• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why so few jet boats in Coastal Georgia?

Bob Rockefeller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Midway, GA and there are no end of costal rivers and barrier islands to explore with never having enter the ocean. I see no end of 18' - 21' boats with outboard motors, some with stern drives, but almost none with jet drives.

Is there something about jet boats that don't lend themselves well to such coastal waters?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Plenty of boats along the coast! I just wouldn't wet slip one in salt water. As long as they are flushed regularly no different than owning a PWC on the coast which there are hundreds of thousands of.

Here's the current member map along the east coast...

image.png

Bob Rockefeller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a cool map feature. But if I look at Coastal Georgia, the view is not as good. Do you live near inland coastal rivers?

Attachments

topdawg235

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Midway, GA and there are no end of costal rivers and barrier islands to explore with never having enter the ocean. I see no end of 18' - 21' boats with outboard motors, some with stern drives, but almost none with jet drives.

Is there something about jet boats that don't lend themselves well to such coastal waters?
Bob, I live in Savannah and just purchased a SX210. I know at least 3 others in Savannah that now have/use jet boats. I think part of it is the salt water aspect, and the other is there is just not a big dealer/precence here. I have had mine out a few times so far and we absolutely love it!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live on the SC coast so I boat in the same type of waters you do and just in the last year or so have I started seeing jet boats besides mine pop up in our waters. I think it has to do with a few things one our boats do not do well wet slipped on salt water so outboards are really popular in salt and brackish waters also our boats are known more as run abouts and water sports boats neither of which is real popular in our coastal area as most want a fishing boat or something that will double as a fishing boat and family cruiser most are not looking for water sports boats as honestly at least here our waters are not very good for it to many narrow channels rivers and estuaries to really do to much water sport wise.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think jet boats are just less common in general. At my marina on Lake Hickory there's a handful of other jet oats, but FAR more outboards. I know of at least 2 other jets on the lake, both seadoo 230 wakes, one is a few stall down from me in the drydock, the other is at the other marina on the lake.

I think it's just a dealer issue. The only dealer for jet boats near me is an hour away. On the other hand, we have several dealers for pontoons and other outboards kn town.

Ashler Bosew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went off Port Wentworth this past weekend and saw at least 4 in my way to downtown Savannah and then to Tybee.

Top Bottom