• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wire Tapping

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had to tap a couple of wires so far, as an example my ignition wire for the trim tabs Aux cable.

I used this, because it is what I bought and what was available. Needless to say it was a PITA, especially trying to put it on the yellow wire/red strip under the dash. Bad angle and I had to crawl in there. I didn't want to undue the harness etc. Nonetheless I got it on and it worked. This is what I used. It didn't seem well made as I was trying to crimp it.

Amazon.com: TICONN 240PCS T-Tap Wire Connectors, Self-Stripping Quick Splice Electrical Wire Terminals, Insulated Male Quick Disconnect Spade Terminals Assortment Kit with Storage Case (240): Home Improvement

I also in the past have used something like these but really don't like them.

G·PEH 125 Solderless Quick Splice Snap Wire Connector, 50 pcs red 22 Through 18 Gauge, 50 pcs Blue 16 Through 14 Gauge, 25 pcs Yellow 12 Through 10 Gauge: Amazon.com: Home Improvement

I need to hook up a few more things tomorrow, and I have to split wires on my blower motor switch for Fume Detector and also a couple of other taps. I went to the local hardware stores as well as Lowe's and home depot and they only have Quick Splice Snap Wire Connector.

I have seen the Y splice connectors, online, but no one around here locally has them. I checked O'Reilly and Advance Auto. I think West Marine has a few in stock but they price them ridiculous. Yes that is $4.29 each. smh. But when I look at it, where they are all connected is exposed? How does is that good in Marine environment or any environment.

ANCOR Nylon 3-Way Connectors | West Marine

What does anyone do? Is there a preferred recommendation on a type to use? The guy at the Hardware store told me to just cut the wire and get a bit bigger butt connector and then put two wires in one side and one wire in the other....... Not sure that sounded like a good thing to do?

Looking for some advice.

shnknapp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
I have had to tap a couple of wires so far, as an example my ignition wire for the trim tabs Aux cable.

I used this, because it is what I bought and what was available. Needless to say it was a PITA, especially trying to put it on the yellow wire/red strip under the dash. Bad angle and I had to crawl in there. I didn't want to undue the harness etc. Nonetheless I got it on and it worked. This is what I used. It didn't seem well made as I was trying to crimp it.

Amazon.com: TICONN 240PCS T-Tap Wire Connectors, Self-Stripping Quick Splice Electrical Wire Terminals, Insulated Male Quick Disconnect Spade Terminals Assortment Kit with Storage Case (240): Home Improvement

I also in the past have used something like these but really don't like them.

G·PEH 125 Solderless Quick Splice Snap Wire Connector, 50 pcs red 22 Through 18 Gauge, 50 pcs Blue 16 Through 14 Gauge, 25 pcs Yellow 12 Through 10 Gauge: Amazon.com: Home Improvement

I need to hook up a few more things tomorrow, and I have to split wires on my blower motor switch for Fume Detector and also a couple of other taps. I went to the local hardware stores as well as Lowe's and home depot and they only have Quick Splice Snap Wire Connector.

I have seen the Y splice connectors, online, but no one around here locally has them. I checked O'Reilly and Advance Auto. I think West Marine has a few in stock but they price them ridiculous. Yes that is $4.29 each. smh. But when I look at it, where they are all connected is exposed? How does is that good in Marine environment or any environment.

ANCOR Nylon 3-Way Connectors | West Marine

What does anyone do? Is there a preferred recommendation on a type to use? The guy at the Hardware store told me to just cut the wire and get a bit bigger butt connector and then put two wires in one side and one wire in the other....... Not sure that sounded like a good thing to do?

Looking for some advice.
If space allows it, I always try to solder any connections, and follow up with shrink wrap. Obviously, that doesn't always work so I've gone with the heat shrink butt connectors. However, I also add another shrink wrap that encompasses the entire butt connector. May be overkill but I'd rather be over cautious.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I do the same thing and shrink wrap the shrink butt connectors.

But my question was specific to tapping an existing wire with a new wire and what type of tap to use.

shnknapp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length

But my question was specific to tapping an existing wire with a new wire and what type of tap to use.
When I was younger and did car audio and space was tight, I would cut the wire and just insert two wires in one end of the butt. Never had an issue.

You could use step down butt connectors but the price is higher.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know how this would work for marine use, or for what your situation is, but I have junction boxes underneath the house at the lake, and it's humid enough that it needs something for electrical splices. They make wire nuts that have some sort of "stuff" in them to make a waterproof connection, and those have been in use for longer than 5 years, at minimum.

Not sure if regular wire nuts and a splooge of silicone into them would work the same, but that's all that I can think of.

If you look on Amazon for waterproof wire connectors, those light blue wire nuts with the red inner piece are what they used under our place. Maybe the other suggestions they have would trigger an idea for you if those wire nuts aren't something you want to use

Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

I used the same type of taps that you did. Sometimes you have no choice because of access. Use a razor blade to pre-score the wire so the crimp can penetrate the insulation more easily. (if you can). I've had occurrences where the tap doesn't penetrate the insulation and you get no connection. I had to tap into my 12v power outlet behind the dash to connect my XMSirius radio, and the taps were the only solution. No way I could get in there and solder and shrink wrap. I would need a mouse to help me out.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I'm doing the same install as you. After pulling out the switch(es) assembly, I cut off the spade terminal and put a new one on with the new (and old) wire connected. Worked like a charm.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Dean P sounds like a plan, will look at doing that

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@Dean P sounds like a plan, will look at doing that
My boat has the yellow spade connectors. I replace with the same color and was able to push it onto the old wire along with the new. Found it best to insert the new smaller diameter in first (1/8") and then the thicker wire. Push on firmly and crimp.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score