• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Where to Mount Transducer on 2015?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone try to m0unt a fish finder / charterplotter transducer on the new 2015's? The best place now has the rudder?

A through hull might be the best option on the 2015s. If the stern mount transducer is relatively small it might work on either side of the paddle but won't be at the lowest point of the boat.

I too am curious about what people will do.

I don't like anything mounted on the middle area beside the transom drain plug. It is too close to the ladder and gets hit. The pre 2010 boats had room beside the pumps on the inner wall where the pump is mounted. Not so in post 2010 boats, they have a ride plate that is in the way, and least the 240/242 boats do. I just got through mounting another thru hull transducer mirror opposite the stock transducer. You can see it in my thread here.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/mounting-a-thru-hull-transducer.4477/

I cant take myself to cut a hole through a brand new boat. Holes in boat aint good. Just another reason for my wife to yell at me it something doesn't work 10 years down the road.

I cant take myself to cut a hole through a brand new boat. Holes in boat aint good. Just another reason for my wife to yell at me it something doesn't work 10 years down the road.
Yamaha got away from the transom mount transducers on the 24' boats, not sure about the 21's and 19's. They were inaccurate due to hitting them with things and turbulent water behind the boat. The most accurate, out of the way, least damaged will be a thru hull or shoot thru hull. But a shoot thru hull won't have accurate temperature readings. I know however, cutting holes in your boat takes practice before you don't think much about it. This is my second Yamaha since 2009. I cut holes for lots of things in my '08 230, the Nauti Dawg, and I am on a path to equal or pass that boat with the '12 240, Blue Yonder. This week, I drilled the hole and mounted the transducer below the waterline...that is a 2" hole! And I also drilled 2- 5"holes for the transom speakers. I have two more 5" holes to drill for the mid cabin speakers...and a 10" hole for the subwoofer! Not to mention a 3/4" hole for the power and transducer cable for the new Garmin 7" chart plotter, and 4 screw holes to mount it on the dash.

The only advice I can give regarding holes in the boat...measure 5 times! And in addition to that, make sure you do a professional job on whatever you install, because it will pay dividends later when you sell it to upgrade to a bigger boat. The worst depreciation you suffer is added crap that is added in a crappy way. Use tinned wire and do the work the way the pros do it. And when you ask questions here, and some say "you don't have to do that", don't believe them, they will pay for the shortcuts later. Post up your pics of the back and bottom of the boat. By the way, you could not have mounted a transducer to the aft transom where the rudder now is, the jet pump wash would have disturbed it tremendously I suspect, it will have to go off to one side on the transom. The more I think about it, inside the hull is sounding better and better! Good luck and keep us posted on how you solve it!

What are you like @txav8r your an animal cutting holes everywhere ;):D.

Any update on this? Picking up the new boat Friday and I can't seem to find a place for the transducer. The big problem is that it is a side scan transducer and needs to have a clear path to each side as well as down. Even a through hull mount would be blocked on one side by the center keel unless it was mounted in the front before the keel starts.

Mounted my transducer here. Did cut a hole to get cable connection and cable to head unit. I cut the hole above the water line and sealed with 3m 5200.

I can keep good depth reading/image to 30 mph. I was happy with that-not many options back there. I tried to get the transduer lower- but couldn't get a screw in. There must be some backer plate or bolt head in that area. So I had 1 bit break off and twisted head on 1 screw. Geez I never had such a hard time getting a screw in anything - just my luck. But happy overall. image.jpg

I am struggling with transducer mounting location. I have the humminbird 889si. Any advise with pictures would be appreciated.

Here is where I mounted my transducer and the head unit. Works great never lose the bottom or sidescan. I have to mount a 2nd transducer on the port side for the port sidescan signal. I used gorilla tape and tried it in a few spots at slow speed and couldn't get a clear sidescan to both sides. The reason I stuck with humminbird is that they allow you to use 2 transducers and a Y cable to get one signal from each. The starboard side transducer will supply all the other sonar signals as well as depth and water temp. The port side is just used for the port sidescan.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jackew @Nucem140 I think the issue he is having is where to locate the transducer because of the side imaging. The transducer needs to have a clear line of site 180 degrees to both sides of the boat. There doesn't seem to be any location that gives you that because of the rudder or water turbulence. Correct me if I'm wrong. There is also a through hull side imaging transducer but even that would be blocked by the center keel.

Last edited:
Oh- I guess I should have looked at the specs of the referenced unit.

Well a follow up on this. I mounted 2nd transducer on port side and sidescan now works great on both sides. Problem is that the transducers keep releasing from the break away mount and I think it's because of speed. I screwed them both down so they wouldn't release and they both broke this weekend. Luckily just the mounts broke. Going to try and mount them a little higher so they just barely skim the water on plane.

I haven't received the new mounts yet. I plan to relocate them on Monday

I'm struggling with putting holes in my boat. Any pictures and words of confidence would help.

I will have to look at my boat when I get home to see if there is a place for a thru-hull transducer. Cleaner look, and may accomplish all my goals with only one transducer and less holes in my boat. Any thoughts?

My first picture upload attempt, hope it works out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 2.22.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 2.22.03 PM.png
    107 KB · Views: 19
Through hull is definitely the way to go. If you are that worried about it, why not just pay a little more and have the dealer do it?

B.O.A.T
bust out another thousand

I don't see a good place for thru-hull on the 2015, the added keel is still the problem with that plan. I am just trying to make sure the hole/s are in the right place and necessary.

This is the unit. Large, I know, it was a gift and if I can make it work I would actually prefer the large display. I think this would be the best place to mount it, as I have explored other areas and none seem to be as good as this spot. This is dead space and it would allow both driver and passenger to view while underway. One of my concerns is what will I be drilling through? (besides fiberglass, for the smart ass's) When I look at the underneath side of this area it appears to be more of a box enclosure rather than a flat area. I wonder what may be hidden inside the apparent void. Anyone with a 240/242 2015 that can tell me what I may be drilling through would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0675.JPG

Back