• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which Stoltz roller do you have?

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@txav8r

I bought mine at Phil Dill and my bow roller looks similiar to a Stoltz but is not soft and pliable like I suspect a Stoltz is. It stays out of round and like I said, leaves a rubbery residue on the bow more so than scratches, at least upon many in water quick inspections that's what it seems to be.

So, just for my own due diligence I'm changing it out anyway.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Kelso , your roller is a yellow/orange, not the dark orange like a Stolz? The stock roller is off white and it is horrible. I don't know about the roller that PD uses, I just know they change them to a yellow/orange that is also non marring, but any of them certainly can leave rub marks, even a Stolz if friction is too extreme. Some guys that have bought the Stolz say it was too tight between the mounting arms, so they have trimmed the roller on a chop saw to take an 1/8" off of each end of the center roller. I don't think that is a bad idea, because the less friction the better. The bending wings still turn pretty easy if you don't get the mounting bolt too tight. I may trim my center section even though it turns ok when it gets home. It wasn't free rolling, that is for sure. I think if your getting any rub marks, check the tightness of the roller and see if it will turn. It is almost like the broad shape of the bow of the new design bow doesn't fit any stock rollers. And if you don't get the bow snug, your going to get bunk rash on the bottom of the hull. If the roller that PD is replacing them with is still causing marring, they would want to know that, because they truly are trying to counter the issue by changing them. But from what I understand, they have not had any complaints on it since they started changing them. I don't know if the stock roller on the Shorelandr has been the same on all trailers since 2011, or if all models have the same roller. But they are certainly attempting to correct a delivery problem at PD and that is 100% dealer attention. It ends up in their costs, but any of us would pay $15 more for a better roller and not have to battle this.

I do think the composition of the roller that PD uses and the Stolz are the same, but the hardness of it may be a tad different...kind of like the different variations of HDPE that you can get.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The Stoltz bow roller at Overtons is $12.99 and the Ultimate is $39.99. The free shipping is on orders over $50.00 The catolog does not indicate the difference in the 2 rollers

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I may be mistakenly calling the stock roller a poly, when the Stolz is actually a Polyurethane. The stock roller is a hard plasticized roller. But the West Marine catalog claims that that the plasticized roller is softer than the polyurethane rollers. I don't know what the _ _ _ _ they are made of...but the black one on the MFI did not mar my previous boat, the white plastic one did on my new boat, and the Stolz so far does not mar.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The Stoltz bow roller at Overtons is $12.99 and the Ultimate is $39.99. The free shipping is on orders over $50.00 The catolog does not indicate the difference in the 2 rollers
As far as I can tell @Zarrella , the difference is that the Stolz bow roller is only the 4" center section of the Ulitmate, and doesn't come with the bolt, washers, or the two end roller wings. That is my take on it.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I'm the only guy in the world with the regular MFI roller for 6+ years.
Yeah, I was scratching my head over this one too. The roller on my trailer is fine and dandy. Very soft and frankly never has been a cause for concern.

After 11 years the trailer still looks pretty sharp and the only problems I've experienced have been one bunk dropping lag bolts and the left rear brake light going out.

I guess it's time to freshen it up, replace the boards and that light. Check/replace the brakes, fluid, replace the tires. Check the bearings....make sure they can withstand the 1.5 mile drive to the launch ramp. Maybe I'll even go buy a replacement cap for the guide post that's missing one.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Not all of the black rollers rollers are made out of rubber, they can be polyurethane like the Stoltz or, they can be made of PVC. That is why some people have not had an issue with the black ones. Some of the black ones are made as well as the Stoltz. Also, The difference between the regular and the Ulitmate is the regular does not have the center piece. The Ulitmate is a 3-piece unit.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

Stoltz Regular Roller Stoltz Ulitmate Roller

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
As far as I can tell @Zarrella , the difference is that the Stolz bow roller is only the 4" center section of the Ulitmate, and doesn't come with the bolt, washers, or the two end roller wings. That is my take on it.
Mel....you nailed it!! You are correct on the differences

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
yep, center section only on that regular.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think @Bruce noticed this in another thread, but I did go verify it just to be sure.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I'm the only guy in the world with the regular MFI roller for 6+ years.
Ha Ha... @scokill , your not alone! LOL, the old black bow roller that some complained about never marred my boat in all the years I had it.
The black roller on my MFI trailer has not scratched my boat either.
Yeah, I was scratching my head over this one too. The roller on my trailer is fine and dandy. Very soft and frankly never has been a cause for concern.
It sure sounds like the MFI roller on the older boats is just fine.

Mine was fine too. No issues. But I must confess, I did swap it out with a translucent yellow Stolz roller just because I thought it looked cooler! :cool:

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Mine was fine too. No issues. But I must confess, I did swap it out with a translucent yellow Stolz roller just because I thought it looked cooler! :cool:
My black roller on my MFI has left some plastic behind when I got into it a little too hard but it rubs right off...just like the plastic from my mailbox. ;)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The original roller on our 07 MFI trailer was hard as a rock and was pressed flat on the side that touched the boat. It wouldn't roll since it was smashed flat and wouldn't return to it's original shape. It did leave a bit of plastic residue on the bow, but it would rub off without much effort. So far the Ultimate Stoltz works perfectly.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Still have my original roller. No scratches and no skid marks.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just installed the 4" Stolz ultimate. I wanted the centre to spin so I trimmed about 1/8 off either side as suggested.

My bitch is that the wings DO NOT make contact when boat is winched in all the way... only the very tip of the bow rests on the centre section of the roller... I think the sx190 is a slightly different shape in the bow than the larger siblings.

If this is a problem ... I would have to take out a section of the centre roller ...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would leave it alone @beachbum . All you care about is that it is centered, the bow eye bolt is under and against the bow roller, and that your winch and transom straps are tight. After that, just go boating! The wings will help you when you come in off center and they will help to align you along with the bunks as you nudge up close to the roller with the eye.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r ... thanks... I don't want to work on this rubber thing anymore...

Boating is where I need to be right now.

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, @txav8r, we haven't changed it out. I'm in the same camp as you, if it ain't broke...the black on seems to be working just fine for us.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

That's the best reason yet...