• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which boat to buy?

Welcome to the forum. Like you, I originally intended to buy a I/O for my first boat and had my heart set on a Chaparral. The more research I did, I could not turn down the value proposition of the Yamaha. Not only in initial cost, but ongoing maintenance and winterization can't be beat. Almost as important, if you go Yamaha, this forum can easily help you troubleshoot and fix any problem that you have and your boat won;t spend time at the shop during the limited season. If I were in your shoes I would opt for a 2015 Limited S or 2015 AR240. If I were going for an I/O, I would choose a Bryant Calandra. What's most important is to get on the water in something. Best of luck.

If you think your kids might be skiing on it someday, it might make sense to get a tower now rather than to try to add one later. That was my rationale, as well as (being a new boater) being able to have something that the kids and I could use as hand holds to board/disembark (rather than a bimini top rod, which tends to give way...).

X3

I know a certain family from the Shelbyville Gathering that had a pretty new boat without a tower and after their son learned to wakeboard at Shelbyville on a towered boat, they ended up trading it in for a boat with a tower!

So let me ask this, I may end up buying a 2015 site unseen, can someone confirm the interior colors. From the brochure here: http://www.yamahaboats.com/brochures/BOAT_CATALOG_2015.pdf

Here is what i think i see
black exterior has white/gray accents.
suede exterior has cream/beige accents.
yacht blue exterior has ???.

All have the same brown helm/compartment areas?
@Nick Hughes , my 2015 blue AR240 has a white interior (gelcoat and seats). The seats are accented in charcoal. The helm console and dash are black. Although the cream might have a more expensive feel for some, I prefer the white interior because it feels sportier, and the cream reminded me too much of the 1980's cruisers that had "almond" as their gelcoat color. It's kind of like golden oak or honey oak trim in a house... some like it, some don't. I wasn't sure whether I'd want to add seat cushions to my swim platform, like on the Limited. Not having them works better for how I use the boat with lots of walking around on the swim deck. I envision seat cushions getting beat up by careless kids during water activities, because that's where they stage before getting into the water or into the boat. I thought that if I were lounging and wanted a softer seat, I could just sit on a life vest, but I haven't had a need for padding.

I prefer white over the 80s almond as well and is exactly why i asked. The AR definitely feels like a more sporty feel, which i considered. But in looking around, there are very few, if any 2015 ARs. And the 2016 AR is the same price as the 2015 LTDS.

Found a black 2015 AR240 for 48K. I'm thinking the AR240 might be "good enough" for a first time boater. Unless someone can sell me on a LTDS for $6k more. I hate leaving options on the table, but where does it stop??

I say that you should buy what you want. The last thing that you want is to regret your purchase. If you know what you are looking for, post it on this forum (a new post) and maybe someone might be interested in selling you their boat.

That seems like a good deal on an AR. The LS is nice, but I don't think anywhere near 6k nicer. You can add the seat cushions to the swim deck from jetboatpilot if you decide that's something you want.

Can you add the speakers to the swim deck as well? Turns out its a suede gray, not black. Is the AR interior on the gray that beige/almond that the LTDS is? Wish it there better pics somewhere, keep looking everywhere.

Can you add the speakers to the swim deck as well? Turns out its a suede gray, not black. Is the AR interior on the gray that beige/almond that the LTDS is? Wish it there better pics somewhere, keep looking everywhere.
I'm pretty sure that all 2015 AR240's have white gelcoat on the interior. If I recall, the suede gray one has the unique orange accent color to it. I don't mind it. It's different in a good way. Consider locating back-facing speakers on the tower if you want more sound to make its way to the back area. They'll be out of the way and not get blocked by bodies sitting on the swim platform (and will be less likely to get damaged). Also, the AR240 back cushions on the swim deck wrap around and cover the spot where the speakers are installed on the Limited.

@Nick Hughes I wouln't be too concerned about the swim deck speakers. I've got them and we never notice the music coming from them. We are adding exile tower surf speakers to add some volume.

So let me ask this, I may end up buying a 2015 site unseen, can someone confirm the interior colors. From the brochure here: http://www.yamahaboats.com/brochures/BOAT_CATALOG_2015.pdf

Here is what i think i see
black exterior has white/gray accents.
suede exterior has cream/beige accents.
yacht blue exterior has ???.

All have the same brown helm/compartment areas?

All 2015 Limited S have the same color interior, kinda a cream/white & beige interior.
20140819_200937.jpg 20140916_070207_Richtone(HDR).jpg 20140916_070232_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Found a black 2015 AR240 for 48K. I'm thinking the AR240 might be "good enough" for a first time boater. Unless someone can sell me on a LTDS for $6k more. I hate leaving options on the table, but where does it stop??

The limited S has this over the AR
- upgraded carpet
- upgraded 2 3/8" tower
- tower lighting & dock lights
- upgraded upholstery
- Swim deck cushions
- 6 polk speakers w/ tower tweeters
- shower
- seadeck
- upgraded handles
- upgraded steering wheel

In my opinion these options are at least 6k more. But whether or not these option matter to you will determine if the Limited S is worth the extra 6k for you.

X3

I know a certain family from the Shelbyville Gathering that had a pretty new boat without a tower and after their son learned to wakeboard at Shelbyville on a towered boat, they ended up trading it in for a boat with a tower!
Yea, I know that guy... :(

I looked at adding a tower to our boat but ended up trading for one with a factory tower for two reasons. One, I couldn't find a tower with a bimini that I liked the look of, and two, if you add a tower to a boat your stuck having custom covers made for it. I didn't want that expense or hassle.

Look at the options added and consider if its worth the money. To me it wasn't and thats about the same pricing I was getting quoted on a 15 AR240 and didn't see me getting $6000 more worth of enjoyment from the Limited but to each there own. i found a deal I couldnt pass up on a used SX240 but still may upgrade to a 15 AR240 before the summer I have not decided yet.

Well now I've come across a blue LTDS out the door for 55k. If the wife says yes it will probably be what I do.

Do it, do it, do it!

Nice! What year? How many hours?

Brand new, still with the factory wrap on it. 2015.

Back