• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which boat to buy?

Brand new, still with the factory wrap on it. 2015.
@Nick Hughes , that seems like a pretty fair price. In order to maximize your boating options, and to squeeze a bit out of the deal, see if you can get a galvanized trailer instead of the painted trailer. ... because ... one day... you will join the jetboaters group for a crossing to Bimini Bahamas, and a galvanized trailer is best for the salt water dip. It's only an 1100 mile tow to Ft. Lauderdale.

Stopped by the dealer and got to brass tax. Essentially 3 options:

242 limited e series: 61999
242 limited s: 61999
242 limited: 58999

The wake tower isn't all that important, but since they sell so many, no real working on price. All are not including $1995 freight and prep. And all would come with $1200 cover, $500 gift card to the shop (which we can use), and free storage for a year, which we can't use.

So not real happy with the pricing so far.
The dealers don't move much off the sticker not like other boats however I got them to kick in a lot of extras about 5000 worth. This is the best way to approach it and I also asked others on here and was told the same thing. Make sure the 5 year warranty is given to you that is one of the things we negotiated in as they ok nly wanted to warranty for a year and almost all brands give you five. Find accessories and options you like and tell the dealer you want them thrown in for free if they are not wiling to budge on the price. I got in the catalog at the dealership and gave them a list of what I wanted for free if I payed there price and they gave me everything I asked for. Good luck you will love these boats I had regular boats all my life til last year and I will stay with yamaha

Now that I see your location....Welcome from Coshocton!! Also, good luck with the local dealer. I have had no luck with them, although others seem to. There is a new(er) Yamaha dealer near Akron. You might try them too. I love the service department and will be taking my Moomba there if need be and had warranty work done on my Yamaha before selling. They were great! PM if you want!

I bought a 2015 demo 242 LS from a dealer that had 30 hours or so on it. Bought it toward the end of October and was lucky enough that the day I picked it up was beautiful and no wind!! If you can, I would advise to get a 2015 just due to the huge improvements they made on them. This boat handles amazing and the touch screen feature on the Connext system are sweet!! First boat for me, but did my homework and feel like I made a great decision. Good luck and happy boating!!

We are still struggling on deciding what to do. The only 2015 models that i can find are not drivable to and pictures online seem to show slightly different colors depending on the sunlight. We've seen both the AR and LTDS 2016 models in person. What it comes down to is that we like the extra ammenities on the LTDS, but we like the AR interior color better. Mainly because the AR is a more modern white with black/grey accents. And the LTDS has a cream based interior with beige accents/gelcoat.

Can someone confirm that the 2015s and 2016 have the exact same interior colors on both the AR and LTD and that all exterior colors of each model have the same interior colors? So there are only 2 interior color schemes, 1 for AR, 1 for LTDS. Appreciate the info on helping decide.

@Ziess21 Stewy...can you help confirming colors??

I'm a long time lurker, and finally just joined the site.

I have a Chap 2135 with Merc I/O. While most of the guys I chat with on the Chap forum have an obvious love affair with I/O's, I'm not one of them. A good friend of mine has a 2010 244 Limited, and while it doesn't ride as nice as my deep V, I have been very impressed with it. I want a low maintenance boat, and the boat I have is not low maintenance by any stretch of the imagination. My next boat will probably be a Chap Vortex or a Yamaha. I like the Yamaha power plants far better than the Rotax, but arguably it appears the Chaps handle better at slow speeds. Either way, I'm longing to get away from my I/O. In the past 8 years, I've spend $6500 in repairs from either hitting something with the I/O or on blown couplers and the like. Then this last summer I blew a 2nd coupler in two years, so for the third time in three years, I've had to pull the engine to make repairs. In the past I paid someone else to do the repairs, but this time I've decided to do them myself.

This winter, I've already invested just over $4,000 in parts alone (above and beyond the $6500 previously spent). I'll be going back in with a new motor (low compression, mostly valves, but one cylinder had some blow by), new bellows, new Gimbal ring, new alternator (old one was crapping out when the coupler blew) new freshwater impellor, fresh carb re-build. I had a dilemma when the coupler blew. My boats value is approx. $10,000. But that's in working condition. So I decided to make the repairs. I'm determined for this to be the last and final time the engine has to come out. So any and everything that is suspect is getting replaced. Consiquently, I'll now probably keep my boat a couple of years more, just to re-coup the new expenses. That said, a Jet boat is definitely in my future.

You asked about getting the rumble of the V-8. Sadly that won't happen with a jet boat. They turn too many RPM's to get that sound. There are three things I'll miss when I go with a jet boat. 1) the sound (I have captains call), my cabin (I haven't seen a Jetboat built as a cuddy), and the very smooth ride.

The things I'm looking forward to: No drive hanging in the water. Much lower maintenance since there is really only the motors that need maintenance. The ability to boat year round without having to worry about the next cold front freezing my motor. Twin engines, I've been towed in far too often (3 times in last 8 years). Adjility that only a jet boat can give you. Better allocated space. I almost can't wait to buy. I'm saving up now, because I want the 244 E with the surf setup, and it's stickered at $70,000. But I expect the next boat will last as long as my current boat and give me at least 20 years of service.

Welcome Duane652000. Unfortunately the money you will save in maintenance may be consumed by jetboat-moditis which has spread to most members of this community. I have not heard of any remedy or vaccination.

So we finally settled on the 2015 LTDS in grey. Should be delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday and then be promptly stored until later. So what do I need to buy first, 4 buoys, 12 life jackets and an anchor? Any suggestions for each?

Also, should I find some indoor storage for the rest of an Ohio winter or is outside ok?

Congratulations Nick. I would suggest you get EZ Locks for the clean out plugs before the season starts. I personally would pay the cost of storing under a roof. It does not need to be heated but keeping it dry will prevent any mold from growing in your beautiful boat. I have had the opportunity to pilot a friends 2015 242LS and know you are going to love it. Your family is going to have a memorable summer.

nice! Where did you buy from and what type of deal did you get? I plan to purchase later this year or early next (waiting for my 1 year old son to get a little older), so going to see what Yamaha does with the '17's. May be best to find leftover '16.

So we finally settled on the 2015 LTDS in grey. Should be delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday and then be promptly stored until later. So what do I need to buy first, 4 buoys, 12 life jackets and an anchor? Any suggestions for each?
Nick,

Congratulations! suggest grabbing the safety basics, anchor, fire extinguisher, air horn, whistle, distress flag things that you'll need to pass a safety check. I bought one of the suitcase style life jacket things in the zip pack to be legal. My kids and their pals are growing so if you have growing kids you might wanna wait cause they could outgrow what you buy come boating time.

If you haven't done the boating safety thing, suggest you go online, study up and take the test for your certification. You may not need it but I found it was a good way to pass the time in the winter.

Get your storage situation lined up for the season - it will be time soon enough!

Presume alumn creek will be home water? Welcome!

Also, should I find some indoor storage for the rest of an Ohio winter or is outside ok?
@Nick Hughes i can make a call for ya about 45 minutes away from bus up at Indian lake. @cbus and I store our boats in a great little indoor place.

Where are you planning on boating this summer? If your ever up at Indian hit me up.

Last edited:
I live about 10 minutes from alum creek, but Indian lake is where we'll go the most.

Thanks for the offer to store up there, but I'd like to keep it close, in case we want to do a few things before spring. I'll probably keep it at this outdoor spot for the remaining winter, been pretty tame so far and it's almost February. For the summer I'm on a wait list for a 10x25 spot about a mile from my house, since we plan to hit a lot of different lakes to see which we like.

Fully realizing this is a jet boat forum, I'm still asking as more than a few member will have come from a stern boat. Never owned a boat, want something to seat 8 for casual lake cruising, tubing, eventually skiing once the kids are older. Biggest lake we'd use would be Lake Erie to PIB. Came across the Yamaha 242 Limited today and really liked a lot about it, especially the swim deck and seats. I'd originally thought I'd get a prop boat and an older sea Ray seemed appropriate. So in the 50k range it's a 2015-2016 242 or a 2008 sea Ray 260 sun deck.

I'd LOVE to hear some opinions!
@Nick Hughes , check this posting out... maybe you should head north and get a deal on a 2015
https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-2015-yamaha-jet-boats.8217/

I've got mine being transported from River Valley in Minnesota as we speak.

Congrats on the purchase! You will love it. Is that a 10x25 inclosed storage unit? Mine is stored in a 11x30 and the sides are very tight. Also I am surprised 25' length is enough.

Trailer length is 23'9". 10 foot widths is all they have, boat is 8'9" I thought. Tight, but not much options.

Back