• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water in Oil

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Jeff, I know you are the Salt water king. I know you give your ski's a workout, sound like all the things you are doing may be helping. Couple things.
1. how do you get the car wash soap into engine, would i use the same mixer salt a way uses, any particular brand you favor
2. I have not added any other zinc other than what is on jet, do you recommend adding one the to aluminum on the engine?
3. I have a battery disconnect that is always off when boat is not used, are you saying another just for negative
4. As for most other things you mention, I do that I use stabil and seafoam for injectors.

As you can see a pretty good size chunk was eaten away

Thanks for info and good to hear from you

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
yea you can use the same thing you have for salt away, I get the bottle of car wash soap in Walmart no particular brand.
I don't know if disconnecting the positive is the same , I would imagine if there is no current to the engine either way is fine.
Put zinc on the ride plates and on the pumps , any size or shape where it will fit easily and out of the way.
As for the hole I think your gasket may have failed and that started the process .

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok my latest dilema on the engine i install a little over a year ago, after I run for a couple hours I end up with some oil in bottom of boat under engine, i run my hands under there and dont get any on my hands around bottom of engine. today I reached really far under and was able to touch the starter, it seem to have oil all over it but did not explain why oil is running down the length of engine

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is that a SBT motor?

Time to call in a warranty claim?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sadly warranty is up on it by a month. It runs great. Purs at idle and screams wide open

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
May be worth a shot to call. You know, they have a reputation to uphold and this would be a great way to get some good PR!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@fairpilot , thank you for posting about your experience. I have an fx cruiser waverunner with the same engine as your boat and recently found water in the oil. Long story short, my mechanic (who I trust) tells me I may have just screwed up the flush routine or towed it too fast for too long without pinching off the cooling hose (I don't think so). This was a salt water ski for 4 years before I got it and when the engine mounts failed on me that was the suspected cause or at least the primary contributing factor. This post has me thinking that I may now have a bad exhaust manifold. I will pull the manifold if I have to I order to check it visually but I'm wondering if I have to in that I did a compression check last night, the first 3 cylinders came back at 180 psi and the 4th is at 170 to 175 psi.

Question: Would the results of a compression check be impacted by a bad exhaust manifold?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
None. The manifold has nothing to do with the compression. Compression is in cylinder with all valves to outside closed. Did you get oil out that had water in it.

And yes they alway wanna make it your fault. I orders my manifold off eBay. Just gotta search and try to find one away from ocean states. I saw one a couple days ago that looked brand New almost for $90. Yamaha probably. Wants 500. Let me know what you find

Keith Andoos

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
WOW! I too just discovered water in the oil of the port engine. I boat in salt water but faithfully flush every time after use. Its a 2006 SX 230 HO. Oddly enough, I had a new steering cable installed last year and the dealer said that he had yet to see a better running boat, even a new one! Also weird, there is salt build-up on the numbers 1 and 2 plug, on the upper part, 3 and 4 are clean. Very strange.
Being unemployed, this will all have to wait until next year. I did change the oil and filter twice and fogged both motors, of course. It will go to the dealer in the Spring, although I have some doubt as he said that the compression had to be checked first.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pull the manifold or tell dealer to do it. And inspect it very good. Compression has nothing to do with it. Not sure I would let it sit all winter. Was it salt water that leaked into it? I'm sure you read my post about my experience just trying to avoid you going thru that. As for the plugs this is where I think you will find the issue with manifold. Small hole or corroded thru the water jacket in manifold Scroll back and look at pics in this post..Now I can't say that this is 100% the problem but it's a likely starting place.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
WOW! I too just discovered water in the oil of the port engine. I boat in salt water but faithfully flush every time after use. Its a 2006 SX 230 HO. Oddly enough, I had a new steering cable installed last year and the dealer said that he had yet to see a better running boat, even a new one! Also weird, there is salt build-up on the numbers 1 and 2 plug, on the upper part, 3 and 4 are clean. Very strange.
Being unemployed, this will all have to wait until next year. I did change the oil and filter twice and fogged both motors, of course. It will go to the dealer in the Spring, although I have some doubt as he said that the compression had to be checked first.
That sucks. Are you sure you didn't make any mistakes like running the water with the engine off? Hopefully it's not something catastrophic.

Hope your employment situation turns around too. Maybe you want to post a topic in the off topic section about the type of work your looking for. I've seen people get great jobs by chance that way. We have members all over that do all sorts of stuff.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok my latest dilema on the engine i install a little over a year ago, after I run for a couple hours I end up with some oil in bottom of boat under engine, i run my hands under there and dont get any on my hands around bottom of engine. today I reached really far under and was able to touch the starter, it seem to have oil all over it but did not explain why oil is running down the length of engine
What was the final solution on this?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The oil was coming from a bent valve cover, (yea i thought no way too when they told me that) mechanic said you gotta be really careful putting it on and tightening bolts that hold it or you will warp it, new one installed and no leaks. I could not find any oil leaking from it though before i changed it.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@fairpilot I'm just curious, how many hours were on the engine that had the leaking manifold before you replaced it?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
About 380 hrs

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
very interesting and good leanings. Thanks for sharing.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
i see you're all winterized. in spring, run the engines hooked to a hose and look for leaks: i had a pinhole in one of the cooling lines above the manifold that was spraying a super-fine stream directly into the airbox inlet. it sucked through the intakes and got into the case oil. i did a full change with the drain bolt, filled up with cheap oil and SeaFoam plus a fresh filter, ran it to operating temps and fully drained again. refilled with synthetic and new filter.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:( Sorry to hear this...

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man sounds exactly whay i had. What is the dealer saying needs changed. You cam get a used manifold for about 100 on ebay. Is engine shot?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I still believe my issue was caused by the salt a way. I used it every time and sometimes left it in the engine thinking I was doing something good, I believe it reacts with the aluminum if it is not completely washed out. Salt a way instructions say to remove build up leave in engine for a period of time (dont remember what it was) the rinse. I assumed leaving in the engine for extended periods would be ok. This is my theory no proof. Anyhow I am curious to hear what dealer told you about engine. How long before boat went to dealer did water sit in engine? I am assuming it was salt water