• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What tires to get ugh!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen several threads on this subject and after doing someo other research online I more confussed then when I started. Bias-Ply or Radial ST? West Marines web site seems to favor the bias ply and boat us web site seems to favor the radial and this seems to be the theme all the sites I looked at had a different preference. The only fact I really got from all the sites is the bias-ply is stronger and the radial rides better. My main concern is a blow out which will best prevent this best with proper inflation? I'm taking cost out of this equation for now just really would like to know from your guy's experience which is the preferred and maybe some reasons why you prefer it?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Radials have less rolling restistence. I have never heard anyone suggest bias over radial.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everyone here seems to suggest radials. I replaced mine this past season and went with Goodyear Marathon's. I know another popular choice is the Maxxis trailer tire, but I am sure there are many other good choices. It is a consensus that the tires that come with the factory trailer are garbage and should be replaced sooner rather than later.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Radials all day. Ordering a fresh set myself come spring. Quieter, smoother, rolls easier. Observe proper load rating and monitor pressure and you'll never have an issue.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If I remember correctly the bias allows you to corner better. Ever have a trailer that kinda skids around a tight corner? Then better with bias. I corner pretty tight into my garage and watching the flex on a radial makes me squemish. Have only had the original tires and only replaced one so far. Getting a second replaced this winter and have a new spare.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here was West Marines review it is a little contradictory in its wording.

Radial or bias ply tires?
Radial tires have plies that run perpendicularly across the tire and belts (often made of steel) running below the tread around the tire’s circumference. Bias ply tires have their plies running at 30° angles (like the stripes on a candy cane). Most motorists believe radials are better (and they are for your auto). Should you buy them for your trailer?

The answer depends on your trailer’s handling. Bias ply tires have stiffer sidewalls, so if your rig tends to sway, they may help reduce this problem. They also have advantages for carrying heavy loads. Radials, as most of us know, are vastly superior for tread wear. They’ll last an average of 40,000 miles vs. 12,000 for bias plies. However, oxidation, not tread wear, wears out trailer tires. Radial tires are also less prone to developing flat spots on one side when they are parked in the same position for weeks at a time, and tend to run cooler on long trips. Bottom line: consider your trailer’s handling and the manufacturer’s recommended tire type. If you travel long distances and/or put lots of miles on your tires every year, radials are worth the extra cost.

Each of your trailer’s tires should be the same type, size, and construction—do not mix bias-belted and radial tires. In selecting tires for your trailer, buy the size, type, and load range found on the trailer’s certification label or in the owner’s manual. Keep in mind that tires have a load rating that indicates the amount of weight they can carry safely. That includes toys, Igloo coolers and camping gear. Overloading can lead to a large heat buildup, causing accelerated wear or a blowout.

The Wanderer2

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just replaced the original tires before coming to Florida in October with Goodyear Marathon's. I have been pulling boats back and forth between Florida and Michigan for several years and have had good luck with Goodyear tires. The original tires that came with the boat made the round trip three times. Also, a trip to Table Rock, Lake Lanier, and the U.P. before I replaced them.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone ever use the Kendra Load Star tires? I use them on my jet ski trailer and like them but after looking at the trailer tire the low price (under $150 per tire including the rim) makes me a little nervous about them.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am coming up on the same decision shortly. From the research I have done so far, it seems to depend upon what your primary towing profile is. If you mostly do short trips (as I do), then the bias ply is probably best. It has the highest weight rating and takes the corners on your short trip the best. If you do long distance trips with some frequency, then the radials will be better, providing a smother ride on the freeways, but less handling ability on the curves. Of course, you will get a tire weight-rated to your boat & trailer in any event--just a matter of how high quality a tire you need to get to get there (ply vs. radial).

So, there is my 2 cents. Any opinions to the contrary would be appreciated, of course.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok at @tdonoughue may have put it best which brings up my real question I probably should have started with. What is the absolute best tire you can buy for the trailer regardless of price whether it be bias or radial brand and model or is it all preference?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My trailer had bias tires when I bought it and I could not push it around inside my garage. After switching to radial tires I can move the boat around in the garage by myself.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm replacing my originals this winter. My trip to the river and back is 50 miles, done about ten times a season. With the limited input herein, sounds like I should lean towards bias. Odd, that I always thought radials were simply a better tire for a car and they are. But not for a trailer? And where should I purchase a set of 4?

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm replacing my originals this winter. My trip to the river and back is 50 miles, done about ten times a season. With the limited input herein, sounds like I should lean towards bias. Odd, that I always thought radials were simply a better tire for a car and they are. But not for a trailer? And where should I purchase a set of 4?
You might want to wait for more feedback or search some previous results. This topic has been discussed many time and it seems as thought the overwhelming opinion is that radials are the way to go. I have no dog in the fight other than I know a lot of people have had blowouts with the originals tires and this is obviously a safety risk as well as potential damage to your trailer/boat.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My original bias ply tires lasted about two seasons with several trips of mostly highway travel. I happened to notice one of the tires prior to heading back home, with a 2.5 hour road trip, there was a chunk of tread missing so I changed it prior to hitting the road. I ordered a set of Maxxis radials and had them installed the following week and they lasted five seasons till one blew coming home on another road trip. In the process of coming apart it tore up the fender and broke the taillight. I got that fixed in the off-season and ordered new radials. I decided to switch to the Kuhmo 857 radials that are a high speed rated trailer radial that were about $150 each. They are a beefy looking tire that appeared to be well built. Well, that theory flew out the window in the later part of this past season when I had two blowouts on the way home in one afternoon/evening. These tires didn't make it through two short seasons. Needless to say was ticked! My tire dealer gave me replacement value for the two blowouts and prorated the other two tires. Fortunately the damage to the fender was minor and I was able to fix it to my liking. The blowouts were on the same side. I contribute all these blowouts to primarily heat. Both the air temp and road temp along with speed and crapy road conditions. The air temp on the day of this event was 105 and I was traveling in the late afternoon when the road surface was probably in the 120 range. My boat was loaded with the normal gear and 3\4 tank of gas so the load was within the capacity of the tires. The Kuhmo 857's were actually a D load rated tire with a max inflation of 65psi. I have now switched back to Maxxis and to driving no faster then 65, especially on poorly maintained roads. What this all boils down to is keep your speed in check, especially in high heat, and maintain proper air pressure and you should be fine with whichever tire you go with.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see a lot of tandem axle trailers being towed too low in the front which will cause the front axle tire treads to wear considerably faster and even blow out due to heat buildup.

So, double check your (everyone reading this) trailer for a level frame when towing.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kumho's sucked on my car a few years ago so stay away from them for any type use!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kumho's sucked on my car a few years ago so stay away from them for any type use!
Now you tell me! Those were my first and probably last set of Kumho's for anything. If these Maxxis give me any trouble I'm done with trailer tires on the boat trailer. I'll have to get bigger rims, but I'd switch to LT tires.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This may be an unpopular answer but I had my local tire shop install Greenball Tow Master tires at the beginning of summer 2013. I use these guys for all of our vehicles and simply trusted them when they said they like the tires. The tires and installation came in a little under $400.

Since then we have towed to Biloxi (900 miles), Fort Lauderdale twice (2,500 miles x 2), Shelbyville (1,100 miles), Lake Murray (550 miles) and lots and lots of local launches. Certainly over 8,000 miles over the three summers. Those that know me also know that I can't tow 65 so lots of those miles are at 75 to 85. Especially the Bimini runs. We were running behind on the 2014 tow and towed over 900 miles one day.

The tires still look great. I would guess that 85% of the tread is remaining. So I am really happy with these cheap Chinese tires towing at speeds beyond their rating.