• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Foil (Poll on Group Buy Interest?)

Who's interested in a group buy on a Slingshot Hoverglide (wake foil)?

• My spouse said no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a weight limit on these things? I'm a solid 220 most days and 6'2" tall. I have problems with surf boards not being big enough. Buddy has a centurion with a gazillion pounds of ballast and makes what feels like a 4ft tall wave. Can't throw the rope in on either of his 3 boards. I'll go for a bit but eventually lose push and fall off the back of the wave. Longest I've gone is maybe 30 seconds without the rope. Are these foils the same way? Would hate to spend $1k and not be able to "surf" with it. On the other hand it looks easy enough to do with the rope all the time.

Also, what speed are these guys riding at? One video mentioned like 15mph. That's just off plane for my AR190, and without a speed control I'm not sure I could maintain that easily. I know the wife couldn't for certain. Guess I "need" that $1k Hydrophase, before I can get this $1k foil :) :)

You guys sure are good at spending my money!
I don't think you have much to worry about with weight limit with these things, if anything it may increase your chances for success. If it doesn't play out surfing, there the H2 wing you can swap, and if that doesn't work it still looks like a blast to be towed with. With the fins added and mast removed it looks like it'd be a quick riding board, which it sounds like you need. I'm trying to look at it as a 3 in one value... so far that justification is working. :rolleyes:
Side note: you will not regret a Hydrophase!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think you have much to worry about with weight limit with these things, if anything it may increase your chances for success. If it doesn't play out surfing, there the H2 wing you can swap, and if that doesn't work it still looks like a blast to be towed with. With the fins added and mast removed it looks like it'd be a quick riding board, which it sounds like you need. I'm trying to look at it as a 3 in one value... so far that justification is working. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info. I'm seriously considering a build your own kit at this point!

Side note: you will not regret a Hydrophase!
I know, I know. ......it's next on the list!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I've not been in a hurry to purchase my setup seeing as how I'm still at least a month away from sticking my toes in the still fridgid waters. But, I did hear back from my friend at R7 Watersports about the idea of hosting a group buy and she says they're on board with it. No word yet on what kind of deal they'll offer...? I'm not sure what kind of margins they're working with as a retailer. I'm hoping it'll be enough to tempt a few of us into purchasing.

I just see it as being a positive all the way around for our boats. Seeing @giroux68 video of his daughter on it I think proves it's not the crazy airchair of the past, but a stable family friendly toy they're all going to be fighting to ride...

I'll keep you all posted on the offer as I get details.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Awesome!! Looking forward to a group buy!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've always been interested in these, but they were (and seem to be) still out of my price range. At 1500-2k....that is an expensive toy. If it were to drop sub 1k....then I think it would become "popular".
I was just reading back thru posts and this made me think of a promotion I saw this morning on Overtons for 20% off and free shipping. I searched for foils on the site and this one from Liquid Force is the only one they have available.
https://www.overtons.com/product/details?pdesc=Liquid-Force-Wakefoil-Wakeboard-With-Foil-System&i=309261
Unfortunately it says "additional discounts do not apply.", so I assume the 20% off would not apply and it's on back order to begin with. Anyhow, it was closer to the $1k mark and if the 20% applied would have bed right at it. It's $300 less than the Slingshot which is a good deal, as long as it does what you want.

In my opinion (for whatever it's worth) it lacks the versatility of the slingshot board. The Slingshot is towable, surf foil able, wake surfable (with the option to add some FCSII fins), add straps and you can get some air, you get 2 masts, not to mention the ability to swap wings... none of its cheap. But if you look at it in the sense of it being a 4 or 3 or 2 for 1 then it starts to make a little more sense.

Besides that, I know Slingshot makes a great wakesurf board. I'm not super impressed with my Liquid Force board, although it's an entry level board to begin with.

Last edited:

thefastz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'd be interested in a group buy as well! I may pick up a Clearwater super wing kit in the mean time, too.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone do fiberglass work? Ive found a few website for the materials, but if someone has a good supplier to suggest post it up.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
http://www.airchair.com

My brother had one of these in the 90s about killed me lol
Lol! These look a little more tame... I remember being impressed whenever I saw someone riding one. I never got the opportunity... they've always looked pretty intimidating.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol! These look a little more tame... I remember being impressed whenever I saw someone riding one. I never got the opportunity... they've always looked pretty intimidating.
Yeah I remember doing a face plant or two. That thing was violent. you would start to come up and you would keep going up. you would either lean back more and land on the back of your head. Lean forward and land on your face. It was difficult to balance while sitting.

me (not me but a lot like my runs)

not me

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone do fiberglass work? Ive found a few website for the materials, but if someone has a good supplier to suggest post it up.
@KXCam22 makes his own surf boards, he would have some answers.

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My foil kit a arrived today. Now I just need the glassing supplies
Nice! It'll be interesting to see how it performs. Keep us posted.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just heard from my friend at R7 Watersports they're in the process of setting up their profile and organizing the details a group buy. Sounds like it will be a situation where the more who purchase the steeper the discount. It may include other products as well. I'm not sure the details yet... I hope to soon.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I added a poll just to help them get a count and determine the level of interest.

thefastz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just heard from my friend at R7 Watersports they're in the process of setting up their profile and organizing the details a group buy. Sounds like it will be a situation where the more who purchase the steeper the discount. It may include other products as well. I'm not sure the details yet... I hope to soon.
Awesome, I am about ready to pull the trigger now! Any idea of timing by chance (weeks, month, ect)?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome, I am about ready to pull the trigger now! Any idea of timing by chance (weeks, month, ect)?
I'm hoping they post in the next week, I don't know for sure how long they'll want to run the sell. What would your suggestion be for a reasonable duration?