• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Will this truck tow my boat?

Oh yea...I remember driving a F150 (maybe F100?) with a 3 on the tree and a gutless straight 6 cylinder. Thanks for the memories @Shookie

Haha hey, I love the console shifter in my F150. The steering column shifter looks so 1970.

I concur they look cool (had one in my A4, TBSS, and my 318i).....But damn what a waste of space. The console in my Sierra is one of my favorite features. I can put ALL of the things in there. The front "cubby" will legitimately hold a gallon of milk! There are two supersize capable cup holders, and under the arm rest is large enough to put hanging file folders if I want, although I suppose that wouldn't really change with a console shifter.

Anywho, console shifters look neat but are a waste of space IMO. :D :D

On the Ford I have a button under the display that literally turns it off when you don’t need it. Not sure if the the other makers have that option but it could help at night.
You can do that with the Ram too.

I tried that when we had a Jeep as a rental awhile back. The physical button to turn the screen off it nice, however you loose access to some of the controls, and there is the "light shock" when you turn it back on. I preferred to keep it as dim as possible and just leave it on. It wasn't great but it was consistent.

That is still MILES ahead of the screen in my Sierra. It makes me SOOOO mad. The brightness is both too high, AND doesn't match the guage cluster. It's noticeably brighter than the cluster, and doesn't dim at the same rate. At full bright they are about the same, at full dim the center screen is a noticeable bit brighter than the cluster. Wildy infuriating. It does have an "off" button on the screen, however it's not a physical button, and it's literally 4 menus deep in the system, making it almost completely worthless.

The Sierras/Silverados had a bug in the software initially that would make the screen go "full bright" when the backup camera came on. Took 3 trips to the dealership to get them to acknowledge it was a problem, and me doing my own research to bring them the TSB that told them how to fix it. Took 10 minutes to fix with a software update, but still that kind of thing should've been caught in testing at the factory.

Speaking of software updates. I'm curious how Tesla does OTA software updates. I assume they have a cell/LTE card in each vehicle, and Tesla covers the cost to keep that active? Wonder what will happen when that technology get's outdated in a few years. My '03 Yukon had an OnStar radio in it that wasn't usable when I bought it in '08. The technology was no longer supported by any national cell carrier. I suspect 4G will last longer than the "edge" netowrk did, but it's obsolescence will come. What happens then?

Speaking of software updates. I'm curious how Tesla does OTA software updates. I assume they have a cell/LTE card in each vehicle, and Tesla covers the cost to keep that active?
The car updates thru WiFi not LTE. It needs that to transfer date faster.
I'm still waiting for my damn registration :mad: so I can sign up with Tesla and use my phone to control the car. :woot:

I'm still waiting for my damn registration :mad: so I can sign up with Tesla and use my phone to control the car. :woot:
Well that answers that question.

How do you control the car from your phone without an LTE card in it?

The Tundra towing the space shuttle was more impressive to me.

Space shuttle is around 10% the weight of the train loaded with trucks.

Actually the car prefers to update more frequently thru wifi, but it will definitely update via LTE at times, seen it happen personally multiple times. Got my Tesla Model S this year and can't ever see going back to an ICE. And the giant 17" screen with the lack of ugly buttons is just icing on the cake. Driving the Yukon Denali seems like riding a dinosaur now.

Well that answers that question.

How do you control the car from your phone without an LTE card in it?
The car comes with LTE. I don't exactly know how or who pays for it, but it's always there. I first have to register with Tesla to activate the app.

This guy on YouTube is towing all kinds of things with his Model X

Bjørn Nyland

<--Towing a pretty big boat

Space shuttle is around 10% the weight of the train loaded with trucks.

Sure, but it's a SPACE SHUTTLE. Plus it's got relatively high friction to contend with being dense and on rubber, vs a train being long and having metal on metal.

Plus, space shuttles are just cooler than trains. Trains feel 1800s, space shuttles feel more modern.

Sure, but it's a SPACE SHUTTLE. Plus it's got relatively high friction to contend with being dense and on rubber, vs a train being long and having metal on metal.

Plus, space shuttles are just cooler than trains. Trains feel 1800s, space shuttles feel more modern.
Neither is really a great example of towing prowess IMO.

The space shuttle is inherently cooler tho :)

Just one problem, the train is actually still in operation.

The car comes with LTE. I don't exactly know how or who pays for it, but it's always there. I first have to register with Tesla to activate the app.
Basic connectivity is included (regular maps, access via the phone app). Premium is required for satellite view maps, traffic, and streaming music. Premium is free for the first year, $100/year after that.

As the mobile network tech marches on there is risk of the car losing connectivity. My Roadster only has a 2G card and AT&T shut down that network recently. In the S and X (and presumably, the 3) the mobile stuff is on a daughter board that can be replaced/upgraded separately from the rest of the system.

Basic connectivity is included (regular maps, access via the phone app). Premium is required for satellite view maps, traffic, and streaming music. Premium is free for the first year, $100/year after that.

As the mobile network tech marches on there is risk of the car losing connectivity. My Roadster only has a 2G card and AT&T shut down that network recently. In the S and X (and presumably, the 3) the mobile stuff is on a daughter board that can be replaced/upgraded separately from the rest of the system.
Thank you! I did not know. I purchased a this 2018 used. If I read it correctly it, I have the streaming package which indicated Premium Connectivity and it will remain active as long as the car is active. Love it!

"All used Tesla cars purchased on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for as long as the car is active."

Back