• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha air filters, need them?

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Yamaha SX192. Do I really need a air filter on my boat. I don’t see my engine getting much dirt on the water.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Some debate on this but why remove it?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My air filter was clogged with oil and wasn’t allowing it to accelerate past 40mph 7000rpm. I removed it at the beginning of the season and have put 60 hours without issue.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have you resolved why it was soaked with oil?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After seeing how well my boat ran in the very cool air one early August morning. I've been scheming on how I can get nice cool fresh DRY air into the engine. So far I've got a lot of convoluted ideas, but nothing really in the works.

I suspect there are some gains to be had from some form of "cool air intake", but have nothing to back up that statement/idea.

There are some risks of water intrusion if you get too creative with intake placement as well.

To answer the question......shouldn't be an issue, but I would keep at least some level of screen on there to keep at least the major sized bits of dirt/debris/bugs/etc out of the engine.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After seeing how well my boat ran in the very cool air one early August morning. I've been scheming on how I can get nice cool fresh DRY air into the engine. So far I've got a lot of convoluted ideas, but nothing really in the works.

I suspect there are some gains to be had from some form of "cool air intake", but have nothing to back up that statement/idea.

There are some risks of water intrusion if you get too creative with intake placement as well.

To answer the question......shouldn't be an issue, but I would keep at least some level of screen on there to keep at least the major sized bits of dirt/debris/bugs/etc out of the engine.
@jEt_jAk did that I think, and of course @SamCF, albeit sc it would be similar I think.

--

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Well I swapped the stock filter box with a CIA. Not really sure if there were any gains TBH. Not that I could notice at least. Maybe if the filter could be outside the engine compartment there would be a better result.

06AD1C33-D1AC-4872-8A05-747C84F06F90.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jEt_jAk @swatski

I had a similar idea. Was considering using some thin wall aluminum tubing, and using the hole behind the swim platform seat backs as the intake location. I think the cool air from outside the engine compartment is key to see any gains at all.

Needs some form of splash guard just to be safe though.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
for testing or diagnosing a problem, no problem,
the way my engine hatch foam insulation is disintegrating and powdering the engine bay, I wouldn't do it long term,

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jEt_jAk @swatski

I had a similar idea. Was considering using some thin wall aluminum tubing, and using the hole behind the swim platform seat backs as the intake location. I think the cool air from outside the engine compartment is key to see any gains at all.

Needs some form of splash guard just to be safe though.
Okay, I didn’t realize @jEt_jAk intake was still inside the engine bay, there are a couple of boats they run the intake to the outside. One issue is to insulate the intake hose/tube from the engine heat.

I’m currently more interested in upgrading the blower fans. The factory blowers are pathetic! And loud.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m currently more interested in upgrading the blower fans. The factory blowers are pathetic! And loud.—
Get strong enough blowers in there, and you can keep the heat down and help engine performance. I'm interested in what you find.

I agree the stock blowers are WAY too loud and don't move much air.

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was thinking if I removed the air filter I could get better performance. But in read the comments I will keep it in.