few months ago for $900 and just scored the new mast and foil wings on ebay for $350 they will be here this week. I know the wings are compatible not sure on the mast looks the same but with that new track system. I could sell the old complete and wash buying the new board and hardware, I am going to try the new wings and if old the board is easy to sink making much better to get up on the board I might keep it for the kids. I will post back going out wed or thurs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wakefoil-SS-Surf-Wing-Set-with-Carry-Bag-/332646312433?hash=item4d7343e9f1:g:hSkAAOSw8e5a8w82&nma=true&si=8RTFygAnKRggLqhFec74oQKoPQk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the Wakefoil Original unopened from ebay a few months ago for $900 and just scored the new mast and foil wings on ebay for $350 they will be here this week. I know the wings are compatible not sure on the mast looks the same but with that new track system. I could sell the old one and wash buying the new board and hardware, I am going to try the new one if the board is easy to sink making much better to get up on the board I might keep it for the kids. I will post back going out wed or thurs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wakefoil-SS-Surf-Wing-Set-with-Carry-Bag-/332646312433?hash=item4d7343e9f1:g:hSkAAOSw8e5a8w82&nma=true&si=8RTFygAnKRggLqhFec74oQKoPQk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Nice! Report back and let us know how it works for you.

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Between the two I would definitely go with the surf straps (but preferably no straps). The kiteboarding straps are a better hold (for doing kite jumps), but for foiling the straps only help keep the board in place when you are water starting (assuming you aren't going to be doing foil jumps!), after that they are a hindrance.

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wings are very different the mast is longer but with the same base plate so I can use it on the old board.

Attachments