• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 195s charting navigating gps option

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Have a new 195s. Has a decent map option on the Connext. Looking for recommendations on an additional gps option that would be able to autoroute or map routes as well as do sonar etc for depth. Last time I went to the outer banks had a rough time of navigating through the shallow waters. Looking for something that would help. Thx in advance. For example the trip from Shakelford Island to the lighthouse is a rough and narrow adventure. Don’t want to break the bank also!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a Garmin Echomap 63cv on the recommendation of a knowledgeable old fisherman at the Cabela’s down the street from where I live for $499 and it works great. The thing I like the most is it has a “depth range shading” option where it displays the map with red/yellow/green shading so it’s easy to tell what type of depths you’re dealing with.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Have a new 195s. Has a decent map option on the Connext. Looking for recommendations on an additional gps option that would be able to autoroute or map routes as well as do sonar etc for depth. Last time I went to the outer banks had a rough time of navigating through the shallow waters. Looking for something that would help. Thx in advance. For example the trip from Shakelford Island to the lighthouse is a rough and narrow adventure. Don’t want to break the bank also!
Have you done the Navionics update? I've found it does a decent job and matches perfectly with the Navionics app on my phone. It doesn't do autorouting (the app does) but the shading lets me know where the shallow parts of 5-8 feet are located. Any less than that, and I don't want to go through those areas as the minimum depth for the jetpump intake is 3 feet anyway. I was planning on getting a Simrad Go 5 to put in the dash but simply don't need it after the update.

You can get a rough idea of what it'll look like by going to the Navionics site and using the chart viewer online. Open the menu and set the options for Safety Depth of 8 feet. That should give you about the same colour for the contours and you can figure out where to go from there.

As a backup you can get the app and sign up for $20 on your phone which has more features.

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks! How do you do the Navionics update?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks! How do you do the Navionics update?

I think that thread has all the info on the card and the update. Basically you just pull out the micro-SD card and use the Navionics Chart Installer program to update your card. You need to select Actia as the brand, then select the update. It took about an hour to download the data and update the card with about 6gigs of data. I then did comparisons between the app and the Connext maps and they were identical. You don't get all the features and you don't have depth numbers, but the contour lines and colours indicate shallow water around 8 feet (dark blue). Things like obstructions (islands, wrecks, rocks, etc.) are marked, along with marinas, channel markers, etc. I find it works well enough for navigation. Fish fans will want a finder/plotter with sonar and more detail, but to safely navigate unknown waters it should be fine.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i put a simrad GO7 in mine, best move ever. I did opt to buy a separate P79 transducer for echo only. Don’t fish and didn’t want something mounted outside the hull. I get solid depth coverage, great Navionics maps and auto routings is an option although not as intuitive as Garmin autoroute but it’s there. Had he Garmin below first.
5073DF17-7926-45D6-BEAB-167A46551396.jpeg
1593783836610.jpeg

Last edited:

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i put a simrad GO7 in mine, best move ever. I did opt to buy a separate P79 transducer for echo only. Don’t fish and didn’t want something mounted outside the hull. I get solid depth coverage, great Navionics maps and auto routings is an option although not as intuitive as Garmin autoroute but it’s there. Had he Garmin below first.
View attachment 124717 And would

Well, hello there. I do like your simrad install. Am interested in setting up my new 195FSH CC Sport with that or a similar model. I have very little interest in fishing but ALOT of interest on my location at the lake(s). Is the P79 transducer an in-hull/thru-hull unit? If so, where is the placement of it? I have NO desire to drill any hole thru hull.
Thank you for sharing.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @robby76 ,
That’s exactly why I bought the P79. Did not want to have something wired out back sticking out as I don’t need that kind of resolution. I also do not fish but the P79 finds a lot of them haha. I mounted the P79 near the factory through hull speedometer wheel , this is a glue in transducer not drill through. It works great. In the picture you will see a third one which was for the Garmin i first had. The p79 is the largest one in diameter.FBD6A8F7-468F-4A08-AEA7-C5136738A0EE.jpeg