• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which GP1800 Waverunner should I buy?

Which Waverunner to buy, naturally aspirated or supercharged?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah the Devils are very convincing and persistent.

One strike for the supercharged gp, for me anyway, are the color options, black and green or blue and white.

I have a black and red 06 FX Cruiser now and would rather replace it with a black and red gp (think it would look better next to my wife’s fx) but the thought of not being able to compete with a super charged version or comparable seadoo still bugs me.
793C3479-2907-4CAD-AB27-940C355ADBB3.jpeg193451DE-6182-4F11-8B69-49AD55151766.jpeg

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm on the other side, the White and Blue is right up my alley. The decision would have been easier for me if the SVHO didn't have my favorite color combo vs the HO or VX. Still made the call with the Red HO. Already going to be paying Marina fuel prices to run the boat, and pump gas more than likely will be going back up this coming year. If the boat is a luxury item, this is just a big bonus to just be able to do it. Gotta keep it as reasonable as possible in my opinion for our situation. Going to have a blast regardless :winkingthumbsup"

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's final. The devil didn't win lolView attachment 140575
Congrats but please tell me more. I think you bought a gp 1800 but it has the same color scheme as my wife’s new fx ho. Moreover, if it’s a gp 1800 do you really notice the launch and turning control features? That is, do the improvements justify buying it over last year’s model? what was the out the door cost ski. I got a quote for nearly 1800 without trailer here in Ncal Which included a $2,300 dealer prep fee but excluded the trailer. Again congrats. I’m jealous / envious for two reasons, one you already bought one, two you are Probably already riding it and may be able to year round. Its been an unusually warm winter here but nobody is taking their PWCs to the water now. If I checked out a used one I’d expect to do a compression check and run it on a trailer not conduct a sea trial.

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats but please tell me more. I think you bought a gp 1800 but it has the same color scheme as my wife’s new fx ho. Moreover, if it’s a gp 1800 do you really notice the launch and turning control features? That is, do the improvements justify buying it over last year’s model? what was the out the door cost ski. I got a quote for nearly 1800 without trailer here in Ncal Which included a $2,300 dealer prep fee but excluded the trailer. Again congrats. I’m jealous / envious for two reasons, one you already bought one, two you are Probably already riding it and may be able to year round. Its been an unusually warm winter here but nobody is taking their PWCs to the water now. If I checked out a used one I’d expect to do a compression check and run it on a trailer not conduct a sea trial.
Thanks Ronnie,

I didn't realize how bad that pic is until i just looked. It is a 2021 GP1800 HO. I do not have a water report yet. Probably will be a bit before i can get it out schedule wise. Deal wise, prep fee was $495 and $1395 for the trailer. Msrp price, but the local high volume Yamaha dealer is not charging the outrageous prep fees i am seeing other places. We were $15,700 otd with the aluminum trailer so call it $14,2xx without for comparison. Without sound the base ski is $12,549. I am happy with the deal in this market. Hope that helps.

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Correction $425 freight and $199 prep fees.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Toby , thanks for responding. $14.2k for the ski and $15.7k with trailer OTD is a smoking good price. I’m going to a local dealership today to see if I can get better dealer prep pricing. I’m leaning heavily towards the NA version of the gp 1800 but if I could get your pricing I’d seriously reconsider getting the supercharged version and keeping octane booster onboard for the times I need to refuel on the water. You must have a lot of will power to postpone hitting the water for the first time on it. I would probably take the day off like I did when we bought my wife’s new Waverunner, we took it from the dealership straight to the water.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I made it to my local yamaha dealer and saw that they underpriced their two FXHO limited by $3k (that is, they listed them at $3k less than MSRP. I was seriously thinking about buying one on the spot but the salesman caught the error as he was looking at his inventory sheet.

they don’t have any gp 1800 na in stock. They also don’t expect to get anymore boats this year and don’t have any in stock. Finally they don’t negotiate any of the pricing on their pwcs, especially not during the pandemic.

First world problems.

E750E238-C601-445C-AEFD-3EF8A2CDEEF5.jpeg
116D38CE-D281-4D90-A7D8-A8F4D731899C.jpeg

Attachments

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's odd. Our dealer just had a ton of inventory drop, and still has deposits for 162ish units that should be filled. Wish you were on the east coast. They had quite a few (skis in general)available since they send multiples of the same model since they build them in trim cycles. I think it was just me and another waiting on the Red, so they had one out there for sale as well. Then vx's etc. How many dealers are in proximity to you?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just put a refundable deposit down on a black and red gp 1800 r (not super charged). It supposedly in transit and expected to be delivered within the next five weeks. Looking for a cover now, my power sports shop currently has 15 on back order.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did finally get out and break in the ski this weekend. I am good with the decision to go n/a. Thing is plenty fast (64 mph after 2 hrs) and gets there very quick. It definitely turns on a dime and rides well. I'm also glad to have the trim. Completely thrilled with the ski. I know it's been a little bit, but figured I would report back when I had real information for you.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did finally get out and break in the ski this weekend. I am good with the decision to go n/a. Thing is plenty fast (64 mph after 2 hrs) and gets there very quick. It definitely turns on a dime and rides well. I'm also glad to have the trim. Completely thrilled with the ski. I know it's been a little bit, but figured I would report back when I had real information for you.
Glad to hear it and thanks for the feedback.

I put a refundable deposit down on the NA GP 1800 last weekend. It’s supposedly on its way to the power sports shop now and expected to arrive sometime this month. I just sold my 2006 FX HO yesterday, so unless something tragic happens I will have the new ski by the end of this month.

Now I’m in the process of replacing all the bunk hardware on my ski trailer (about $300) and sourcing a cover, speakers (possibly the optional subwoofer that fits under the rear seat). Hoping to break the new ski in the day I pick it up. Assuming I can get someone to go with me and the water isn’t too cold, although I’m willing to buy wetsuits to address the latter problem if necessary.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
You may have read my thread last summer, but I had a 2008 SeaDoo RXT Supercharged (215HP) and sold it because of little kids. This time around I wanted N/A because it was engrained in me that S/C skis break and need to be babied (thank you, SeaDoo). I read mixed reviews on this with Yamaha, but either way I wanted N/A because of fuel cost, maintenance (again maybe not an issue with Yamaha but mixed reviews). In comparison, the VX Cruiser HO I bought is narrower and a lot more nimble than my SeaDoo was, but not quite as fast in a straight line. It's not just the top speed for me and frankly that is secondary, it's the acceleration moreso that impresses me. That said, for 99% of situations, the 1.8L N/A is plenty for me and fuel lasts pretty good too if you're just cruising around. If you're riding like an idiot or one of my nephews (who have put more hours on it than me thus far), the fuel bill can be surprising in comparison.

Quite frankly I don't think you can go wrong either way... Unless you mistakenly get on a S/C one and try to go back to your N/A. 😂

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well,

I like the HO so much, we have a deposit on another lol. Black/Red combination. Dealer has it, but is backed up on getting them ready for delivery. Should be within a week though. Two should make it easier to trailer to places the boat won't go from the marina is my thoughts. More fun to ride in a pair.

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Final report. Just did the 10 hr service on the Red one and it will clip 66-67 mph. The 2nd one will run 64 right at the 3 hr mark. They get there quick and we have had nothing but a blast so far. Hopefully you get yours soon. Take care.Resized_20210327_110517.jpegResized_20210327_110517.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Toby are they both gp1800hos or is the red/white one an FX.

My dealer has Two black and red gps with the $800 sound system (two enclosed speakers and amp and a remote), mine without Speakers is supposedto be delivered to them by the end of this week/

Tell me/us about the launch control and moreover turning assist. Does it work, better than any other ski you have ridden before? It would help if you could share your previous pwc experience.

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Both ar GP1800R HO's. I have ridden late model FX HO's but have little experience with pwcs. Not as much as most. We did the second Gp instead of a VX Ho because of the trim. Haven't used launch control but the auto trim is very cool. I run the slalom course at the lake and it makes a difference. Trims down entering corners and back up on straight up acceleration. Our dealer also only had ones with sound left. That is the only reason we got sound on this one.

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are....my mistake after a day on the lake lol