• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

well that was a short camping trip

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Great weather this weekend so we wanted to go sandbar camping on Wisconsin river. Got to the crude ramp I use and water was a little high so current was very strong, when I launched it pushed the empty trailer down stream, no problem. Found a nice sand bar and set up. Mid afternoon a fisherman stops and tells me the campground/canoe livery downstream is putting out the word that the dam at Lake Wisconsin is going to release a lot of water sat. night,30000 cfm up from the then current 12500. Spent a few hrs. enjoying the day,grilled some brats, then noticed some canoes that had set up up river leaving. They get down by us and one paddles over and tells me they got a text from the livery they rented from there was indeed high water coming.So tear camp down and 5miles back to ramp just about dark. Loading was a trick,current was picking up so I went in shallow so the trailer would stay put. Gotta love jets with the ability to use reverse ,had to come in very hot because of the current but after several aborted attempts made it. Guys behind me with a prop were impressed, they had a worse time. Never saw the current that bad there, standing less than knee deep at the winch it wanted to knock me over. To top it of I got pulled over for speeding on the way home, must have looked pitiful enough he let me off.But it was a great day[ flow this morning was 25600, made the right choice]

Bill

That's a bummer. At least they were good about spreading the word before releasing all that water. I wish they could send some of it on over here. We sure could use it!!!

That must have been some current to push your trailer down stream @Bilmon. Would that dam release have covered the sandbar?

That's a scary thought, and potentially very dangerous. It seems like they should have some type of formal notification system, or better way to get the word out than word of mouth. If those people hadn't bothered to tell you, what could of happened?

I guess if they had not told him he would of had some wet brats!! Glad you got off the water safely and didn't get a ticket on the way home.:winkingthumbsup"

Yep, sand bar was maybe 2ft high, would have been an interesting night.River always fluctuates but usually only inches though I have seen it jump or fall a foot or so. Couple of my brothers had their sandbar go under one night, quite an experience to hear them tell it. I've found canoes that floated away from people that didn't secure them, thats gotta be a bad feeling when you crawl out in the morning. Also got up to find my boat nearly beached. It's all great fun.:D

Bill

That's a scary thought, and potentially very dangerous. It seems like they should have some type of formal notification system, or better way to get the word out than word of mouth. If those people hadn't bothered to tell you, what could of happened?
you can monitor the dam online but it really doesn't give anything but current flow I did know there was higher water upstream but didn't expect it so soon or so much, I usually just monitor the level. Been camping on that river for almost 50 yrs and thats the first tie I've seen that situation.

Bill

Yea you get a report like this , " THE DAM WATER IS CURRENTLY FLOWING"

That must have been some current to push your trailer down stream @Bilmon. Would that dam release have covered the sandbar?
That ramp is in a bad spot,the current hits the bank just upstream and really boils across the ramp.Not to bad most of the time but the water was up just enough to really boost it. What got me was being less than knee deep and having to be careful of my footing.
Bill

Back