• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 212x adding a second amp

Ltwirth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a Yamaha 2020 212x which has a factory wet sounds system and fusion head unit. The factory DSP amp is underpowered and I'd like to split off the sound bar and sub to a second amp. I've been reading that there are some issues with adding an amp to the Fusion head units because Yamaha uses speaker level outputs to the factory amp vs line level RCA outputs. Has anyone added a second amp to the system and how did you have to install it to make it work with the existing system? I've read through a number of posts but none of them seem to confirm how the final install was completed.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a Yamaha 2020 212x which has a factory wet sounds system and fusion head unit. The factory DSP amp is underpowered and I'd like to split off the sound bar and sub to a second amp. I've been reading that there are some issues with adding an amp to the Fusion head units because Yamaha uses speaker level outputs to the factory amp vs line level RCA outputs. Has anyone added a second amp to the system and how did you have to install it to make it work with the existing system? I've read through a number of posts but none of them seem to confirm how the final install was completed.
i don’t know the setup for the 212 but my 2020 240 has the fusion head unit with no amps stock. If you have the same Fusion head unit there are RCA outs on the back, unfortunately Yamaha clipped the RCA out wires so you need to order a new harness, it’s like $20 on Amazon.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
i don’t know the setup for the 212 but my 2020 240 has the fusion head unit with no amps stock. If you have the same Fusion head unit there are RCA outs on the back, unfortunately Yamaha clipped the RCA out wires so you need to order a new harness, it’s like $20 on Amazon.
@Ltwirth That's probably the easiest way to add an amp, use the RCA outs from the head unit. You can simply pull the head unit to check the outputs...many report they're clipped but mine were not and I added an amp without issue.

Ltwirth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was reading on another thread that they tried using the rca’s on the head unit as suggested but with the factory amp also hooked up to the speaker level they were not getting any signal output on the rca’s unless they disconnected the factory harness.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The harness will not work for you. On the X models the RCAs are used but not how you would think. One end plugs directly into the Fusion and the other plugs into the WS amp.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The back of the Fusion Hu looks like this. See all the red white and black wire that are twisted those are the RCAs. 2nd pic is on a '18 242x. 3 pic is a '19 212x all 3 RCAs are there Zone1. Zone2, Sub.

Attachments

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ah so the X models have a modified plug to use the RCA into the DSP amp? If you don't have an amp, then you should have the RCA outs I guess.

In that case, I'd sell the DSP amp and get a Fusion harness with RCA outs and get new HTX amps.

Ltwirth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So is that my best option to get rid of the factory amp and go with a new one for all speakers and connect via replacement fusion line level wiring harness?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So is that my best option to get rid of the factory amp and go with a new one for all speakers and connect via replacement fusion line level wiring harness?
Depends what you want to achieve, but the DSP models Yamaha sources are de-tuned so they're hard to max out and create distortion which blows the speakers. I guess it reduces service issues and complaints if customers can't damage the system when they turn the volume to 100%.

If you want full volume and usable output with normal connections, yeah I'd dump the stock amp, get new ones, and get a replacement Fusion head unit harness with regular RCA outs.

Ltwirth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for your replies. I’m just going to scrap the factory amp as that seems to be the best solution for me.

Ltwirth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The back of the Fusion Hu looks like this. See all the red white and black wire that are twisted those are the RCAs. 2nd pic is on a '18 242x. 3 pic is a '19 212x all 3 RCAs are there Zone1. Zone2, Sub.
How does the Connext System connect to the Fusion Head Unit? Will removing the factory wire harness mess with that functionality?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
How does the Connext System connect to the Fusion Head Unit? Will removing the factory wire harness mess with that functionality?
No, the Fusion has NMEA2k output on a separate round cable.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
In the first pic you can see the NMEA2k connector. It is round.

jacobv23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the same boat and added two additional JL amps. We used an LCi thing and all seems to work fine. I can send some pics this weekend.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for your replies. I’m just going to scrap the factory amp as that seems to be the best solution for me.
Let me know what you go with! I have a 2020 212x and want a little more punch than what the factory amp gives me. I don't want a crazy system as 99.9% of the time I'm with my family and have the radio barely audible. But the rare times I'm at my buddies we crank the music while surfing. Factory amp overheats if we leave that seat closed where the amp is.

jacobv23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Let me know what you go with! I have a 2020 212x and want a little more punch than what the factory amp gives me. I don't want a crazy system as 99.9% of the time I'm with my family and have the radio barely audible. But the rare times I'm at my buddies we crank the music while surfing. Factory amp overheats if we leave that seat closed where the amp is.
So my factory amp is running speakers in boat and stock sub.

I have a JL400/4 running the sound bar

a JL600/1 running second JL M3 sub

this gives everything a dedicated channel and sounds pretty damn good.

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Had the same issue. Add one or two 12v computer fans (see link below). I zipped tied one fan higher into the area where you can’t see it to circulate the air. It is quiet and allows the amp to dissipate the heat, while drying any wet items after surfing. The Yamaha provide amp is tuned to 8 ohms probably for heat and longevity (2017 212X). Use your amp remote wire to power one fan. Anything else, maybe use a voltage relay connected to your amp connectors as a power source. The relay is oversized but it’s only $10 and provides you the ability to add other things when the audio is on.
Cooling Fans Voltage Relay Enjoy!