• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake surf newbie

Cbass953

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looking to get the family into surfing. Just wondering if yamaha’s wakebooster is the best way to go or is there another option. I should consider. Really enjoying the 242x so far tons of room, compared to our old 25 outlaw. Thanks

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just remember that these Yamaha boats can be surf-able, but they are not surf boats by nature. It takes time, practice, and patience to figure out what combination of speed, ballast, surf board, and wake shaper works for you - in particular your skill, boat, typical passengers, and lake depth. The link above from Anmut is very good to show what I'm talking about.

That said, these forums are filled with useful tips and experience to get you going. Since you appear to have a 24 foot, I'll flag @J-RAD for his experience with a similar setup so that he can chime in. He's also a great source for equipment, I can highly recommend his company from my personal experience!

Someone recently posted this YouTube beginner's tips video, and I highly recommend it. Lots of good information in there. Very good for both the surfers and the drivers to watch it.

One last thing - don't rush to drop the rope. While it's an amazing feeling, you need to be solid on the basic skills otherwise you'll likely fall out of the wave and have to re-start. I personally had to remind myself about that early on, and now I often keep it in my rearward hand just in case I need it to keep the ride going longer.

Last edited:

SandfleaDDH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
wakebooster with 750lb bag in the locker, 350 lb bag on the swim deck moved over to the wave side and you will have a tall ropeless surf-able wave. I've seen a LOT of discussion and opinion and options presented here... but I didn't find it all that difficult. Bought the kit, used some bags I already had from years ago, and we were up and running immediately.

edit: I am in a 2018 242 SE for what that's worth.

Cbass953

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips. I think I will just try the wake booster package for now to see. How it goes. I have wakeboarded years ago. Just think surfing would be a little easier on my shoulders.
Do you still think I will need the bag for the swim platform or will the stock 242x ballast be enough?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips. I think I will just try the wake booster package for now to see. How it goes. I have wakeboarded years ago. Just think surfing would be a little easier on my shoulders.
Do you still think I will need the bag for the swim platform or will the stock 242x ballast be enough?
Get the transom bag - you'll want that additional weight on the surf side transom to create a big wave. Depending on your size and skill, the onboard ballast might be able to get you ropeless, but your pocket will be small and not that fun.

Btw, I really like surfing - but it's just not as much of a rush as wakeboarding! I highly recommend you pick up a board and get back into it - stay at 18mph and don't get inverted and you'll be fine. Also, it's a lot less setup time - hang the rope and strap on the board!

SandfleaDDH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My guess is the stock ballast with the booster will get you going. Have fun!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
At 2:30 he mentions how to figure out what foot is forward . I think something is wrong with that unless that’s why they call it goofy . I’m right handed kick a soccer ball with my right foot but wakeboard wake surf and snowboard with my right foot forward . The test I use is to have someone stand still then gently push them forward from there back what ever foot goes forward is the foot that rides forward

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Btw, I really like surfing - but it's just not as much of a rush as wakeboarding! I highly recommend you pick up a board and get back into it - stay at 18mph and don't get inverted and you'll be fine. Also, it's a lot less setup time - hang the rope and strap on the board!
completely agree wakeboarding is really fun another thing to try is use a long rope and ride the wake surf board at 14mph . I have two boards the doomswell Neo has long skegs about 5” and it tracks amazing . The slingshot has 2” skegs and it’s harder to ride over the wake it gets loose I think you can buy longer skegs . Talk about quick set up no ballast throw the rope jump in and surf no bindings to deal with . We carry three wakeboards for the different size feet and board size . The Neo fits everyone

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
At 2:30 he mentions how to figure out what foot is forward . I think something is wrong with that unless that’s why they call it goofy . I’m right handed kick a soccer ball with my right foot but wakeboard wake surf and snowboard with my right foot forward . The test I use is to have someone stand still then gently push them forward from there back what ever foot goes forward is the foot that rides forward
Sounds like you might be a special case! Everybody in my family unit is right handed, shoots a soccer ball with the right foot and surf regular.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the tag @gallobg! Sorry I'm late with my reply. @Cbass953 to add my opinion your original question of, is the WakeBooster the best way to go or is there another option. In my opinion the WakeBooster seems fine. In terms of generating a surfable wave with stock ballast I would say that it is the best option. However, the stock wave is modest and doesn't leave much room to play and many still struggle to go ropeless.

What is arguably the best setup for our 24ft boats is the use of the Gantlin Products Wake Wedge in combination with their custom designed swim deck ballast bag and your stock ballast. Many who have tried both have concluded that the results of both devices with the added ballast are better and greatly improves the size of the wave. Although, the wake wedge wave had noticeably more push and it is adjustable. Here's my latest set with the wedge and 2,250lbs of ballast behind my AR240.

As @gallobg and @ctyke mentioned, I have a side hustle as a watersports dealer. We actually carry Slingshot boards, including the same Coaster that's a part of the with the Wakebooster package, minus the Yamaha branding. If you haven't purchased your WakeBooster package with the board I can make you a great price on one. Let me know and I'll shoot you a DM with a discount code.

Last edited:

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We do it a little bit differently on my boat. We have them stand on the back of the boat and put there hands together and point there fingers like a gun towards something on the lake shore, just as they focus we give them a shove into the water. Whichever foot goes first is what foot they put first on the board. Usually gets a lot of laughs from those that know whats coming :) and it is very effective.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We do it a little bit differently on my boat. We have them stand on the back of the boat and put there hands together and point there fingers like a gun towards something on the lake shore, just as they focus we give them a shove into the water. Whichever foot goes first is what foot they put first on the board. Usually gets a lot of laughs from those that know whats coming :) and it is very effective.
I had to do this tonight and it worked like a charm.

SandfleaDDH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used to teach kids to snowboard. I'd have them run down the hallway and slide in their socks. Boom. Done. They will naturally slide regular or goofy.

chattanooga

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am new to wakesurfing ... bought a 242x this year. I purchased the Yamaha wakebooster kit, loaded the ballasts to 100:100:50, installed the wakebooster and had a surfable wave immediately. We only have the one board and anyone under 180 lbs has been able to surf no rope no problem. I am 240 lbs and the wave (or board) is not large enough for me to surf for long without rope. We also typically have at least two other people in the boat and I typically put them in rear on surf side. If I have 3, move one to front surf side. The wave is decently tall with a good, smooth lip that rolls. However, the wave is not extremely long (not deep pocket) and that's where I think lots more weight would help. I set speed to 10.5 mph and seems to work well. A couple of tips: 1) find smooth water, especially when learning 2) find fairly deep water, at least 15 ft 3) if you are in a river or current, take that speed into account when setting speed (if going down stream in 2 mph current, set speed to 12.5 mph) 4) when starting, have the surfer to the side of the boat so jet thrust does not hit them when getting up.

In summary, with the 242x and Wakebooster kit you should be able to start surfing immediately (assuming surfer under 200 lbs). From there, additional weight and kit can help fine tune for better performance - but that is a never ending endeavor I imagine.

Regards.

Cbass953

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice. I borrowed a friends board we had 8 people in the boat. We were able to surf without having the booster but like everyone has said I need to get one to smooth out the wake. Thanks again for all the input.

Stacey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm glad I found this thread. I have been attempting to wake surf for 2 years. I have a 212x and in this photo I have a wake booster. Ballast at 50/100/100. I just have the board that came with the weight booster kit. I can not go without a rope. Is my wake enough? Do I need a bigger board for my weight? (220). Should I add another ballast on the Surfside? I have been wakeboarding for 15 years so I'm so bummed I'm having difficulty surfing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Your on your way and look great!
I fill both factory ballast bags on my 212x and a Fatsac Custom Transom Bag https://wakewedge.surf/shop/ols/products/fatsac-custom-yamaha-transom-ballast-bag (make sure to strap top and bottom of bag, its fallen off twice..full) Center Floor Locker Fatsac usually half to 3/4 full and sometimes I don't even fill it. Gantlin Wake Wedge - Wake Wedge for Yamaha Jet Boats Ride steady GPS Speed control a must! 10.5 mph up to 12.5 mph varies. Best Ropeless board so far and I have 4 is the Hyperlite Landlock 5'9". A Tsunami Pump to fill the Fatsacs (the pump does not float)
Happy Surfing!

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Speed control is #1. I don’t know if your boat has GPS speed control, but in my opinion you absolutely need it with Yamaha. You will need to find a constant speed that works for you, your wave and your board. If you don’t have it, I recommend Hydrophase RideSteady. Single best upgrade I ever did.

#2 is to try another board. Personally I needed a very fast board to be able to drop the rope. I use the Slingshot Coaster 5’3”. I got it from @J-RAD here and highly recommend him!

It took me all summer long to dial it in but I finally dropped the rope with confidence this week on my AR195. I’m sure that if I can do it on a 19’, you can do it on a 212x!