• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Well...... SH*T - spark plug fail

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you still have the top of the broken plug? It has a hole in it. Could it be used as a drill guide. Harbor Freight has left hand drill bits.

tpa joe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My issue is how do I get a drill bit down the hole to even start drilling?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Shot in the dark here...EZ outs are extremely hard. You might be able to hammer on it a bit to chip the porcelain down.

Get a piece of pipe or tubing (maybe 1 inside the other) smaller than the hole in the head to help hold the EZ out where you need it centered on the porcelain and give it a few whacks. Vacuum it out with a tube on a shop vac to get the porcelain shards & dust out before you fully remove the plug.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Milwaukee and a few others make probing bits that are about a foot long. Typically in the 1/4" range and can be found at lowes, home depot and other hardware stores.

The JB link in the first response from 14SX190 i think had his set up for the extractor.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking the picture of the spark plug in the first post of that other thread on this issue - his broke in what looks like the exact same spot and the porcelain stayed intact and pulled right out of the threaded area. Based on that it seems like nothing is really holding your porcelain in place very strongly. Maybe hit it with something softer first or try to turn a screw or very small ez out to get the porcelain loose and you may be able to pull it out.
It shouldn't fall into the cylinder if the ground strap on the plug is intact.

tpa joe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The real issue I’m struggling with -

how do I get an EZ out down the tube ?

Looper7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The real issue I’m struggling with -

how do I get an EZ out down the tube ?
You could also get a tap socket they aren't very expensive and I think harbor freight has them

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ronnie says remove valve cover. That gets you closer, but also exposes cams and timing chain so you do not want to drop anything. That is what I would do. Just cover things with rags in case. This is a time of patience.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Mar28_64.JPG
Mar28_62.JPG

Here is a picture I took of the parts I put together a few years ago that I actually used to remove a broken plug , the ezout had a square end so I adapted an extension to fit on the back, then I used a socket and a breaker bar with another socket and a long hex nut to connect the two sockets, They usually unscrew very easily.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
This is the set up Cobra Jet Steering LLC posted previously

or you could by an a longer extension. Most autoparts and hardware stores carry them up to about 18" in length.

tpa joe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stuck Spark Plug Update -

Complete failure !

Finally got all the appropriate tools in for the project. I was able to grind down the porcelain from stuck spark plug to make room for the extractor tool. Got the extractor tool in place and everything seemed to be going well then BOOM the tool snaps in half leaving it broken in the spark plug hole.

Im back to square on this issue. Im pretty much over this project already.

Attachments

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most times when the extractor breaks like that it's not too hard to get out if you can get needlenose pliers on it to reverse it out. Have you been soaking it with penatrant?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You may have to grind flat the broken extractor and drill it out. As @Babin Farms advises, keep soaking it with penetrant. When you get the broken extractor removed, I suggest giving the center of the broken plug a few taps to help loosen it. I would use a left hand threaded drill bit to continue. The heat from the turning bit might just cause it to grab and spin out the broken plug. And keep vacuuming!

tpa joe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The extractor is extremely tight so I’m probably not going to get a good bite on it. I’ve had it soaking in penetrating fluid for over a week. About over it. Might be easier to buy a remanufactured head from SBT since they are 12 min away from me.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It will NOT be easier. If you can grind the extractor flat and start to drill it out, it will spin right out. Then you can continue removing the old plug.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stuck Spark Plug Update -

Complete failure !

Finally got all the appropriate tools in for the project. I was able to grind down the porcelain from stuck spark plug to make room for the extractor tool. Got the extractor tool in place and everything seemed to be going well then BOOM the tool snaps in half leaving it broken in the spark plug hole.

Im back to square on this issue. Im pretty much over this project already.
Same damn thing happened to me.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The extractor is extremely tight so I’m probably not going to get a good bite on it. I’ve had it soaking in penetrating fluid for over a week. About over it. Might be easier to buy a remanufactured head from SBT since they are 12 min away from me.
Don't give up. I do this type of stuff it seems daily. Simple task turns out to be a major PITA. Sometimes you just have to walk away and regroup, settle down and come back to it later. You'll get it, you've gotten farther than most would even try. I have faith in you 👍

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's darkest right before dawn, don't despair. Rest and regroup.