• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Warming engine prior to oil change

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is it necessary to run water through the engine while warming it up at home prior to oil change? I was thinking that since the water's only function is to cool the motor, then I should be able to warm the engine without it by just running it for 2-3 minutes.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It takes longer to get the oil to temp. It’s best to warm on the hose for 8 to 10 min. You’ll be glad you did when you see that you are able to get most of old oil out.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no idea what it's like to warm it up on the hose, I did my oil change with the boat in the water. I felt like next time I do this, 5 minutes, at the most, is more than sufficient to warm it up. I can't remember how long I ran it, but it's in my oil change thread around here somewhere, and I felt I went too long - oil was warm enough that I felt the extraction hose on my oil pump was on the verge of collapsing from the warmth of it.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was asking myself this question when I did my first oil change. My mind was thinking, why am I cooling the engine, while my goal was to warm it up. And that same answer made the most sense, the wrong parts of the engine are getting too warm if you don't use the hose. The goal is to get all that oil up to temp.

So yes, use the hose, or leave in in the lake and do it on the water. You will get much more oil out warmed up. I did one change by only warming for a few seconds off hose, and got nowhere near enough oil out.

I'm doing mine on the lift this year. I can sit and idle it all I want, or go for a quick buzz to get it up to temp.

Good luck!

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Is it necessary to run water through the engine while warming it up at home prior to oil change? I was thinking that since the water's only function is to cool the motor, then I should be able to warm the engine without it by just running it for 2-3 minutes.
@Dthorpe .....the thing is that you want to warm your engine enough to get the oil HOT. That is the only way the oil will carry contaminants with it as you remove it. :cool:

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hmmm, I thought the primary reason to heat the oil was so that it would be runny enough to maximize drainage.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hmmm, I thought the primary reason to heat the oil was so that it would be runny enough to maximize drainage.
@Dthorpe .....respectfully, no. The primary reason is to put the contaminants into suspension so that they can be removed. This only happens when the oil is heated to normal operating temperature - HOT. Back in the day when running racing engines we would send the oil in for analysis. We experimented a bit just for fun.....oil not properly heated did not remove contaminants. As well, engines that are open loop cooling often run cooler so it is even more important to heat your oil HOT before removing it otherwise you are leaving too many contaminants behind, a waste of an oil change.....and even though Yamaha doesn't say to always change the oil filter too (the ONLY engine manufacturer I have ever read stating this) doing so is absolutely a no brainer! :cool:

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting. You don't think just running the engine and stirring things up is what puts the contaminants into suspension?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Interesting. You don't think just running the engine and stirring things up is what puts the contaminants into suspension?
@Dthorpe ....absolutely not. There are all sorts of contaminants, water vapor, gaseous fuel by-products etc. that only detach from internal parts at heat. You aren't totally wasting an oil change but nearly wasting it. Number one oil change rule (other than having a rag handy) is to heat your oil to hot. I believe yamaha warns that oil changes will involve HOT oil - which would be wise advice. I often reply knowing that new ideas come-up and nothing is ever "written in stone" but I believe changing oil HOT is written in stone. :)