• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha jet boat not turning left above 5 rpm

Declan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi all, I have a 2019 Yamaha AR195. This season noticed that boat doesn't want to steer left at higher rpms. Seems to be above 5k rpm when we turn left it barely turns to left. Going right is fine and turns on a dime. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and figured out the issue. Thanks.

Hi all, I have a 2019 Yamaha AR195. This season noticed that boat doesn't want to steer left at higher rpms. Seems to be above 5k rpm when we turn left it barely turns to left. Going right is fine and turns on a dime. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and figured out the issue. Thanks.
Disconnect the cable and and try to turn the steering wheel to see if the cable is binding.

Does the wheel turn but the boat does not? Turning left extends the cable and "pushes" the nozzle. It seems you can't overcome the higher force at 5k+ rpm to push the nozzle. Cable buckling or something?Turning right "pulls" the nozzle and would probably be easier to accomplish aside from a fully broken cable.

Have someone hold the nozzle and try to turn left, or block it with a 2x4 and see what happens to the cable and connections.

Take the boat out of the water and turn the helm all the way starboard and then to port. Observe the jets and see if they move the same distance to port and starboard. You may just need to adjust the cable...

With broken cables I found they will usually push the nozzle as long as the inner broken parts are within the outer cable housing. but not pull it because the 2 parts of the inner cable are actually not attached, thus when I do 60 mph turns 2 feet from the mangrove trees I usually do a left turn so I don't break a cable and end up a half mile in the trees. It may just be a seriously out of center steering cable or a helm issue or a nozzle bushing problem or a bolt in the reverse hood is too long and hitting the inner nozzle.

Thanks all. Steering turns easily left or right at any speed. Boat just barely turns left when above 5k rpm as if nozzle is getting pushed back straight. While floating I jumped in the water and had my son turn full right and left. Nozzle seemed to move same distance both ways. Will take a closer look at the cable and connectors and try creating resistance by holding or blocking it like
Wishfull1 suggested.

Last edited:
Got a chance to look at boat again yesterday. When turned all the way left I'm able to grab the fin under the nozzle and push it back to the right a decent amount. When turned less to the left it seems locked in place and when turned all the way right I'm not able to push back to the left. So like mentioned the drag of the water at higher speeds must be pushing it back toward center. When turned to the left, it feels like the casing for the cable just before it goes into the transom seems frayed and when I push the fin to the right it seems to buckle out a bit at that spot. There's also a plastic casing around the cable in between the transom and steering plate that just seems to be floating and slides back and forth. When turned full left and I push that casing all the way forward toward the transom to where the cable enters, the steering plate is locked and I cannot push back to center like before. Does anyone know what the casing is for and proper positioning or installation? Wondering if it's supposed to be locked in position up by the transom. In the parts diagram looks like there's supposed to be a clamp somewhere but hard to tell where from the diagram. Attached are some pics but not great as I had to take them from the water. Brown colored casing with two black ends is the part sliding back and forth and when pushed all the forward prevent the full left steering from being loose.

Attachments

• 20220707_163155.jpg
    20220707_163155.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220707_162651.jpg
    20220707_162651.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 38
I believe you have found your problem. The sleeve should be slipped all the way to the transom and is secured by the rubber boot. If you can't get it to stay put, you can try a zip tie around the boot at the transom.

You don't state your location, but if you are salt water, you are surely going to have to replace the cable in the very near future because of water intrusion into the cable (rust=binding). Even if you are fresh water, you can try and get a little more life out of it by pulling the boat out of the water, shooting some lube/grease into the cable and secure the boot.

Check out this thread with similar problem with the sleeve. https://jetboaters.net/threads/yamaha-242-steering-cable-“sleeve”.34097/

Attachments

• IMG_20220708_144617065.jpg
    IMG_20220708_144617065.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back