• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you tow your 190 with?

onuxi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The Jeep/Yammie combination looks freakishly awesome! Great color scheme on both. i see your comment about the lift/tire size/ & bags... is the motor stock? Auto/Manual? What gear ratio? How does it pull and stop the boat? I have a full size silverado that is used as the family Truckster and it's what we pull the boat with also. It's getting up there in miles and i seriously debating on a couple year old wrangler. Little concerned about pulling the boat. I read that the only difference between the USA's rubicon 3,500lb and Europe's 4,500lb rating is a larger break kit. Of course i understand it wouldn't be a speedster on the highway, but that's not why you would buy a jeep in the first place. I have had 6 CJ jeeps but the newest was an 1980... spending the amount of money it would take for a couple year old 4 door makes me sweat just thinking about it. :)
It's a stock 3.6 pentastar auto with the max tow package. 3.73 gears. Pulls good, we can run the speed limit up and down interstate hills with no issues(70 on I-75). You can feel the weight behind you when when running 35's. This is our 2nd jeep, first one(not pictured) was totaled in a accident. Same setup, but stock 3.21 gears. That was a bit sluggish pulling with the same 35's. I do have a set of 4.88 for the original jeep; just glad I didn't put them on before the accident. The wife wants 37's now cause everyone around here has 35's so it's only a matter of time till the 4.88's go on.

but.... We ended up purchasing a new Z71, and boy does that pull like a dream... We don't yank the boat around with the jeep anymore, it's definitely capable though. Bigger brakes might be worth it; I know Mopar makes a big brake kit, maybe something could be found cheaper though.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
15 Z71 with the 6.2 sometimes I forget I am even towing the boat!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure I've replied to this thread before.......Not sure how I missed it. Anywho, thought I would share.

Current setup:
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3/6spd......Tows the boat like it's almost not there. Easily the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. It's as luxurious as my old Audi, and feels like I'm driving a swiss army knife. Need to tow this car trailer with tractor on it, OK, Need to pickup clients at the airport, OK, need to drive through that field to that jobsite over there, OK. It just seems to do everything pretty well.
Sierra-AR190.jpg

Previous setup:
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS 6.0L/4spd.....Had enough chassis and TONS of power (400hp/400ft-lb LS2), but couldn't keep the damn thing cool. I suspect it had engine problems from the previous owner. Only had it about 16mo before trading into the Sierra. It was damn fun to drive though. 4.10 gears, and a short 1st gear with full time AWD made it an absolute blast to about 120mph or so. Surprised a number of folks on highway merging/passing attempts :D......ran a 14.010@99 in the 1/4 100% stock. Love the look of it too once it was lowered with some tinted windows.
TBSS-AR190.jpg

Wifes Ride:
2010 Chevy Traverse 3.6L/6spd. We've towed with this one a few times. Would probably be OK as a regular tow vehicle, IF the timing chain tensioner wasn't shot. It's a $2500 fix and I'm not sure we like the vehicle that much. Doesn't pose a problem to the engine in terms of breakage, but the cam phasers won't operate properly, and subsequently it's down on power. Even when it was working properly, it's barely enough power for 7 people, 2 coolers, full fuel, and 90+ deg temps. Trying to talk her into a new Durango R/T for the next ride, but I'm not sure that will happen.
Traverse-AR190.jpg

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
New car for the wife.. I happen to point out that we can tow the boat with it if needed.. wife says “you bet”.... I’m a lucky man..;)50B42584-B857-443D-B01E-259E9AC81137.jpeg

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Haven't towed the boat with her yet, but I don't foresee any issues20180508_202440.jpg

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
E381BA5D-659E-4F6D-9C18-A2A6D670BEC3.jpeg

2017 2.7L Ecoboost F150 XLT Sport
My last truck was a 5.0 F150 and I went with the 2.7 this time for the MPG bump and it still has 375 ft lb of torque.

The backup camera alone was worth the upgrade.

My wife’s 2016 Explorer also has no problem pulling the boat when we have guests.

Dave Rogoza

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thought you guys would get a kick outta mine... Ok, so it's not exactly the primary tow vehicle (I wouldn't dare try this at highway speeds) , but it does the job launching and loading while I keep the boat on the trailer at the marina.

Attachments

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thought you guys would get a kick outta mine... Ok, so it's not exactly the primary tow vehicle (I wouldn't dare try this at highway speeds) , but it does the job launching and loading while I keep the boat on the trailer at the marina.
I thought it was bad behind a RAV4. :winkingthumbsup"

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2017 V8 4Runner......aka Lexus GX460. Did a great job towing the old boat and new boat back from the dealer and the 2 mile trips to the marina. Planning to tow to a different lake this weekend and will be on the highway for about 40 mins. I was hoping to tow without the cover but am worried about seats flying out. Any of you guys have issues with that?

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I pull my 212X with either my Pathfinder or my Titan.

Attachments

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
2017 V8 4Runner......aka Lexus GX460. Did a great job towing the old boat and new boat back from the dealer and the 2 mile trips to the marina. Planning to tow to a different lake this weekend and will be on the highway for about 40 mins. I was hoping to tow without the cover but am worried about seats flying out. Any of you guys have issues with that?
Yeah people have lost cushions, also a cover may save your window from flying stones...

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I’m still disappointed they don’t offer the V8 in the 4Runner.

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
8359976B-D3A2-4DA4-B749-E391C8A52D06.jpeg

So I had to turn in my Ram 1500 on end of lease. Have not replaced it yet because I like the new ones just not a fan of first model years. Towing with our Toyota Highlander for now. Huge difference from the truck but that’s expected. It gets the job done and actually is not that bad. Wouldn’t go any bigger than a 19ft and if towing everyday I would try a pair of SumoSprings on the back end.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m still disappointed they don’t offer the V8 in the 4Runner.
Me too. Further than that though, there is really no reason Toyota doesn't just sell the GX as the 4Runner instead of a Lexus with an ugly front end. The GX is the "Landcruiser Prado" in the rest of the world and is really stout underneath. Despite the ugly front end, it is an overall very nice vehicle and tows very well for having a shortish wheelbase. It tows way better than the 3rd gen Tacoma it replaced.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
FFCBD3F0-E24F-48B6-8A6D-D241221BB11D.jpeg
2017 F150. 2nd Generation 3.5 Ecoboost with the 10 speed.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Me too. Further than that though, there is really no reason Toyota doesn't just sell the GX as the 4Runner instead of a Lexus with an ugly front end. The GX is the "Landcruiser Prado" in the rest of the world and is really stout underneath. Despite the ugly front end, it is an overall very nice vehicle and tows very well for having a shortish wheelbase. It tows way better than the 3rd gen Tacoma it replaced.
Yep. I saw one of those new Landcruisers on a trip to EU and it had me scratching my head, didn't really know what to think. Is it really the end of big LCs? It looks to be it.
A shot of one of those new LC Prado on a street in Poland, it had me turning my head thinking "why do these people put a Toyota logo on a Lexus?", lol.
upload_2018-6-21_23-55-56.png
upload_2018-6-21_23-57-4.png

In the meantime, we have (somewhat reluctantly) snatched one of the last big LC ones here (in the US), still a good ol "monotrim" monster. Aside from its rather stodgy styling it is a very impressive vehicle... so far.

BTW - we used to pull our old 190 with a new 4runner ltd w/4l V6, which does very well.

--