• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha moving on from the MR1

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sold my Seadoo Challenger 255hp model due to being louder than I would like. Was looking at a 2014 212x, but concerned about noise. I hear the 2016 242's make a great improvement in noise reduction.
You are correct. The 2017 212s will be all new though, so watch out for those.

--

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My seadoo 210 (430hp) I feel is quieter than my 242LS was. I assume the '15+ 24'ers are quieter than my seadoo. I think everyone is under the assumption the '17 21'ers will get that same sound deadening treatment. We'll know soon enough!

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't heard any "official rumors" about them coming to the boats, but since they discontinued the MR1's, the TR1's would be an ideal replacement for the 21'ers for people who want the 21' boat but come in at a lower price point than the 1.8's, like myself. I also think you have to ask, since the 21'er is the oldest in the fleet, has lots of shiny new competition in the marketplace, and potentially has brand new engine option, wouldn't this also be a great time for a new 21' hull so they can market the full package as a completely new boat?

Looks like the 21 foot hulls typically run on a 6 Year life cycle. Most recently 2007-2012 and projected 2013-2018 with a new one for model year 2019.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like the 21 foot hulls typically run on a 6 Year life cycle. Most recently 2007-2012 and projected 2013-2018 with a new one for model year 2019.
That's going to leave a lot of us disappointed. Bummer! God damnit Yamaha give us new shiny things! I love my Yami, but the more I get into water sports and the more time I spend on inboard v-drives, the more I want one, so that's probably what I will do on my next boat. Especially since everyone is copying Yamaha and adding rear facing transom seats. That was one of the biggest selling points for me. Beside, replacing props is fun, right?

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's going to leave a lot of us disappointed. Bummer! God damnit Yamaha give us new shiny things! I love my Yami, but the more I get into water sports and the more time I spend on inboard v-drives, the more I want one, so that's probably what I will do on my next boat. Especially since everyone is copying Yamaha and adding rear facing transom seats. That was one of the biggest selling points for me. Beside, replacing props is fun, right?
This is just speculation based on prior history. You never know, they could feel the pressure from Scarab/Chaparral and change things up early. This is something they didn't have in 07-12. I know BMW is drifting from their traditional 7 year life cycle on some of their car models due to feeling the pressure from Merc, Porshe and Audi.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does anyone recall seeing any spy shots of the new hulls out for testing before the actually unveiling/release? Similar to the way car manufactures do with theirs. They are typically all camo'd out.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone recall seeing any spy shots of the new hulls out for testing before the actually unveiling/release? Similar to the way car manufactures do with theirs. They are typically all camo'd out.
We have not seen any this year.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe we should enlist the services of 007 @Ronnie with his fleet of drones to get some pics.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have not seen any this year.
This is proof of 1 of these things:

1. there is no Internet in heaven. . . . MikeyL would have told us by now.

2. YAMAHA isn't testing anything new

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All signs point out to a new 210 with TR-1s. New hull, too, but I would not be surprised if it's just updated with soundproofing and a rudder fixed to the ride plates, same as in the new 190/192s.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the new engines are not in any of Yamaha's pwcs yet (I don't know, haven't been in the market for a new PWC), id bet they are not making it into the sport jet boats this coming year.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the new engines are not in any of Yamaha's pwcs yet (I don't know, haven't been in the market for a new PWC), id bet they are not making it into the sport jet boats this coming year.
TR1s have been in PWCs this year. I believe they will need a higher output TR1 for boats.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe they will need a higher output TR1 for boats.
The new TR-1's match up very well with the old non-HO MR-1 motors. Yamaha has a huge price gap between the 19 and 21 footers, where the price jumps from $35K to $45K. A non HO SX and AR 21 footers would fill this gap perfectly, same as the older SX and AR model. Essentially the same way the price transitions from the 21 to base 24 footer models.

Sure the 1.8's give some sporty performance to the 21 ft model, but with my non-HO motors, I have never had a problem with water sports and needing more power. The TR-1 will do great. I look forward to seeing them.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pretty sure turbo diesel motors will make their debut this year.:winkingthumbsup"

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pretty sure turbo diesel motors will make their debut this year.:winkingthumbsup"
Let's skip straight to a turbo diesel generator charging an electric drive system.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let's skip straight to a turbo diesel generator charging an electric drive system.
Or for those that like SubMoves, Nuclear powered. . . . .

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The biggest reason Yamaha loses customers to other brands is that they move on to a dedicated wake boat. Yamaha needs a true wake boat with a hull designed to shape the wake that addresses the jet wash issue. Hopefully we will see the 210 reintroduced with the TR1 engine and the 212 become a true wake boat.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will say my SX210 will hit 48 on bad day and has seen 50. Not sure where you are seeing low 40's. I will say the HO motors have more oomph out of the hole compared to mine, having run many side to side with other HO 21's.[/QUOTE]
Mine sx210 will only run 38 mph maybe on a good day.