• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wheel and tire change ..

LakeRidgeBoating

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks in advance. The forum is an asking resource and I appreciate you all.

So I'm going to be towing my new to ar192 about 9 hours to the south next month. I've decided to put new tires (radials) on it. Everyone on here seems to be happy with the good years so probably do that.

My question is can I move to a 15" wheel on my shorlander single axel trailer without rubbing ? For some reason going to a little bigger wheel and tire appeals to me. Thanks.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks in advance. The forum is an asking resource and I appreciate you all.

So I'm going to be towing my new to ar192 about 9 hours to the south next month. I've decided to put new tires (radials) on it. Everyone on here seems to be happy with the good years so probably do that.

My question is can I move to a 15" wheel on my shorlander single axel trailer without rubbing ? For some reason going to a little bigger wheel and tire appeals to me. Thanks.
Do you store the boat in a garage with a standard size garage door? If so you would probably have a hard time fitting it in with bigger wheels

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
As long as you keep the overall diameter of the assembly the same You should be fine. I work at a tire shop and have a fitment calculator. Off for the long weekend otherwise would tell you the correct size.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Off the top of my head...If stock is 205/75x14, the OD of the tire/rim asm. is approx. 26.1". I calculate that with the aspect ratio. The equasions are 205×.75=153.75. Take 153.75mm÷25.4mm/in=6.05in. Then 6.05×2=12.10in. So 12.1 inches of sidewall plus 14 inches of rim equals 26.1in OD.

Other sizes approx. OD.

195/75x15=26.5in

205/70x15=26.29in

195/70x15=25.74in

205/75x15=27.1in

Based on the equasions and wanting to keep the aspect ratio of a trailer tire as high as possible, I would say, unless someone has a better formula/calculator that 205/70x15 would be the closest match. I don't have a fitment calculator, It is how I learned tire sizing nearly 40 years ago. You probably should not go too much bigger due to rubbing on fenders.

Last edited:

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you moving to 15” for looks? Functionally the sidewalls on 14”s work well to reduce jarring of your boat over the road. 15” rims with lower profile tires (to keep similar diameter) will be a rougher ride. The 14” trailer tire size is also very common. If you do go with an unconventional size, it may be hard to find a replacement if you have an enroute failure, so if you find sourcing that size locally a bit tricky, it may pose an issue in that circumstance.

justamon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just recently noticed that the fender's on my trailer are collapsing when I step on them, possibly due to the extreme heat here in Las Vegas. I'm now wondering if I should replace the fenders with a stronger set. Has anyone experienced this? I hope i'm not too far off the subject of this thread.

LakeRidgeBoating

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Are you moving to 15” for looks? Functionally the sidewalls on 14”s work well to reduce jarring of your boat over the road. 15” rims with lower profile tires (to keep similar diameter) will be a rougher ride. The 14” trailer tire size is also very common. If you do go with an unconventional size, it may be hard to find a replacement if you have an enroute failure, so if you find sourcing that size locally a bit tricky, it may pose an issue in that circumstance.

Thanks for all your imput. I decided to stick with the 14's and did the Goodyears. See how it goes. 9 hour tow in October.