• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What are your thoughts on replacing Yamaha's fancy hose clamps with typical stainless hose clamps?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I remember reading that the factory hose clamps are some sort of constant tension type.

I need to replace a few and am thinking of using screw tightened hose clamps for ease of purchase and ease of installation.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I always replace them and back them up with a heavy zip tie.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For what fittings?

All of the hull and general water fittings I’ve seen on my boat are traditional screw clamps. Maybe there are some of the clip on kind on the engine but I haven’t had to mess with those. I haven’t seen any spring-loaded constant tension clamps but maybe I’ve missed them.

I think factories use the clip kind for speed of installation vs any specific tensioning properties. Just don’t overtighten.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have come to prefer the T-style hose clamps when I've needed to replace or add anything. They seem to result in less of a "stranglehold" on a hose, while still doing exactly what they're supposed to. The slots in a typical hose clamp always seem to have the hose bulging through them, or at the very least, right there at the surface. The T-style wrap around the hose completely, without the slots, and I feel their performance is at least slightly better than the typical screw clamp style.

Here's a clickable link to an example of the T-style clamps

If I don't happen to have one in the proper size, I'll use a screw clamp until I can order a T-style, but I swap it out as soon as I can order the proper size. At this point, I've got a decent collection of sizes, and I bought a few assorted size kits to fill in with 2-5 of the sizes I haven't come across yet at this point.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Replacing the clamps was one of the things I needed to address after buying our boat. I was uncertain what direction to go, use the OEM style due to the constant tension design, replace with SS clamps or something else. Someone here recommended McMaster-Carr, and I have attached a copy of the invoice for the assortment of sizes I purchased. This was more than adequate for replacing every clamp within the engine compartment with twin MR1s (with the exception of the exhaust clamps, which are much larger).

Since these clamps weren’t stainless steel, I purchased from KBS Coatings, their Rust Seal sampler kit, which is a cleaner, etcher, and sealing paint system. Treated the clamps and had them installed. I have also treated the clamps with CorrissionX HD at the beginning of each season, as 3 seasons in, all is well.

Just sharing as alternative to sticking with the OEM style, but adding a layer of rust protection.

MCMASTER-CARR
IMG_0747.jpeg

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
During a Coast Guard inspection on a previous boat, a discussion about double clamping fuel lines came up...
  • Hose connections used in the fuel tank vent system or the fuel distribution and return line system shall have at least one corrosion resistant metallic clamp with a minimum nominal band width (see table below).

Napa's hose clamps are garbage, some parts stores have higher quality hose clamps behind the counter.

Breeze aerospace would be top quality.