• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hartland vs Goodyear endurance vs Carlisle, plus trailer tpms

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey folks,

I’m getting ready to replace my original bias ply tires with radials because I’m looking to do some longer distance towing. I’ve read tons of debate here and clearly you can’t go wrong with the goodyears.

Locally, for proper load index and ratings, I see $138 per tire for the Goodyears, $114 for the Carlisle radials, and $99 for the Hartland. All have 81 or better speed rating.

RV forums seem to love the Carlisle radials. Hartland tires are discount tire’s house brand and we all love discount tire here as much as we like the Goodyears. That said, I’m strongly considering going with the hartlands to save a little cash. If anyone has any experience, please share. If not I’ll report back over time.

Second, what trailer tpms systems have you added and had good experience with?

thanks!

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i can only vouch for goodyear endurance, i have it in my RVs and boats never let me down, havent had a flat tire in years. But i never had hartland or carlisle, they could be good too. Someone else will chime in.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Goodyear is probably the best available. Carlisle are absolutely awesome also. I have them on my RV. Most of the rest are knockoffs, with many of them coming off the same production lines, just branded differently. They are definitely lesser quality, but I won’t say they’re inferior. I sell both Carlisle and knockoffs (not Hartland specifically, but they’ll be similar). You’ll get more life from Goodyear and Carlisle. The off brands invariably wear out a little sooner. I’d recommend spending the extra $60 -75 (spare or no spare) for the Carlisle. You’ll get it back on the tire life, and peace of mind knowing you have good quality rubber back there. RV owners are a little extra sensitive to tire quality, because if a tire blows for them, it often tears up the fenders and skirting. Not likely to do much damage on a boat, but still a possibility. I’ve heard of it happening, but haven’t seen it.

Ultimately, would the extra $60 hurt your wallet that much? I’m a cheapskate on a lot of stuff, but after seeing (and experiencing) a lot of unfortunate things due to blow outs, I have gravitated more towards trusted rubber.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can only speak for the Goodyears. They come in the stock 14” size but they are also available in the D rating instead of C in case you want to increase the load bearing capacity without increasing the size of the tires and rims. I love mine so far but wish I would have upgraded to the 15” size.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After many years of experience, bad, running the made in china ST tires aka trailer tires I would not run anything else than goodyear tires. Goodyear is the only American made tire these days since acquiring Cooper tires in 2021.

If you have a blow out because of inferior tire manufacturing and it causes all kinds of damage to your trailer and boat you will be severely questioning yourself about saving $38 per tire. I put the Goodyear endurance on my trailer shortly after the oem bias ply tires all became out of round and can report that the Goodyear tires are silky smooth.

Put the best tires you can get on your trailer and don’t look back. And if you buy them at Discount get their road hazard insurance on the tires… if anything happens to the tires and they still have legal tread on them Discount will replace the tire, not pro rate it, replace it. I’ve benefitted from this on several occasions when I had flats due to things puncturing the tire outside of the repairable area.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Can only speak for the Goodyears. They come in the stock 14” size but they are also available in the D rating instead of C in case you want to increase the load bearing capacity with increasing the size of the tires and rims. I love mine so far but wish I would have upgraded to the 15” size.
Looking at wheels and tires as well as we are driving from GA to ME this summer. I would like to get fifteens, but then I would have to lower the tower in and or out of our storage unit every time we use it. Not a huge deal as we did that when we first got the boat, but it is sure nice not to have to. Probably going to stay with the 14's.
Priced a set of wheels and tire (endurance) X3 a couple of days ago, it's going to be almost $1K.

Last edited:

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Rather than rag all over Shorlandr for my OEM Bias Carlisle's, 2.5 sets worth and then another set of Bias from another mfr. that were wider and more stout which also went to crap and rather than rag on the "trailer company" that told me the trailer was "Crabbing" I'll give an atta-boy to the Specialty Tire folks at East Bay Tires in Waipahu...they said switch to radial. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I run the GY on all my trailers and usually go one rating up for load. (C’s get upgraded to D’s and D’s to E’s). I also run the biggest tire that will fit comfortably under the fenders. I NEVER want to change a tire on the side of the road and if I do I NEVER want it to be because I went cheap on a tire and exploded one from heat. It had better be a road hazard flat or I would be very disappointed.

I run dealership TPMS (GMC) and glass beads for balance in all of the trailers. Yes, I over engineer things and the admiral ribs me about it. You can do the TPMS and glass beads at home with simple tools and a small compressor and if you have any ATV’s I find this to be a great tool to have in the garage.

The TPMS screen on my center stack in the towing icon looks like this (2022 GMC 2500 Denali) it is showing my open Toy hauler trailer but the boat trailer looks much the same.

D8D9FBF7-D5CD-43DE-97FA-BBBBE80CE15C.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I run the GY on all my trailers and usually go one rating up for load. (C’s get upgraded to D’s and D’s to E’s). I also run the biggest tire that will fit comfortably under the fenders. I NEVER want to change a tire on the side of the road and if I do I NEVER want it to be because I went cheap on a tire and exploded one from heat. It had better be a road hazard flat or I would be very disappointed.

I run dealership TPMS (GMC) and glass beads for balance in all of the trailers. Yes, I over engineer things and the admiral ribs me about it. You can do the TPMS and glass beads at home with simple tools and a small compressor and if you have any ATV’s I find this to be a great tool to have in the garage.

The TPMS screen on my center stack in the towing icon looks like this (2022 GMC 2500 Denali) it is showing my open Toy hauler trailer but the boat trailer looks much the same.

View attachment 194000
Overkill is underrated.. having had to change several toy hauler tires on the side of the road I can second your comment. Especially the one that got wrapped around the backing plate Ever tried citing a tire off with a pair of dykes?

Once I went to Michelin XPS Rib tires never had another problem. In fact in the next go round I may just go with the Endurance tires on the toy hauler.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Overkill is underrated.. having had to change several toy hauler tires on the side of the road I can second your comment. Especially the one that got wrapped around the backing plate Ever tried citing a tire off with a pair of dykes?

Once I went to Michelin XPS Rib tires never had another problem. In fact in the next go round I may just go with the Endurance tires on the toy hauler.
Much like butchering an elk with a letter opener? 😁

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’ll never put a set of Carslile near one of my vehicles/trailers ever again, period. And these aren’t even the worst pics. They also had bubbles coming out of the edges and sidewall. Switched to Hercules radials an absolutely no poor wear or problems at all16A9FE27-155D-43F0-8F1E-205EB52C6C53.jpeg8C32FFFD-C90C-4961-9067-FDBB4F54873E.jpeg0F15EBCF-A2C3-457B-B150-B09AA405B6D4.jpegD7CA0DB4-1373-446C-816B-A5C0A57A46AB.jpegC55EF52B-79DA-45B8-828C-7222021FBEE6.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Goodyear endurance D rating. They are just fantastic and the pulling the boat is much smoother. Don't skimp on tires. Not the place to cut corners.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
From Michelins add in the late 80’s…”Because so much is riding on your tires”

Kinda like Bell Helmets add from years gone by…”if you‘ve got a $10 head then buy a $10 helmet”