• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha in San Diego Area?

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Gentlemen,

I was in San Diego for three days and had limited time but checked out Mission Bay briefly, with an eye for suitability of a 21' Yamaha. Unfortunately I didn't get a great feeling about the whole concept, but in fairness I had little time.

Can anyone summarize their experience or provide recommendation for potential Yamaha ownership in the San Diego area? Is it worth it? Are waters worthwhile/suitable? Storage costs (dare I ask)?

I plan to get into spear fishing and I would think a boat would be great, but I think most of the spear fishing in near kelp beds which would be jet boat kryptonite of course.

And then, the standard recreational boating potential in the area? Is it worth taking a boat from Ohio, buying a new trailer for salt water, and storing it?

Best idea ever or worst idea ever?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can't chime in on the costs, but we visited friends on Mission Bay last summer and had a great time on this...
image.jpeg

It would have been so much more fun on my Yammie. Seriously though, we had a great time on the bay. There were a lot of boats out and everyone was very friendly. There was one 242 moored near the rental place.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply!

Anyone else? I've got a huge decision coming up LOL!

jim_bo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I grew up in South OC and went to San Diego State and have lived in the southern part of the state most of my life. It ain't cheap, but there's no place else I'd rather live. In high school my buddy had 19' Bayliner cuddy and my other buddies a 13 and a 14' whaler, and parents of fiends had 32' Catalina and a 30' Catalina blow boats. I spent 14 years as a lifeguard on Orange County beaches - needless to say I've been in, on, under, above and around these waters all of my life. Mission Bay used to be a cess pool (literally) and I still consider it a tourist trap with nasty water. I've raced sail boats, kite boarded, jet skied and SUP'd on it, but won't take our boat there. Now, around the corner (Pt. Loma) is San Diego Bay, and we hit that quite often to motor under the USS Midway, check out the ships, wakeboard down by Coronado and catch concerts on the bay from the boat (and maybe drink a little bit at Joes Crab Shack where you can tie up at their dock). It's pretty idyllic.

As for jet boating, I'm pretty new to these boats, but I've handled rescue skis with sleds, stand ups and sit downs all along the coast and never had an issue sucking kelp - though I've always been cautious of it. With our old I/o boats, I always felt the kelp, but our Yamaha (2003 23') doesn't even get phased, and I've charged over some pretty good kelp patties by accident.

Now, I've noticed these boats do tend to keep a low bow, so you have to be on it a bit to get those nose up, say breaking a harbor entrance from no wake speed. I've also been very impressed how well our our boat handles 2'-4' wind chop compared to our old 18' Galaxy, 20' Reinell and 19' Crownline - that has to do with the added length, I assume, as well as the 20 degree transom dead rise. I believe the 21s have the save deep v and would do just as well (ask the guys and watch the video of the guys charging Bimini!). With young kids, most of our boating is in harbors and immediately coastal, but I wouldn't hesitate a second to charge out to Catalina on our boat (doable most days - a 42 ish mile one way trip from Dana Point, our closest harbor, 32 from Long Beach). Not too sure I'd do Cortez or San Clemente islands on our boats - too far, not much to see - that's for big water boats.

So, really, if you can tolerate the crowds, high cost of living, taxes through the roof, liberals (and staunch die hard republicans, though the minority nowadays), a shocking sense of entitlement and self centeredness, and, well, everything everyone says about California, it is a great place to live and boat (be prepared to pay a luxury tax on your boat too - grrrrrrrrr) Oh, and San Diego also has a few fun little freshwater lakes too, and the Colorado river is 4.5 hours away.

Storage costs are going to be pricey unless you go inland. I could never justify it and just bought what fits in the garage. Inland you'll pay $150/mo, $100/mo and you'll be lucky. I couldn't even tell you what a harbor would charge to leave your boat out to rot - I'm mean, to "store" your boat. Check craigslist for the best rates. That's my $.02.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm reading through this, thank you!!! I did call one storage place today, about $120-130/month outdoor which sucks but at least it doesn't rain much. That was less than I was afraid of actually, so I'm still going to investigate it.

I'll look up the "luxury tax" that doesn't sound good...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The luxury tax applies to all counties in CA. I pay about $400 a year, I think it is 1% annually based on the owner's purchase price because mine never seems to change.

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love going to the bay, it gets pretty busy in the summer with a good mix of boaters, jetskis, fisherman, wind surfers, kayaks......... still my go to spot for a great time.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks a bunch guys. Based on this I'm looking at both options (keep & take to CA, sell and re-buy locally in a few years).

Anyone know if this boat is 50 state legal? That's a big gap in my analysis I realize LOL...

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I've found only one thread on the 'net, and it hints that the boat is 50 state legal.. Anyone can confirm?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@txav8r sold a boat in TX to a couple in CA, he may have some insight into how this works.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well that's a good sign... I'd think if there were CA boat versions there would be a lot more info about it, but it's not really a risk I want to take LOL.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As I recall, it was a. On CA boat (no catalytic converters) coming into CA, they were able to bring it in and get it registered but they had some issues to work out with the DMV, basically they had to find a guy who new the correct rules/policies, what forms to fill out and how. Again, it got done it just took longer than expected. The buyer may have been @Suchawittygal amd her husband.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks @Ronnie , @DoubleThrust , it was @Suchawittygal and @DawgDaze that bought my boat. It was a huge headache for not only them but for me, at least stress wise. CA made it seem an unsurmountable challenge. Danny took it all the way to the DMV headquarters in Sacramento. Jetboats are exempt from the law that requires emissions equipment. Funny, because it caused a whole hoopla for Yamaha's manufacturing and they even changed engines to meet the CARB rules. But as far as resale goes, back in 2013, the rules exempted preowned jetboats from the requirement when bringing from out of state. Maybe Danny or Cheryl know if the rules are the same. I will prompt them to look here and comment.

I love the weather in San Diego, it is probably the second best weather in the US, second only to Hawaii. And I expect that is why it is the most expensive place in the lower 48!

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Oh crap. Ok well any additional input is great from @Suchawittygal and @DawgDaze, this is a lot more than I had before though....

DawgDaze

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello @DoubleThrust ! @txav8r is absolutely correct on this matter. We went through some stressful times
getting the Nauti Dawg registered. A jet boat in California to Sacramento is just a big jet ski. I called them and they asked me if it was inboard or outboard. I explained it was a jet boat and 2 weeks later I had my decals.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So.. That sounds doable. It was stressful because you had to figure it out the first time, or I should expect a PITA also?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
From what I gather, it depends on where you take it for registration. Most of the out offices don't have a clue apparently, but a number of folks have had them registered without issue, so when Danny went to get it done and had issues, it was his wherewithal that took him to the top to get answers. I would start at the top! lol

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Great. This heads up type info is really really helpful. Thank you team!

Maybe I should call them now... I don't want to drive the thing to Sacramento, but a call is fine LOL.

Last edited:

DawgDaze

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I talked to them on the phone and mine were mailed to me and they never saw my boat. Good luck to you and maybe we'll see you on a lake sometime!