• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Well...... SH*T - spark plug fail

tpa joe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3 outta 4 plugs came out nice. The 4th snapped in half leaving the bottom & threads inside the head....... shit !

not sure what to do now.

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do a search here - this is not uncommon.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

tpa joe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I don’t have any good option for drilling out the porcelain center of the spark plug. The porcelain is higher then the metal thus doesn’t allow me to get a good bite on the metal to extract. This is enclerdably unfortunate.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would start by spraying the spark plug tunnel with something like PB Blaster. I know this will probably not get you far, but I think the plug was never tightened. Therefore, combustion gases were escaping around it to cause that dirty appearance. That also caused it to seize in place. At the start, it may have been loose. By soaking the threads in a penitrant, it may start to loosen. Be optimistic!

Robo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ck around ford had issues with there plugs breaking and there are some removal tools that may work in your case

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Time to pull the head.......with those deep sockets there is no room to work on the removal properly.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a spark plug fail on me last year. The only way to get to it was to remove the head, about 8 to 12 bolts and 2 or 3 hoses connected to it. It was easy and only took a few minutes to do. I recommend that you do so in an enclosed environment to reduce the chances that wind will blow any debris into the engine.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pull the head with the exhaust manifold still attached. I recall that easier than unbolting the exhaust right at the head.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think I used the wrong terminology in my last response. I did not pull the head off my 1.8l engine. I pulled the valve cover which exposed the valve rockers, springs and top of the timing chain. Doing so allowed me better access to the part of the plug that was still stuck in the engine.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Heat can make a great difference with stuck fasteners. PB Blaster and some heat from a heat gun might release it with an extractor. If all else fails, might need to pull the head as suggested by others. Best of Luck!

xtrm1stang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got mine out with an EZ out, it was tight the whole way, waiting for m10x1.0 tap to check threads, but much easier than pulling the head!

tpa joe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got mine out with an EZ out, it was tight the whole way, waiting for m10x1.0 tap to check threads, but much easier than pulling the head!

Are you worried about shavings / threads getting into the cylinder?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you can and should vacuum really well after the fact to collect any debris. I would not worry greatly myself, just vacuum.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you can and should vacuum really well after the fact to collect any debris. I would not worry greatly myself, just vacuum.
Add oil in there and vac it out

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't tell you how many posts there have been on the Facebook page where folks question changing the plugs every year...well this is one reason for MR1s. I see it's Iridium which has no benefit except longevity, which really doesn't matter when you at least are required to pull and inspect, and if you are going to do that just use the cr9eb's and put new ones in every year. Also don't over tighten. Hindsight is always 20/20.... :p Good luck.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I have not had this issue with a boat but did have it with my wife's old ford expedition. Used PB blaster, filled the port several times, and a heat gun set to high after three days of cycling the treatment a couple times a day I then used an extractor. The first day the PB Blaster just sat in the hole and slowly evaporated, then on day two i think it had cleared some of the corrosion away because it wasn't staying as long. After it came out I then used a 1/4" hose attached to the shop vac and an oil can to clean the cylinder. It was dirty but no metal. Good luck.

tpa joe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have taken on this boat project for a good friends that remembers having an issue with this stubborn spark plug years ago. My issue now is the spark plugs porcelain is higher then the surrounding metal. I don't see any way of chipping it away to make way for an easy out.

This sucks.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Long tip needle nose pliers. you can get a pair at any good hardware store. They even make a vise grip style that will clamp and lock on to the smallest tags and the expensive ones don't let go.