• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What should I get....

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know this has been asked a ton of times but it is something each person has to see their vantage at. As you know I have a 2014 AR192 and do love the boat but this weekend I found its weak points for me and my family. I am into watersports, tubing and surfing mostly, wanting to learn wake boarding in the future. For 80% of my use, the AR192 is perfect however this weekend when all of my family decided they wanted to go, including friends the boat quickly reached its limits. As for room we had plenty, sure a little more would be nice but it really is a very roomy boat for a 19' where I found its limitations was when we had 5 in the cockpit and 3 on a super mable, it had all it could do to get to 20mph and I was at WOT watching the fuel gauge literally move every minute. When it is just me and the GF and 2 others the boat does really well, add any more than that and it shows its weakness. Now if my kids weren't all grown I think that would be a different story as well so it has me pondering a new boat. Looking for most power and ability I am looking at the 212X but my local dealer has a '14 242LS and he will sell at a huge discount (this boat also has the galvanized trailer which would be handy if I decide to go to the Bahamas next year) but I am torn as I would have to spend money on ballast etc. I do have my Ronix 800# ballast I can keep or let go with the 192 if it sweetens the deal along with my wake racks etc. If I get the 212X I won't need the wake racks but will need new forks to hold the surf boards... I am at a loss for which direction to go. I know all of these boats have a limitation in weight and the 242LS and 212X have the exact same power plants making the X a bit faster due to lighter packaged weight, but the LS has lots of added amenities... This part sucks! Help me decided please.

Last edited:
I would defiantly without a question go with the 242. To do what you are wanting to do with the boat you are going to be spending money on ballast bags anyways because the 212X isn't really setup for surfing. Yes it works but bigger bags are needed. Might as well have the best of both worlds. We can get a wicked surf wake out of that 242 with 1600 lbs ballast. That plus all the room for extra family friends when you need it is well worth it.

I'd recommend you find someone local with an X, have them load up the ballast and go for a ride with them. That'll give you an idea of how much wake you'll be starting with. Without seeing how it'll do, you're just going to get a lot of opinions that reinforce why their boat is the best model, or whichever one they wish they had.

I'd recommend you find someone local with an X, have them load up the ballast and go for a ride with them. That'll give you an idea of how much wake you'll be starting with. Without seeing how it'll do, you're just going to get a lot of opinions that reinforce why their boat is the best model, or whichever one they wish they had.

This is what we do, You can consider mine an opinion but it is a VERY educated one......I have seen wakes from all of the boats in the Yamaha line up almost all years. I know exactly what you are going to get with any given weight any given boat. If you want to surf @Englewoodcowboy , which I think is a big goal in mind, you will spend 1k getting a 212X up to par to surf where you want it to. You will spend around the same amount on a 242 and have a better system because you will properly vent the ballast bags and be able to monitor if it is full or empty.

@jcyamaharider what does it take to make the 242 surf-able? I am assuming I will need the wake wedge for both boats regardless for a clean wake... What would I need for ballast? Could I use my 800# Ronix I already have surf side? Does the 242 need more?

@jcyamaharider That wasn't personal, I just thought it was funny that the first two replies are almost exact opposites. I forgot that wakes are your thing, or I would have deferred.
Oh I know....I didn't mean for it to come off like that. Kind of a busy day at work and didn't have time to proof read. :banghead:

@jcyamaharider what does it take to make the 242 surf-able? I am assuming I will need the wake wedge for both boats regardless for a clean wake... What would I need for ballast? Could I use my 800# Ronix I already have surf side? Does the 242 need more?
Yes you will need a wake wedge for both boats and yes the ronix bag is a perfect bag for your new setup either way you go. Here is one of our customers with a 242. 800 on the seat and 800 on the swim deck.

11046681_10204388058124925_2851151228156143193_n.jpg

With rider on it for size reference. This was his first time out and didn't know mechanics. After some advice for the next weekend out he was ropeless.

20894_10204389686765640_2804380454532902056_n.jpg

This may not be a popular response, but if wake sports are your thing, you should at least consider a v-drive. For basically the same money as a 242 you can get into an Axis T22, a MB b52 21 or a Moomba. I am a big yamaha fan but these wakeboats should not be overlooked. My buddy has a t22. It freaking rocks for surfing and wakeboarding.

I will say the 212x rocks, but the 242 will definitely offer you more room.
How much of a discount are we talking?

And I have to agree with @OrangeTJ - if watersports was my main concern - I'd be leaning towards a Moomba Mojo.

For your situation not needing the extra room of the 24 I would actually go with the 212X. Those are IMO the best looking boats Yamaha makes. When I made my choice it was between a 2015 212X, 2014 242 LS, and my current 2015 AR240. I wanted the extra room and paid more for the newer model. My main reason for the new 240 over the 2014 242LS was based on looks. I personally think the towers on the 2010-2014 242LS is hideous. Had they not had 2015 240s I would have gone with the 212X. 212X is a lot more sporty and more fun to drive because of it. In your position I would only go 242 if you need the space.

I really appreciate all of the help and tips. The 242 he had is on consignment and no trades are taken on that one which is not a big issue as I will try to sell outright before trading it in but it all comes down to timing. He is locating a black 212X to work numbers as well as the 242 LS he has. I told him I have the YES warranty and would like it on the next, just a piece of mind while I am making payments if anything major should arrive in the first 5 years I don't want to have to pony up for it. Ultimately it will come down to price and what my bank says, they have not given me OTD numbers yet so I can't even call my bank at the moment.... I like both boats I am looking at but if it comes down to trading outright the 212X will win the battle with this particular dealer. I am still searching around within reason, I mean I drove 300+ miles each way to get my current boat I could do it again for the next but that has its value as well right now...

Onto the waterspouts side, that is my personal want but it is not the primary intended use. I still want to fish, relax etc. and I have owned inboard boats my whole life and not a fan of the gear hanging low in rock covered lakes and trying to fish out of them, that was one of the reasons I looked at the Yamaha's in the first place was versatility and water sports, primarily surfing is just for me for fun. That family definitely loves the Super Mable over everything else.

I found the limitations of my AR192 this weekend as well. Even though I JUST BOUGHT IT!!! Oh well. Maybe in a few years Ill trade up. Couldnt afford the 21fts or bigger. I love the jet drive but I agree with @OrangeTJ. After this weekend, it has be reconsidering a "true" Wakeboard boat.

They are down to 54,499 on the 2014 242LS and not giving me much on my 192 which I expected it to be low but not so low that I lose all of my equity I put into the boat. I am searching other dealers but for shits and giggles I submitted the info to my bank to see if they will approve me for 60K and what I would be looking at payment wise. Depending on what they come back at may push me into the 212X but I will have to see. I am not entirely sold on the 242 but if it is a good deal then I cannot pass it... Any thoughts on the 242 LS numbers?

Edit: it turns out he does have a brand new 242LS, he also has a used one he is asking the same price but it is on consignment... go figure.

We love our 212x but could not get any larger doe to restrictions on our lake. I think in the long run you will always be glad you have more room. I would go for the 242 ls them mod it to be the perfect boat for you.

I think for that price you should be looking at a 2015 AR240. Will be less money and you get all the 2015 upgrades. list on the new AR is $53499.00 and you can usually get them to throw in a lot of extras for that price. I good dealer will add the ballast bags for you!

Last edited:
I gotta agree on the 2015 AR240 if you're looking at spending that money. The noise reduction alone would push me in that direction!

Back