• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which boat to buy?

Congratulations!! If you ever come east to Salt Fork, let me know!

Someone mentioned getting EZ Locks. I dont mind spending the 30-40, but want to make sure this product is still necessary on the 2015 models. I havent heard many others getting them, or maybe its just a given.

Shopping list that I have:
Full cockpit seadeck, eventually
MX770 slam pack, at some point, wife already said, "no, we dont need that"
4 fenders 6.5+ x 26, with rope
Jackets x8
Coast guard kit of some sort
General toolkit
leatherman

Probably start there on amazon and make sure i have it all by April, i hope to get out for some test drives around then. Any other necessities?

Oh, yes. There are a few threads on the outfit lists on here somewhere... But that takes effort. I would add:
- Duct tape
- CO2 fire extinguisher (for the engine fire port--not good to use chem through that--use chem everywhere else)
- double-braided dock lines (I think I started with 2 thick ones and 2 thin ones for backup)
- optional, but a box anchor, esp if you are on any sandy bottom
- more jackets. Boats attract friends. Make sure you get an XL, an XXL, child and youth sizes, too
- church key
- corkscrew
- box of white plastic kitchen trash bags (which you can hang with a little piece of velcro)
- paper towels
- AO soft sided cooler(s)
- some towable (tube) and a rope
- Marine Stabil
- Battery charger (Our friend Mikey would insist on a Minnkota, RIP).
- Fender Tenders (Google 'em-worth every penny)
- Fixed VHF radio (and antenna) w/MMSI number (number is free from Boats U.S.)
- an old iPod or similar to load with tunes that can just stay on the boat
- Keel Guard

And you should get the EZ Locks.

Congrats on the purchase and if I were purchasing a new Yamaha, the 2015 Limited S in gray would be my first choice as well. I purchased my boat (used with 50 hours) from @RiverValley as well and had a good experience. Unlike many other Yamaha boat dealers, they act like they actually want to sell boats. Amazing that you can buy from them, pay to have the boat shipped to your house and still come out way ahead of other local dealers.

It looks like others have the supplies spec'd out for you. Regarding storage, I have mine stored in a pole barn that is not heated. I am charged $350 for the season which I think is fair. Storing the baot inside means you don;t need to shrink wrap (or similar), you have less chance of vandalism, less chance of mold and it just keeps the boat in better shape. Many of us ont he forum are pretty anal about keeping the boats in nice shape....especially when they are new. Good luck. It's going to be a great summer for you and your family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How long will the factory shipping cover last? Should I plan on getting the Yamaha premium mooring cover? I see black ones on eBay for about 700.

You'll definitely want a mooring cover instead of the shipping cover. The gray or black ones are both good. I've had the gray and I just bought a black one off amazon for $600. Shop around and see if you can find a deal.

I highly recommend the Yamaha towing/storage cover as it'll work even if you keep your boat in an uncovered slip on the water. After a weekend in Shasta, there's a ton of wet gear (life jackets, lines, pull toys, towels, you name it). Once the boat is out of the water, all of that wet stuff is piled on the floor and then as soon as we're home it gets hung in the garage. With the cover, NOTHING is coming out of the boat going down the freeway. Without the cover, you'll have to put it in a storage bin and then all of the sudden you have a wet storage bin.

You can get a Yamaha towing cover from Yamaha Sports Plaza up in Portland, OR. They have the best prices I've seen on them. My first one lasted four seasons before it started to rip. note that I store my boat indoors from October-Memorial Day and then it's outside in the sun throughout the season. Now I use my newer cover for towing, but will continue to use the older cover at the lake (might as well let the sun continue eating away at it for another season or two.

I survived on the shipping cover for a few years before springing for the real cover. Now, I store in a shed year round (didn't cover it usually in there) and only towed a couple times a year. It did the trick, but the real one is a world of difference. Real fabric, easier to put on (has holes made to go over the cleats, so you basically start at the front and pop the cover on the cleats). Much nicer, much more secure towing.

I have a custom made sunbrella snap-on cover. I have been very happy with it. It is durable, keeps the boat dry and looks great. That said, it comes at an uplift in price. I would estimate $1000-1200.

I have a custom made sunbrella snap-on cover. I have been very happy with it. It is durable, keeps the boat dry and looks great. That said, it comes at an uplift in price. I would estimate $1000-1200.

I have one of those for my Hurricane deck boat. When the cover I have now fails it will be replaced by one of these also the quality is awesome and keeps the boats clean and dry way better then the Yamaha cover.

My 356 has a top and window curtains made from Sunbrella. It's light years better than any cover I've ever had on any of my boats. If I ever need one made, no doubt it's worth the extra money.

Oh, yes. There are a few threads on the outfit lists on here somewhere... But that takes effort. I would add:
- Duct tape
- CO2 fire extinguisher (for the engine fire port--not good to use chem through that--use chem everywhere else)
- double-braided dock lines (I think I started with 2 thick ones and 2 thin ones for backup)
- optional, but a box anchor, esp if you are on any sandy bottom
- more jackets. Boats attract friends. Make sure you get an XL, an XXL, child and youth sizes, too
- church key
- corkscrew
- box of white plastic kitchen trash bags (which you can hang with a little piece of velcro)
- paper towels
- AO soft sided cooler(s)
- some towable (tube) and a rope
- Marine Stabil
- Battery charger (Our friend Mikey would insist on a Minnkota, RIP).
- Fender Tenders (Google 'em-worth every penny)
- Fixed VHF radio (and antenna) w/MMSI number (number is free from Boats U.S.)
- an old iPod or similar to load with tunes that can just stay on the boat
- Keel Guard

And you should get the EZ Locks.
What's a church key?

Boat is being delivered after work...exciting even though its going into storage tomorrow until probably April. Or whenever the ice on the lake is gone.

Boat is being delivered after work...exciting even though its going into storage tomorrow until probably April. Or whenever the ice on the lake is gone.

ouch...glad I live in the south. Was out on a friends 36' Carver this weekend enjoying the spring-like weather.

You know, the roads are still open to the south... Jus sayin.

Not a great pic, but just got a chance to unwrap, check it out, blast some music and then wrapped it back up and dropped off at storage. Can't wait to get it out, Phil said early spring, so we'll see. In order to unwinterize it, I just need to engage the clean outs and rear drain plug. Do I want to make sure it's going to be above 32 for the remainder of the season? Hate for it to get 70, take it out and then 2 days later it's 40, but would that be ok?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
Just blow out any water by giving each engine a few short blasts of throttle before heading home and you'll be fine.

Back